• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

S+M staff are great

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe

• Total voters

marcc5m

what
Years
  • Hey all, this isn't to do with move sets buuut,,
    I have a level 100 cresselia with
    hp- 369
    attack- 157
    defense- 245
    special attack- 167
    special defense- 321
    speed- 192

It has a gentle nature.

Do you lot think this is EV trained? I am unsure at what stats cresselias have at level 100.

Hey all, this isn't to do with move sets buuut,,
    hp- 369
    attack- 157
    defense- 245
    special attack- 167
    special defense- 321
    speed- 192

It has a gentle nature.

Do you lot think this is EV trained? I am unsure at what stats cresselias have at level 100.

If it is Gentle nature, I doubt anyone would EV train it lol.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    hp- 369
    attack- 157
    defense- 245
    special attack- 167
    special defense- 321
    speed- 192

It has a gentle nature.

hp- 369
    attack- 157
    defense- 245
    special attack- 167
    special defense- 321
    speed- 192

It has a gentle nature.

Nope, it isn't EV trained. I checked. x3

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • Been a while since I posted here, buuut, that doesn't matter. Was looking for a good set for Haxorus, since my non-EV trained one works well.
    I have this so far:
    Haxorus @ Life Orb
    Mold Breaker
    EVs: 252 ATK / 252 SPD/ 4 HP
    Jolly Nature
    Moves:
    Outrage
    Dragon Dance
    Earthquake
    Brick Break

Is this set OK?

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2011
    In regards to Tailwind.

While reading this, please keep in mind that I'm specifically talking about triple battles:

What is up with Tailwind? Was its effect recently disabled for random online fights? Why is it that I've been outran in three consecutive battles in rating mode?

In free mode, it doubled my speed like it was supposed to and it sped me up on the turn that it was used (which is normally the first, assuming nobody stops my Prankster Whimsicott with a higher priority move). Now things that haven't gained a speed boost are outrunning me despite the fact that things like Darmanitan, Porygon-Z, and Mienshao (all of whom have either the Adamant or Modest nature with a perfect speed IV and 252 speed EVs) had their speed doubled. With Tailwind, I should even be outrunning most things with a Choice Scarf since I get a 2x speed boost instead of a 1.5x speed boost.

I also noticed in a match that I had yesterday that somebody's Thundurus was outran by my Mienshao immediately after being sped up by my opponent's Whimsicott's Tailwind at the end of the battle. Both of us used Tailwind on the first turn, but my Whimsicott was KO'd before mine petered out, so I know I didn't use the move again. The thing is that, while I saw the message telling me that my opponent's went out, I never saw the message telling me that mine did. Until my Mienshao somehow outran Thundurus, I'd just assumed that I just wasn't paying enough attention to the battle captions.

Is there something about this move that I'm just not understanding? I'm sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be detailed. I'd've just posted the battle video numbers if I'd thought to save any of the three videos from today or if my opponent from yesterday didn't quit on me before I could save the fight.

Edit: Reading up on the move elsewhere, I have more than one place saying that the move raises the move by one stage instead of two. If this is true, then that makes Bulbapedia wrong and I retract my previous statement about how my team should be able to outrun most Choice Scarf users. Still, though, I should still be outrunning most things that don't have a speed boost, so I'm still confused about what's happening here.

Last edited:

Skapocalypse

Im back! :3
    Years
  • I was looking at Dreamworld abilities and I saw that Hitmonlee gets an ability that doubles his speed whenever he uses a hold item. I was wondering if this set could possibly be any good.

Hitmonlee@Fighting Gem (Or could use a stat boosting berry)
    Unburden
    Adamant

252 atk/252 Speed/4 hp

Close Combat/Hi Jump Kick
    Stone Edge/Rock Slide
    Mach Punch
    Blaze Kick/Endure (If using stat berry)

Any thoughts? comments?

