• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Reviled anime you love to watch

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2018
    As a sort of a companion thread to the "Acclaimed anime that you dislike because reasons" thread, do you have a secret love for an anime utterly reviled by the rest of the world?

To start it off, I'm a massive fan of Gundam X. From what I can tell most of the dislike for it internationally is based on it getting canceled in Japan. It's an amazing show though, especially if you're into the different expressions of newtypism that have shown up across the Gundam series.

pkmin3033

Do we have a definition of "reviled" that we need to abide by for this? I don't think I've even watched any universally reviled anime before. I've watched plenty of fairly polarizing shows that I've enjoyed more than the average watcher - Sailor Moon Crystal and Daybreak Illusion spring to mind here - but I don't think I've ever watched anything universally despised.

Although in the Pretty Cure fandom, Suite is despised solely because it's not HeartCatch, but I adore it to pieces; it's my favourite series thus far and I can't see it being surpassed in the future. Because it is not HeartCatch is a large part of it, actually. This is one I'd call reviled in the fandom that I enjoy, so it counts.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Ohohohohohoh.

Alright, first off, Garzey's Wing. Granted, I love this OVA ironically, and this OVA is really, really bad, but it's fun and super kooky (what with all the Durabarols in Gabajuju and people who've definitely got sexy). It's universally reviled and I love the hell out of it.

Second, Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal. "Reviled" would be going a bit far with this one. It's not really universally hated so much as it's either prejudiced or disliked on the basis that it's not enough like the original Yu-Gi-Oh! (and similarly that it doesn't have the edginess of 5Ds), but it's very easy for me to say that, despite growing up with the original and GX, this is my favorite of the series. Seriously, I love the hell out of Zexal. It's the type of show that can probably start you off with a bad impression (or, if you watch the 4Kids-remnant dubbed dub, the whole thing'll leave a bad impression), but goddamn. It starts off okay and just gets better and better, with one of the more engaging final arcs I've seen in a good while. I've said a lot about this before, but really, I'll just say that this show gets a really bad rap for all the wrong reasons, and that's a damn shame.

And...huh. Guess that's all I can think of right now.

Years
  • To start it off, I'm a massive fan of Gundam X. From what I can tell most of the dislike for it internationally is based on it getting canceled in Japan. It's an amazing show though, especially if you're into the different expressions of newtypism that have shown up across the Gundam series.

Gundam X is basically a combination of what would happen if there were Newtypes in Gundam Wing, and that's awesome. I frequent a mecha forum almost completely based around Gundam, and I can't recall a single person who doesn't like X. The only criticism that really exists for it is as you said; it being cancelled made the awesomeness too short. That's more of a critique of Bandai and Sunrise more than the content of the series itself. Personally the only thing I found unlikable about the show is Garrod yelling "TIIIIFFFFFAAA" as loudly as he possibly can into my headphones. :P

Currently Gundam AGE is the "POS" Gundam Series from what I can tell, which took that title from Gundam SEED Destiny, which in turn took the title from Gundam ZZ.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • Vandread, Gokusen...

Togainu no Chi(Togainu no Quality)<3
    tumblr_inline_n2v6jpytGB1svy7ac.jpg

Oh lord, I'm so glad to see there's so more people here who love to watch horrible anime just because they're bad |D

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2024
    SAO.

Yea, I had to.

I feel exactly the same with SAO. I dunno why but after reading, watching and playing almost everything about it, I feel like wanting more, especially of the progressive arc.

Another Anime that I like and other really don't bother is "Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi"

but probably because it was one of my first romance Anime. I can't really explain what makes it so awesome for me, still I enjoy it till today.

Another one that is not quite popular is "the ambition of Oda Nobuna"

It was kinda refreshing to see Nobunaga as a girl and also how the story completly changes. Was quite entertaining and Im thinking about to start reading the Light Novel.

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2018
    Also have this crazy attachment to Hameln no Violin.
    This is a show where the budget was so low maybe only five minutes of each episode isn't a static matte. Oh, but it makes up for it! The finale consists of each character trumping the other with bonkers plot twists ;*)

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • I realized something yesterday at 4 AM in the morn. When I had finished studying most of what I could study for my exam today but wasn't exactly feeling sleepy. Insomnia, maybe. But yeah. I realized that...

