• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Requesting general help on my Pokemon team

Bubonic

Amateur Poke Trainer
    Years
    Thanks for taking some time to check this thread out and possibly help me. I'm new to Pokecommunity so bare with me. I'm nearly finished(Update: I have beat the elite four finally =)) with the game and would like to begin breeding a team of six Pokemon but I'm completely inexperienced with how to approach it. I've already decided on what six Pokemon I wan't in my party for the most part. I'm mainly doing this for fun and because I like the Pokemon, so don't think I'm trying to make a super competitive team out of them. I still wan't them to be the best they can be for what they are and be happy with the Pokemon I've chosen. I would love any help/advice on what natures to use as well as which two stats to concentrate my EV training on for each of the ones I've picked. Move set recommendations are also appreciated and feel free to recommend other Pokemon because I'm open minded and I'll take advice where I can get it. So lets begin with the main six I'm considering.

Garchomp: Dragon/Ground
    Nature/Jolly
    Ability/Rough Skin
    Item/Eviolite
    Spec/252 Atk & Spd

-Swords Dance
    -Dragon Claw
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge

Heat Rotom: Electric/Fire
    Nature/Calm
    Ability/Levitate
    Item/Leftovers
    Spec/252 Hp & SpD

-Overheat
    -Thunderbolt
    -Thunder Wave
    -Will-O-Wisp

Greninja: Water/Dark
    Nature/Hasty
    Ability/Protean
    Item/Expert Belt
    Spec/252 SpA & Spd

-Dark Pulse
    -Hydro Pump
    -Ice Beam
    -U Turn

Skarmory: Steel/Flying
    Nature/Careful
    Item/Leftovers
    Spec/252 Hp & SpD

-Stealth Rock
    -Whirlwind
    -Roost
    -Brave Bird

Alakazam: Psychic
    Nature/Timid
    Ability/Magic Guard
    Item/Life Orb
    Spec/252 SpA & Spd

-Psyshock
    -Dazzling Gleam
    -Shadow Ball
    -Focus Blast

Medicham: Fighting/Psychic
    Nature/Adamant
    Ability/Pure Power
    Item/Medichamite
    Spec/252 Atk & Spd

I'm really considering using Gengar because hes awesome, but I'm not sure who I'd replace him with.

Other Pokemon I love and would consider for the team:

Aegislash
    Sharpedo
    Tyrantrum
    Sylveon
    Umbreon
    Espeon
    Gyarados
    Malamar
    Solrock/Lunatone
    Steelix
    Drapion
    Chandelure
    Conkeldurr
    Scizor

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Salamence has a harder time in OU nowadays because of all the Fairies running around, but if you insist:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Outrage/Dragon Claw
    -Earthquake
    -Fire Blast
    Nature: Naive
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry

Regular Houndoom won't cut it anymore this generation. Its Mega form, on the other hand, should be used:
    -Fire Blast
    -Dark Pulse/Destiny Bond
    -Solar Beam/Hidden Power (Ground/Fighting)
    -Sunny Day/Destiny Bond
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Houndoominite
    Ability: Flash Fire

Zoroark suffers from the same problem that Salamence has. Greninja is the ideal Dark Pokemon to use; though it has a Fairy and Fighting weakness, Protean can circumvent this:
    -Hydro Pump/Surf
    -Ice Beam/Dark Pulse
    -Extrasensory/Dark Pulse
    -U-turn/Hidden Power (Fire)
    Nature: Hasty/Timid
    EVs: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Protean

or
    -Spikes
    -Hydro Pump/Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -U-turn/Extrasensory
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash

Skarmory is best used with this set. It's been known for its physical walling capabilities since G/S/C:
    -Spikes/Stealth Rock
    -Whirlwind
    -Roost
    -Brave Bird/Defog
    Nature: Impish/Careful
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef or 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Sturdy

Espeon is a viable Pokemon, but it has to use Magic Bounce so that it's not outclassed in OU:
    -Reflect
    -Light Screen
    -Psychic
    -Hidden Power (Fire)/Baton Pass
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Light Clay
    Ability: Magic Bounce

or
    -Psychic/Psyshock
    -Shadow Ball/Hidden Power (Fire/Ground)
    -Dazzling Gleam
    -Grass Knot/Shadow Ball
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Choice Specs
    Ability: Magic Bounce

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    For Machamp, this is probably your best option:

-Machamp w/Leftovers
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: No Guard
    EVs: 212 HP, 252 Attack, 44 Speed
    Moves: Dynamic Punch, Stone Edge, Bulk Up/Substitute, Poison Jab/Bullet Punch

I tried to make it so there are no PokeBank only moves, in case you don't have Black2/White2 or if Nintendo decides to release the Bank a million years from now (so no Thunder/Ice Punch).