Any help would be helpful :)

Last edited:

Raichupacabra

Villain
    Years
  • Mightyena @ Life Orb
    6 HP/ 252 Attack / 252 Speed
    Ability: Moxie
    Howl
    Sucker Punch
    Fire Fang
    Return

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Defense / 6 Sp.Atk
    Protect
    Toxic
    Leech Seed
    Giga Drain

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • What nature would be better for Jellicent: Bold, or Calm? Calm boosts its already good Special Defense, but Bold lets it take physical hits better (with 252 Def EVs). I'm stuck between both natures and was wondering which one is better.

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2011
    This will be my first competitive pokemon.

Victini (fire/psy) @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Victory Star
    EVs: 252HP/252 SpA/6 Spe
    Nature: Modest (+SpA,-Att)
    - Fire Blast (Fire TM: 120/85 10% burn)
    - Psychic (Psychic TM: 90/100 may reduce targets SpD)
    - Energy Ball (Grass TM: 80/100 may reduce targets SpD)
    - Shadow Ball (Ghost TM: 80/100 may reduce targets SpD)

Black is my first Pokemon game. My pool of pokemon is limited but I've finished the core storyline and acquired the promotional Victini. I thought that would be a good choice for training my first competitive pokemon. I read up on natures, EVs and IVs but am limited in practice. What I'd like is a well-rounded comptetive pokemon that would be a welcome addition to just about any team I might make. This Victini is of modest nature (+Sp.Att,-Att) so I figure I'd focus on special attacks. His promotional physical attack looks super-awesome but I don't have it and from what I can tell his special attacks are pretty solid.

252 HP, 252 Sp.Att, 6 Speed

My thought is that the extra HP bulk is better for a general-use Pokemon since I don't know what teams he might be in, or if he will be for 1v1, 3v3 or whatever format. I don't really even know what the various formats are since I'm brand new to this. Reviewing team construction, I've seen that most attack pokemon are termed sweepers and usually choose speed over HP. I'd like to know if I should follow suit and put 252 in speed. From what I've read Victini has been shown to be subpar for a full-out SpA sweeper. I'm guessing most people tried him with 252 speed. Since that hasn't worked, I thought I'd try HP. I'm torn in this aspect.

I checked this guy's IVs and unfortunately they are bad. Closest estimate is HP 8, Att 2, Def 2, SpA 18, SpD 19, Spe 21. At least the higher numbers are in decent stats. I don't know if that information will help you give advice on how I should proceed. So far I've put 252 EVs into SpA.

Rocky Helmet

Frankly I haven't researched the items much and I'm not sure how inhibiting the choice items are. This seemed like a decent and generic option.

Fire Blast

My STAB fire attack. Chosen over Searing Shot to take advantage of Victory Star ability. This will miss 1 out of 20 attacks. Will be my primary attack. Used against eight types: Grass 3x, Ice 3x, Bug 3x, Steel 3x, Normal 1.5x, Electric 1.5x, Flying 1.5x and Dark 1.5x.

Psychic

My STAB psychic attack. This will be used against four types: Fighting 3x, Poison 3x, Fire 1.5x and Dragon 1.5x.

Energy Ball

Filler grass attack to cover weaknesses to Water, Ground and Rock. It deals 2x damage to those types. Those are three types of pokemon that are exceptionally dangerous to Victini as they all do 3x damage. I'm not sure if Grass Knot is a better option. I guess it depends how heavy typical pokemon of those types are.

Shadow Ball

My secondary filler, this ghost attack covers weaknesses to Psychic and Ghost and will deal 2x damage to those types. This would be the attack I'd drop for some sort of utility attack, if one is recommended. With all the hype about Chandelure, I chose this.

I've chosen four damaging special attacks. I'm a bit unhappy not to be taking better advantage of Victory Star. All in all, the attacks have good coverage. No attack should just deal base 1x damage to any single-type Pokemon. To summarize:

3x damage (6): Grass, Ice, Bug, Steel, Fighting, Poison
    2x damage (5): Water, Ground, Rock, Psychic, Ghost
    1.5x damage (6): Normal, Electric, Flying, Dark, Fire, Dragon

Just to reiterate, this is my first attempt at training a competitive mon. All that is set in stone at the moment is a modest Victini with 252 points in SpA, as I've already trained them.

