• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Requirements to Be a Gym Leader

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
  • In the anime at least, a lot of the younger characters seem to inherit the Gyms from their older relatives (off the top of my head I can remember Skyla, and I think Flannery), so I think maybe it stays in the family if the younger people show potential in battling, maybe.

Also iirc Sabrina was given her gym because of her psychic powers, so I think it might be just random factors that allows someone to become a registered Gym Leader, not just a set list of rules.

Also, it's been hinted at in the anime that there are more than just 8 gyms per region, so maybe they're more lenient on Gym Leaders because they can have a bunch of them.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I kind of have my own headcanon when it comes to this issue. I like to assume that Gym Leaders have several Pokemon, or even several teams of Pokemon, with varying levels of strength. Their battle teams would be assembled based on the number of badges the challenger has. That way the Pokemon League challenge is one of gradually progressing difficulty, while still qualifying Gym Leaders as highly skilled trainers. If anything Gym Leaders would have to be even more skilled than your average trainer, since they'd be working consistently with countless Pokemon of all skill levels, instead of just one gradually improving team.
    I really like this theory, as it manages to reconcile the conflicting natures of the Gym Leader Challenge: Gym Leaders are ridiculously strong in comparison to other trainers, but there needs to be a level of progression inherent for people undertaking the challenge. I like this theory a lot. In addition, I've always felt that Gym Leaders take on a de facto leadership role in their town, so if someone like Bugsy or Brock was the 'leader' with crappy-levelled Pokemon, that would probably not be the most optimal outcome for Azalea Town or Pewter City! Indeed, to apply to be a Gym Leader, there'd probably be a lot of bureaucracy involved; more a case of paperwork and interview skills than actual battling - though a practical exam would probably have been the key factor in deciding whether someone would be a Gym Leader or not.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
    Years
  • I kind of have my own headcanon when it comes to this issue. I like to assume that Gym Leaders have several Pokemon, or even several teams of Pokemon, with varying levels of strength. Their battle teams would be assembled based on the number of badges the challenger has. That way the Pokemon League challenge is one of gradually progressing difficulty, while still qualifying Gym Leaders as highly skilled trainers. If anything Gym Leaders would have to be even more skilled than your average trainer, since they'd be working consistently with countless Pokemon of all skill levels, instead of just one gradually improving team.

Theories aside, though, like everyone's been saying I think the qualification has more to do with the "passion" for battling than having the strongest Pokemon. Being a Gym Leader isn't something just anyone can do, and it's not really something just anyone would want to do. They aren't your typical "skilled trainers"; their goal isn't to win or to be the best. Their job is to test less experienced trainers, serving as an obstacle and a measure of growth. I'd imagine it's a matter of devotion to such a duty, along with the skills and experience behind it.

Well said. You win this thread *throws cookie*

I'm sure Cheren will go into this in some way in BW2.
    Since as a first gym leader he will use awfully weak pokemon on purpose (:

Bethanie

Sound Soldier
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2012
    They have to have some kind of requirements. I remember in one of the Gold and Silver manga volumes, Falkner had to get approved or something. Although I wonder if Janine and Roark got their jobs because of family relations...

Years
  • We the reason why there are trainers in the game that are stronger then them is to keep the challenge of the game going. Of course if you watch the show the elite four completely crush anyone that usually challenges them, same with gym leaders.

Also would anyone know a good place where i can start reading the manga about the pokemon trainer red? There is just so many idk where to start. D:

my bad. i cut a word short. the first word "we" should be "well". sorry about that

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2012
    To become a Gym Leader you should have a themed squad and also possess at least five Pokemon matching your desired type or theme. Just also include the 20 KO's and 60 trainer points.

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2014
    To become a Gym Leader or E4 member you have to be a good battler and be dedicated to your position. Most trainers beat the Gym Leaders and continue travelling, they don't want to have to stay in their Gym pretty much all day(although they do get to leave it sometimes, as is shown often in DPPT). I'm sure that if a trainer wanted to become a Gym Leader, they'd have to join that Gym first and work their way up to becoming the Leader. While they serve as a Gym Trainer, maybe they get thought skills that are essential to being a Gym Leader(in case they ever become one)? To become an E4 member, you probably have to be a Gym Leader and wait until a position is open and then apply for it.

smurf

Veteran Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2015
    I think the honor go be a gym leader should be put to the test i 1st think that you should have to challange an beat the old gym leader before becoming one also i think you should have to be tested by a number of challangers an you should have test and it should not be if your dad an granddad was the gym leader you shouldent have the right to be one unless your good enough to be one

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • Taking from the games, I think that you first need to beat the Elite Four and become a champion. Then you become the Champion, and when the next guy comes and becomes the new champion, you are allowed to either 1) leave, like Red did, or 2) become a Gym Leader, as Blue did. So the ex-Champions are like filler League guys - if there's a need for a Gym, they can either respond to that or stay dormant. If there's a need for a Champion, you can also replace them (kinda like the mod->smod promotions here on PC that we've seen a couple days ago) and become a Champion again.

And for the "weak gym leader" problem they probably have a "level" too, so they most likely have eight teams for each eight levels, and they just happen to fight you with a weak one, because it's a weak level you're looking for.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I don't think Gym Leaders have to be particularly gifted or strong trainers. They'd get better by battling challengers every single day, so why bother finding strong trainers? I think one of the biggest traits a Gym Leader has to have is that some kind of teacher role, especially the earlier Gym Leaders for novice trainers. Their battling styles probably have to reflect something new and original, so that challengers can pick up on it and learn. They should be dedicated to helping new trainers as well as battling, but I'd consider that minor in comparison to teaching. Some Gym Leaders even give trainers badges because of something the trainers showed that the leader liked.

A themed team is probably necessary, since most Gym Leaders have a mono-type team, barring Blue. Not sure if that's entirely mandatory, though. Blue apparently didn't have to, but that may be attributed to the fact that he was a Champion.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020
    To become a Gym Leader, you probably need to pass trainer school and show some expertise in battling. To become an E4 member, on the other hand... well, I don't really know.

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
    Years
  • I think the Anime has hinted at how to become a gym leader and from that I think the requirements are a pretty easy guess. In the episode i think titled Showdown at Dark city, two unofficial gyms were being evaluated by the PIA to be licensed as a fully fledged Gym. So in my opinion at least according to the anime as long as you set up a gym and maintain a certain level of order and respect for the town and Pokemon. I personally think the Elite Four are picked from the gym leaders that are considered stronger than most of the others.

Back