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I know that you've already decided what Pokémon you want on your team, but if you like, though, you could still try replacing Skarmory with Forretress. It may not have access to any recovery moves like Skarmory, but at least it's able to Rapid Spin.

Forretress @ Leftovers
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    - Rapid Spin
    - Spikes / Stealth Rock
    - Volt Switch
    - Gyro Ball / Hidden Power Ice

If you wish to use it as a lead, then you should probably go with this set:

Forretress @ Custap Berry
    Nature: Lax
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spikes / Toxic Spikes
    - Explosion
    - Gyro Ball / Rapid Spin

Bubonic

Amateur Poke Trainer
    Years
    @PlatinumDude:
    Thanks for your lengthy recommendation, I greatly appreciate it! I do like your Greninja recommendation and its ironic because that's the pokemon I chose on my playthrough. Couple questions I'd like to shoot your way, hope you don't mind!
    1) So people are using a lot of Fairy types in competitive battles?
    2) What does OU mean?
    3) What are your thoughts on trading out Zoroark for Umbreon and Espeon for maybe Gengar? Or would salamence be a better one to trade out for something?

@No Chance Without Zekrom:
    Thanks for helpin out with Machamp, I've always loved him. Don't really know what you mean by the Pokebank moves but I'll look into it!
    @Nymphadora:
    I've never really given Forretress any thought. Pretty interesting pokemon. So you favor Forretress over Skarmory and the Rapid Spin is a favorable move I'm guessing? Thanks for helping!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    @PlatinumDude:
    Thanks for your lengthy recommendation, I greatly appreciate it! I do like your Greninja recommendation and its ironic because that's the pokemon I chose on my playthrough. Couple questions I'd like to shoot your way, hope you don't mind!
    1) So people are using a lot of Fairy types in competitive battles?
    2) What does OU mean?
    3) What are your thoughts on trading out Zoroark for Umbreon and Espeon for maybe Gengar? Or would salamence be a better one to trade out for something?

1. Fairy Pokemon are somewhat commonplace. Some Dragons struggle to deal with them, like Salamence.
    2. OU means Overused. That's the standard environment in competitive battling
    3. As I said before, use Greninja instead of Zoroark. Dragon Pokemon that are still viable include Dragonite, Mega Charizard X and Garchomp:

Dragonite:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Outrage/Dragon Claw
    -Extreme Speed
    -Fire Punch/Thunder Punch/Earthquake
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Lum Berry/Weakness Policy
    Ability: Multiscale

Charizard X:
    -Dragon Dance
    -Flare Blitz
    -Dragon Claw/Outrage
    -Earthquake/Roost
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Charizardite X
    Ability: Blaze

or
    -Fire Punch
    -Dragon Claw
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Roost
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 248 HP/84 SDef/176 Spe
    Item: Charizardite X
    Ability: Blaze

Garchomp:
    -Swords Dance
    -Outrage/Dragon Claw
    -Earthquake
    -Fire Fang/Stone Edge
    Item: Lum Berry/Yache Berry

or
    -Outrage
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge/Fire Fang/Fire Blast
    -Dragon Claw/Dual Chop
    Item: Choice Scarf/Choice Band

Bubonic

Amateur Poke Trainer
    Years
    @PlatinumDude:
    Garchomp is a pretty cool Pokemon and I've always been a fan of Dragonite. Only reason I picked Zoroark is because its a cool lookin pokemon but thats not always a reason to have em on your team so I guess he can get the boot. Thanks for answering my questions. Also, I added more Pokemon considerations if you think I should use one of them!
    1. Fairy Pokemon are somewhat commonplace. Some Dragons struggle to deal with them, like Salamence.
    2. OU means Overused. That's the standard environment in competitive battling
    3. As I said before, use Greninja instead of Zoroark. Dragon Pokemon that are still viable include Dragonite, Mega Charizard X and Garchomp:!