Thanks in advance for any advice given. The more in-depth the better!

Years
  • I'm starting a sun team, consisting of BL/OU pokemon, my main two pokemon being ninetales (obviously) and arcanine. the movesets I've got for them so far are:

Ninetales @Leftovers
    252 HP / 6 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    Ability: Drought
    -Flamethrower
    -Toxic
    -Disable
    -Substitute

Arcanine @Life Orb
    EVs: 148 Atk / 124 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Rash Nature
    Ability: Intimidate
    -Fire Blast
    -Close Combat
    -Extremespeed/Wild Charge/Dragon Pulse
    -Morning Sun

although the thing is, I'm not sure about any other team mates to use. anyone have any suggestions?
    right now I'm thinking venusaur/lilligant would be a good choice because they have chlorophyll and can handle swampert.

Last edited:

marcc5m

what
    Years
  • How's this as a lead Politoed?
    Politoed @Leftovers
    Nature: Calm
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 58HP/194SAtk/252/Sdef
    ~ Hypnosis
    ~ Encore
    ~ Scald
    ~ Ice Beam

Years
    • Seen May 23, 2016
    pokemon characteristics

are 30iv's in health for tyranitar ok or should i keep aiming for 31?

pm me for the fastest way of contact

t99zz
    thanks

Years
  • Help, New to Competitive Battles

I just started wanting to do competitive battles but i dont know pokemon off the back of my hand like IVs/EVs Natures etc.

But i really want these pokemon in my team

Gallade, Honchcrow, Fortress and Kingdra

i only have the move sets and that for Gallade

Gallade
    Lv. 100
    Nature. Jolly
    Train Sp.Def ev and Hp evs
    Moveset -

- Bulk Up
    - Hypnosis
    - Shadow Sneek
    - Drain Punch

Could anyone help with the Evs and moveset and 2 other pokemon which would suite well with my team? Thanks

Eliterazor

Legendary Master
    Years
  • A good team

I just started wanting to do competitive battles but i dont know pokemon off the back of my hand like IVs/EVs Natures etc.

But i really want these pokemon in my team

Gallade, Honchcrow, Fortress and Kingdra

i only have the move sets and that for Gallade

Gallade
    Lv. 100
    Nature. Jolly
    Train Sp.Def ev and Hp evs
    Moveset -

- Bulk Up
    - Hypnosis
    - Shadow Sneek
    - Drain Punch

Could anyone help with the Evs and moveset and 2 other pokemon which would suite well with my team? Thanks

Well, Kingdra could be a special attacker or an attacker, it has the same base stats pretty much. Though I would go for a Jolly Kingdra as it can learn Outrage which is dead powerful, something like this then...
    Kingdra - Jolly
    252 EV attack/252 EV Speed/ the remaining 4 in whatever you want.
    (It should have Swift Swim)
    Moveset-
    Rain Dance
    Waterfall
    Outrage
    Dragon dance or substitute depending on your style of play, or you could replace with it another attack move.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Forretress is a huge wall with great defence, not so much great sp defence.
    Forretress - Careful
    100 EV HP/ 156 EV Defence/ 252 Sp Defence
    Moveset-
    Spikes
    Rapid spin
    Explosion
    And giving how Forretress has terrible speed possibly Payback.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Honchkrow has some really handy tools, so it should also be used as a physical attacker.
    Honckrow - Adamant/Jolly
    252 EV attack/252 EV Speed/ EV HP
    Moveset-
    Bravebird
    Drill Peck
    Superpower
    Steel wing
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Though thats leaves you with a lot of physical attackers, you'll need more Sp attackers. I recommend Starmie it has a great movepool and it's quite brick the breaker.

Starmie - Timid
    252 EV SpAttack/252 EV Speed/4 EV HP
    Moveset-
    Psychic
    Thunderbolt
    Ice beam
    Hydro Pump (or surf for better accuracy)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

I would also recommend a Gengar, it's fast, good movepool and has a great status inflicter.

