• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Requirements to Be a Gym Leader

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Based on what we can tell from the various areas of Pokemon media, not everyone who's a gym leader is extraordinarily strong. This has an obvious purpose in the games, to give you a sense of progression. But when you think about it, it doesn't really make sense - these leaders are meant to test your abilities as a trainer, and yet they can be weaker than most of the people you meet after them, so why aren't all those trainers gym leaders instead?

The Elite Four is the same way - there are stronger trainers (outside of the Champion for obvious reasons). Yet they're not part of the Elite Four, and are instead just wanderers. Is it because they turned down the offer of the position? Or is becoming part of the League more than how strong you are?

Basically, what do you think are the requirements to become a gym leader or a member of the elite 4? Just ability to defeat opponents, or some other trait as well?

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
    To show more interest in POKeMON then battling, winning and losing. I think the theme of most POKeMON games is friendship between yourself and POKeMON.

And from what I can tell from the dialogue of most Gym Leaders and E4 NPCs; they treat POKeMON with care, love and respect. Most of the trainers on the Routes only battle you for the helluva it.

Does that make sense, because I'm confusing myself. Lol.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    To be a gym leader or E4 member, I think you must be really passionate, not to mention very skilled, at Pokemon battling. As Trainer Timothy pointed out, they must also care about the Pokemon that they use, as well as other Pokemon their opponents use.

Years
    I honostly thikn it's just a flaw. 'Cause think about it: over the course of years- no months of training against challengers, their Pokemon should become immensly stronger anyway. However, that's just how the game is structured.

T!M

Years
    I honostly thikn it's just a flaw. 'Cause think about it: over the course of years- no months of training against challengers, their Pokemon should become immensly stronger anyway. However, that's just how the game is structured.

Not to get off topic, but to answer Jobrjo, I wanted to say that it is seen that Brock, Misty, Surge, Erika, Sabrina and Blane gained quite a few levels when you return in RBY/HGSS

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    I kind of have my own headcanon when it comes to this issue. I like to assume that Gym Leaders have several Pokemon, or even several teams of Pokemon, with varying levels of strength. Their battle teams would be assembled based on the number of badges the challenger has. That way the Pokemon League challenge is one of gradually progressing difficulty, while still qualifying Gym Leaders as highly skilled trainers. If anything Gym Leaders would have to be even more skilled than your average trainer, since they'd be working consistently with countless Pokemon of all skill levels, instead of just one gradually improving team.

Theories aside, though, like everyone's been saying I think the qualification has more to do with the "passion" for battling than having the strongest Pokemon. Being a Gym Leader isn't something just anyone can do, and it's not really something just anyone would want to do. They aren't your typical "skilled trainers"; their goal isn't to win or to be the best. Their job is to test less experienced trainers, serving as an obstacle and a measure of growth. I'd imagine it's a matter of devotion to such a duty, along with the skills and experience behind it.

Years
    I think that to be a member of E4, you must've defeated all the leaders and the E4. Also, I think you have to be a very strong trainer, mentally and someone that is hard to defeat, with uniqueness in your strategy and style in battle. As being part of the E4, like all gym leaders and E4 members, you need to have a certain Pokemon type being the same with all your Pokemon, but most of them having different moves to make it harder for your opponent to figure out your strategy and it makes them struggle.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I kind of have my own headcanon when it comes to this issue. I like to assume that Gym Leaders have several Pokemon, or even several teams of Pokemon, with varying levels of strength. Their battle teams would be assembled based on the number of badges the challenger has. That way the Pokemon League challenge is one of gradually progressing difficulty, while still qualifying Gym Leaders as highly skilled trainers. If anything Gym Leaders would have to be even more skilled than your average trainer, since they'd be working consistently with countless Pokemon of all skill levels, instead of just one gradually improving team.

Theories aside, though, like everyone's been saying I think the qualification has more to do with the "passion" for battling than having the strongest Pokemon. Being a Gym Leader isn't something just anyone can do, and it's not really something just anyone would want to do. They aren't your typical "skilled trainers"; their goal isn't to win or to be the best. Their job is to test less experienced trainers, serving as an obstacle and a measure of growth. I'd imagine it's a matter of devotion to such a duty, along with the skills and experience behind it.
    Agreed.

You have to remember that these people run their own Gyms. This means teaching and supervising the other trainers in the Gym, as well as rearing several teams of Pokémon for their own use. A large part of their job is leading, and not just anyone can do that. It's a whole lot more work than just being a regular trainer.

As Piez said, the Gym Leaders also need to test the skills of challenging trainers, which means deciding which Pokémon to use against them and how. They need to know what makes a trainer worthy (at least to them), and how to test for that.

The Elite Four are the same, but a bit less so. I don't imagine they need to teach anyone else at the same time, but they always need to be available to face off against challengers, which means they sacrifice their ability to go on adventures and gain more experience. They still need to do everything a Gym Leader can do (test skills and all that), but it's more serious here because it's the Elite Four rather than some Gym. That's why Koga becoming an E4 member was considered a promotion.