Bubonic

Amateur Poke Trainer
    Years
    I've changed up my 'seal team six' Pokemon party quite a bit since I first posted. I got rid of Salamence, Zoroark, and Espeon. I've also thrown in the natures, items, and specs I'm going to use. I'll be adding the desired move sets as well once I get around to it. So does my team seem balanced enough to you guys? Also, I'm trying to have a unique and original team, so I hope you think they are cool Pokemon too!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2014
    Get rid of Machamp for Medicham. Here's why:

Mega Medicham's max attack stat with 31 IVs, 252 EVs, and a beneficial nature is 328. It's ability is pure power, which doubles it's attack stat, making that 328 into 656.

(Mega) Medicham:
    -Powerup Punch
    -Zen Headbutt
    -Ice Punch/Thunder Punch
    -Fire Punch
    Item: Medichamite
    Ability: Pure Power

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2014
    Well, if you had to use Mega Medicham (Which I would highly recommend), perhaps you could switch out Houndoom for Volcarona. You could run a set like:

Volcarona @ Life Orb
    Nature:Modest or Timid
    EVs: 252 SpAtk, 252 Spe, 6 HP
    Moves: Fiery Dance, Quiver Dance, Bug Buzz, Hurricane/Other

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Skarmory's nature should be Impish, and should hold either Leftovers or a Shed Shell.

When I said PokeBank only moves, there are some moves that are only available to Pokemon via move tutors, which exist in Black2/White2, but not X/Y (ok there's the ones for Draco Meteor, the starter hyper beams, and Relic Song/Secret Sword, but still). So you'd need the PokeBank for the Pokemon to know those moves.

But as it turns out, you can breed Thunder Punch and Ice Punch onto a Machamp in X/Y.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Skarmory's nature should be Impish, and should hold either Leftovers or a Shed Shell.

When I said PokeBank only moves, there are some moves that are only available to Pokemon via move tutors, which exist in Black2/White2, but not X/Y (ok there's the ones for Draco Meteor, the starter hyper beams, and Relic Song/Secret Sword, but still). So you'd need the PokeBank for the Pokemon to know those moves.

But as it turns out, you can breed Thunder Punch and Ice Punch onto a Machamp in X/Y.

Skarmory can also be played with a specially defensive spread to better take advantage of its special resistances.

Bubonic

Amateur Poke Trainer
    Years
    @porcheesi:
    I actually like your recommendation very much because I think the Mega Evolutions are awesome and Medichams abilities/stats seem great. I do love Machamp very much though, but having another psychic in the mix would be cool. Thanks for your time!
    Get rid of Machamp for Medicham.

@Draven1234:
    Do you think the team would still function alright with Houndoom? I personally think hes a bad ass Pokemon. I've actually never seen/heard of Volcarona until you mentioned it. Very interesting Pokemon and I'll put some thought into it.
    Well, if you had to use Mega Medicham (Which I would highly recommend), perhaps you could switch out Houndoom for Volcarona.

@No Chance Without Zekrom:
    Impish with leftovers sounds good to me, thanks.

@PlatinumDude:
    I am planning on using him defensively. I could probably use a different and/or better defensive pokemon but Skarmory is cool. I keep saying 'cool' so forgive me but there has to be an element of fun involved. Got a moveset for Skar that you'd recommend that compliments my party?
    Skarmory can also be played with a specially defensive spread to better take advantage of its special resistances.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2014
    @Bubonic
    I also believe that Mega Houndoom is a very effective and awesome looking pokemon. The Problem is that if you are playing 6 vs 6 battles, having two mega stone in your party isn't the most effective way to use your item slots, as you can only Mega Evolve once per battle. Therefore if you want the best team possible for 6 vs 6, choosing between Machoke and Mega Medicham is a must. Then if you choose Mega Medicham, I would recommend Volcarona, because like PlatinumDude said, regular Houndoom doesn't cut it in OU tiers. However, in 3 vs 3 battles, or typical "casual" battles online, 2 mega stones would be ok, just don't use the two Megas together too much. Also, your Greninja and Houndoom are both Super-Effective to Fighting (Unless Greninja has the Protean ability, which is HIGHLY recommended), making the Volcarona & Mega Medicham combo potentially much better.

Bubonic

Amateur Poke Trainer
    Years
    @Draven1234:
    Oh okay. That really cleared things up for me. So in the rated battles, I won't be able to use but one megastone for my whole line up? Also, do you think Volcarona is the best fire based replacement for Houndooms spot? Is there any other Pokemon you would recommend for that opening?