Gengar - Timid
    252 EV Sp attack/ 252 EV Speed/ 4 EV HP
    Moveset-
    Hypnosis
    Shadow Ball
    Focus Blast
    Thunderbolt

These are just my personal choices, I guess no one's wrong, anyway hope you have luck with your team.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2011
    My Drifblim

Hi, my Drifblim is going to be in my final team and i was wondering anyone could help me by telling me if what i've done to it was good so these are it's moves...

Double Team
    Ominous Wind
    Will-o-Wisp
    Acrobatics

I have EV'd it in speed so the double team will be used for the first two moves so they find it hard to land hits. Ominous wind is a good STAB move which has a small chance of raising all of it's stats. Acrobatics is another good STAB as it does lots with no item. Will-o-Wisp would be used after Double Team to give me another advantage.

Thanks for your time :11:

Eliterazor

Legendary Master
    Years
  • Thanks il try to go for it.
    Will it be hard trying to get all the natures and EVs?

- Apex

Not hard, just a bit long. EV training takes like...Maximum 2-3 hours even less when done correctly, natures...I guess you have to breed them, or if you have a sychronizer with the nature you want, there's a 50% more chance of picking up the desired nature. Remember to also use vitamins when EV training, it's a handy way to train faster, not to mention Pokerus and power items. Shouldn't take too long. You could also go for IVs, but that's a bit advanced and is mostly luck, though there are methods to get some good IVs.

Good luck.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • If this is for competitive then forget about Double Team, it's banned.

Replace Ominous Wind with Shadow Ball, and make sure the Nature doesn't hinder it's offensive stats, go for Naughty/Rash/Mild/Naive/Hasty.

Erufuun

apple bunny lover <3
    Years
  • Bumping this for the new page.

Well, while this does work, I'd rather go with the Politoed that hits like a bus.

Politoed @ Choice Spec
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 Spl Att/ 252 Spd/ 6 HP
    -Hydro Pump
    -Ice Beam
    -Focus Blast
    -Hypnosis

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    are 30iv's in health for tyranitar ok or should i keep aiming for 31?

pm me for the fastest way of contact

t99zz
    thanks

30 is fine if you're willing to settle for it.

I'm starting a sun team, consisting of BL/OU pokemon, my main two pokemon being ninetales (obviously) and arcanine. the movesets I've got for them so far are:

Ninetales @Leftovers
    252 HP / 6 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    Ability: Drought
    -Flamethrower
    -Toxic
    -Disable
    -Substitute

Arcanine @Life Orb
    EVs: 148 Atk / 124 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Rash Nature
    Ability: Intimidate
    -Fire Blast
    -Close Combat
    -Extremespeed/Wild Charge/Dragon Pulse
    -Morning Sun

although the thing is, I'm not sure about any other team mates to use. anyone have any suggestions?
    right now I'm thinking venusaur/lilligant would be a good choice because they have chlorophyll and can handle swampert.

Both of those movesets look fine. Venusaur is definitely a good partner on any Drought team because it's speedy, bulky and hits hard.

Venusaur @ Life Orb / Leftovers
    ability: Chlorophyll
    nature: Modest
    evs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
    ~ Energy Ball
    ~ Growth (it's like Nasty Plot + Swords Dance in the sun)
    ~ Sludge Bomb
    ~ Hidden Power [Fire]

Victini (fire/psy) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Victory Star
    EVs: 252 Speed/252 SpA/6 Spe
    Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
    - Fire Blast
    - Psychic / Psyshock
    - Thunder / Thunderbolt
    - Focus Blast

Thunder and Focus Blast respectively give better supereffective/neutral coverage iirc and both kinda abuse Victory Star (but Thunder only goes up to 77% accuracy so who knows if you really want to use that or Thunderbolt). You also want Speed > HP; Victini's typing isn't good enough to be taking any strong hits no matter how much investment it has. It'd much rather outspeed them and damage them first. Life Orb lets you hit harder because Rocky Helmet isn't doing anything for you. Lastly, Psyshock can be used to hit Pokemon that are more specially defensive in their weaker stat, but Psychic is just as viable.

Back