I would say the Champion is no different to the other Elite Four members, and is just the final and strongest of them. They're not the Champion just because they beat the previous Champion (like the player can do); it's because there's much more to the role than just having powerful Pokémon, and they have those skills.

It's all about levels of responsibility, for self and others. In that sense, they're stronger than any trainer.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015

How does your theory incorporate Pokemon that gym leaders consider their signature Pokemon? Such as Lt. Surge's Raichu and Whitney's Miltank, where they imply that the Pokemon is so powerful because of its connection with its trainer. Do they just not use their signature Pokemon unless the opponent is powerful?

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023

How does your theory incorporate Pokemon that gym leaders consider their signature Pokemon? Such as Lt. Surge's Raichu and Whitney's Miltank, where they imply that the Pokemon is so powerful because of its connection with its trainer. Do they just not use their signature Pokemon unless the opponent is powerful?

I hadn't really considered that! But yeah, omitting their signature Pokemon if the challenger isn't up for it would make sense.

There's also the absence of levels to be considered. In a more realistic interpretation of the series, a Pokemon's power is measured in training and experience rather than numbers, and the skills and tactics of the trainer play a big role in how well they'll do in battle. So it wouldn't necessarily be quite so unfair for a young trainer to face, say, Lt. Surge's signature Raichu, especially if Raichu was being used with a team of less-experienced Pokemon. If the trainer uses clever strategies and has a strong enough bond with his own Pokemon he could very well stand a chance, whereas in a more game-based interpretation Raichu would easily sweep any Pokemon without the same level of training.

Guest123_x1

I believe the requirements for becoming a gym leader or Elite Four vary, but usually the trainer has to have a strong desire to be good at his/her 'job', have excellent battle strategies, and be approved by the league's governing body for the position. As for the Elite Four, the requirements are similar, but even more stringent.

dyenguard

Burst of Flame!
    Years
    There was a pokemon book that I read stating that nurse Joy had defeated the pokemon league/became a member. "she passed with flying colours". Im not sure if that was cannon or not, but this may prove the point that gym leaders had to defeat the E4 in order to obtain their status.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    This is part of my headcanon too - or at any rate the gym leader has the ability to control their Pokemon to battle to match the ability of the opponent, alternatively. But it does match with the games in a way; many of those games in which you can rebattle gym leaders show they have full teams of high-levelled Pokemon too. I don't personally feel that they would have needed to beat the E4 to get the position, but that's more how I see it, and I imagine it would vary from canon to canon too (e.g. such topics are sometimes touched upon in the anime, pretty sure).

igotpokeballz

x999 Thanks To Action Replay
    Years
    E4= Passionate but still need to push to the limit! All trainers shouldnt be 100% lovey dovey, but working hard while teaching a Pokemon and yourself how to be strong emotionally, mentally, and physically. :)

T!M

Years
    E4= Passionate but still need to push to the limit! All trainers shouldnt be 100% lovey dovey, but working hard while teaching a Pokemon and yourself how to be strong emotionally, mentally, and physically. :)

^This. I can agree because of (what appears to be) Bruno's training ethic. If what this gentlemen says is true, it would make sense when I saw Bruno say: "Keep fighting until you faint." During his last stand.

I thought, hell, that's a bit harsh, don't you love your MACHAMP? Then with this post, it makes a bit more sense.

Years
    • Seen Jun 18, 2012
    Every Gym Leader has to have hope in everything, to me... but they say encouraging things only like at the last bit of their Pokemon's HP. Weird, huh?

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    In DPPt I remember Volkner telling the player he'd challenge the Elite Four if he didn't get a good battle. Based on that I don't think beating them is part of the requirements to become a Gym Leader, though it may be part of the requirements for a Gym Leader to be promoted to an E4 member.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    In DPPt I remember Volkner telling the player he'd challenge the Elite Four if he didn't get a good battle. Based on that I don't think beating them is part of the requirements to become a Gym Leader, though it may be part of the requirements for a Gym Leader to be promoted to an E4 member.
    All Volkner meant by that is that he wants a challenge, and the E4 are known by everyone to be a challenge. It's got nothing to do with trying to be promoted.

Years
    There are probably rules and regulations set up by the respective Pokemon leagues that outline some aspects of how gyms are run, but that up to a point gyms get to run themselves and follow their own rules on who they pick for the leader position. I imagine it's like sports teams. They have a coach, but it's not like coaches are picked democratically. It goes to whoever they arbitrarily pick. Obviously they want someone good for the position, but it doesn't mean they'll pick the absolute best overall person for the job.

I would guess the E4 are picked by a panel of judges and that they would take a lot of factors into consideration.

igotpokeballz

x999 Thanks To Action Replay
    Years
    ^This. I can agree because of (what appears to be) Bruno's training ethic. If what this gentlemen says is true, it would make sense when I saw Bruno say: "Keep fighting until you faint." During his last stand.

I thought, hell, that's a bit harsh, don't you love your MACHAMP? Then with this post, it makes a bit more sense.

Thanks! I am a huge PKMN fan! :)

Back