@Bubonic
    I also believe that Mega Houndoom is a very effective and awesome looking pokemon. The Problem is that if you are playing 6 vs 6 battles, having two mega stone in your party isn't the most effective way to use your item slots, as you can only Mega Evolve once per battle. Therefore if you want the best team possible for 6 vs 6, choosing between Machoke and Mega Medicham is a must. Then if you choose Mega Medicham, I would recommend Volcarona, because like PlatinumDude said, regular Houndoom doesn't cut it in OU tiers. However, in 3 vs 3 battles, or typical "casual" battles online, 2 mega stones would be ok, just don't use the two Megas together too much. Also, your Greninja and Houndoom are both Super-Effective to Fighting (Unless Greninja has the Protean ability, which is HIGHLY recommended), making the Volcarona & Mega Medicham combo potentially much better.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2014
    @Bubonic
    Honestly, there isn't many Fire types viable using outside of a sun team. Such as Charizard, who isn't effective without his megastone(s). But I'd say Volcarona is a good choice, as he fits a very similar niche to Mega Houndoom, that being a Special Sweeper with decent bulk. Also, you could use Talonflame, who is also an effective choice, but I would have to think of a good set for him, as my experience is limited. And really, you don't even need a fire type if you dont want. You could use a Poke like Aegislash, if some of your other Pokes have fire moves

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    @Bubonic
    Honestly, there isn't many Fire types viable using outside of a sun team. Such as Charizard, who isn't effective without his megastone(s). But I'd say Volcarona is a good choice, as he fits a very similar niche to Mega Houndoom, that being a Special Sweeper with decent bulk. Also, you could use Talonflame, who is also an effective choice, but I would have to think of a good set for him, as my experience is limited. And really, you don't even need a fire type if you dont want. You could use a Poke like Aegislash, if some of your other Pokes have fire moves

There's enough viable fire types that operate fine without Sun. It just depends on what you can get. There's Heatran, Infernape, Blaziken, Charizard's Mega forms, Volcarona, Talonflame, and Rotom-H.

Draven's Volcarona set is the way to go, but Hurricane is a bit iffy due to its accuracy outside of rain. Personally, I like Giga Drain on it, but that's a Black2/White2 move tutors move, so you can't get that until the PokeBank comes out...whenever that'll be.

As for Talonflame:

-Talonflame w/Life Orb
    Ability: Gale Wings
    EVs: 40 HP, 252 Attack, 212 Speed
    Moves: Flare Blitz, Brave Bird, U-Turn, Roost/Tailwind

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2014
    There's enough viable fire types that operate fine without Sun. It just depends on what you can get. There's Heatran, Infernape, Blaziken, Charizard's Mega forms, Volcarona, Talonflame, and Rotom-H.

Draven's Volcarona set is the way to go, but Hurricane is a bit iffy due to its accuracy outside of rain. Personally, I like Giga Drain on it, but that's a Black2/White2 move tutors move, so you can't get that until the PokeBank comes out...whenever that'll be.

As for Talonflame:

-Talonflame w/Life Orb
    Ability: Gale Wings
    EVs: 40 HP, 252 Attack, 212 Speed
    Moves: Flare Blitz, Brave Bird, U-Turn, Roost/Tailwind

Yeah, I realize there are some viable fire types, just not a lot, as Heatran and Infernape may be quite difficult to obtain, especially without PokeBank Worldwide. Also, I do agree that Giga Drain is a really good coverage move to stop Water types, Ground,etc but it will be once again, be quite difficult to obtain. Also Bubonic, scratch what I said about using Aegislash, as it isn't good having two steel types, with Fire being a very popular coverage move.

Bubonic

Amateur Poke Trainer
    Years
    @No Chance Without Zekrom & Draven1234:

I'm interested in Blaziken, Volcarona, and Heat Rotom. Which of the three should I go with guys? Oh by the way, I chose Froakie as my starter Pokemon so that means I can catch Moltres! If I save my game before fighting moltres, can't I catch him and check his IV's and nature over and over until I get a good one?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2014
    @No Chance Without Zekrom & Draven1234:

I'm interested in Blaziken, Volcarona, and Heat Rotom. Which of the three should I go with guys? Oh by the way, I chose Froakie as my starter Pokemon so that means I can catch Moltres! If I save my game before fighting moltres, can't I catch him and check his IV's and nature over and over until I get a good one?

Honestly, I'd say any of the three you mentioned above are good options, as they all can play effectively in an OU tier. However, Moltres isn't a good option, as he loses half his health to Stealth Rock and his Speed is average at best for the role he would provide. Therefore, If you had to use a fire-flying type, Talonflame is the better option, featuring great speed to benefit his good attack stat, making him a better Sweeper (despite being a physical one compared to a special) overall.

Back