...well, I liked Fairy Tail.

I've bashed the series in the past myself. I even went so far as to label it a poor man's One Piece (which was very stupid, in hindsight tbh, since they're nothing alike - leaving aside the slightly similar art style in the initial few chapters. They're night/day different now). I still think that most of the main characters are terrible and that Hiiro Mashima can't write proper shounen fights to save his life. And character depth is something that's missing from almost all the characters. Most of them are defined by a quirk and there's no "flesh" behind them.

But you know what? It didn't matter.

I had started watching the series during the days when I had only started watching anime - greenhorn times - and back when I actually thought that this series could become my next big favorite. And I used to enjoy all the character interactions, the art and whatnot. Somewhere along the way, I left the series and, before I knew it, I had more anime under my belt. You know, the so called "better ones". The ones where there was a strong emphasis on the story, characters and their development. And then I got back to Fairy Tail. Having watched other series and also having gone into the whole "animu reviewing obsessed" mode by then, I started judging the series too harshly. People's posts online bashing the series seemed very true and my opinion of the series, over time, started reflecting those opinions. Which led to the whole "ugh, Fairy Tail is ****. I watch it just for the hot girls not for anything else" phase.

But yesterday, as I was thinking, I realized this:
    1) I LOVED Erza and Juvia (both because their designs are VERY attractive AND because I liked them as characters due to their backstories/quirks)
    2) I LOVED most pairings. I gush with happiness whenever I see a Gruvia moment or a Jellal x Erza moment or Levy x Gajeel moment. Mostly Gruvia though. That's OTP. <3
    3) I LOVED the main antagonist's backstory. It was surprisingly detailed, dark and heartfelt. I felt for the guy.
    4) This is a point for the anime, specifically, but - I loved the music. OPs, EDs, and the OST were all brilliant.
    5) I loved the manga's art. Very attractive character designs. Both female and male. Mostly females though <333
    6) I used to enjoy this series once. During the times I just watched it to have fun and didn't care about "critically evaluating" series for the sake of "being critical of animu" because EL33TisT attitude. I just had fun with it - despite the shitty writing of certain villains, almost static characters and some abysmal arc resolution and story decisions.

So I figured, if I actually like these many things about the series, how can I say with conviction that I actually dislike the series in question? Can't, that's what. I still enjoy the series and have kept up with some 400+ chapters in the manga. That isn't a quantity of chapters I'd have stuck around with if I was only "in it for the boobs". No matter how brilliant the boobs are.

Not to say that the boobs in fairy tail aren't brilliant, they very well are. And the characters they're attached to are pretty decent beings too. But yeah, hope you get my point.

tl;dr - I like Fairy Tail but I was being a tsundere about it for the longest time without realizing it.

Vandread, Gokusen...

tumblr_inline_n2v6jpytGB1svy7ac.jpg

Oh lord, I'm so glad to see there's so more people here who love to watch horrible anime just because they're bad |D
    Why the **** do the dudes look fine while she's a distorted mess lmao?!
    And lmao, no you're definitely not the only one. I'm sure we all have some of those series haha.

SAO.

Yea, I had to.
    Yesh, you had to. Could've thrown in Mahouka too. The anime, I mean. :p It isn't as universally bashed as SAO on the interwebz but still labelled as a otaku-bait power-fantasy, ie, crap animu.

Not that I had a problem with it. It was entertaining for what it was (OP MC SUGOI DESU) and Madhouse's animation was great + OPs were nice. :3

Another one that is not quite popular is "the ambition of Oda Nobuna"

It was kinda refreshing to see Nobunaga as a girl and also how the story completly changes. Was quite entertaining and Im thinking about to start reading the Light Novel.
    Oda Nobuna no Yabou? It isn't exactly popular, sure, but I don't exactly see it being "reviled". Afterall, all the MAL top reviews are in the 8-10 range. And that's pretty damn positive, to say the least. Its average isn't all that bad either - it is at a 7.8. Which is not bad at all. :p Also, haven't seen people spew hatred or anything regarding the anime either.

I personally LOVED it. It had a pretty different take on the whole Oda Nobunaga history setting but that's what made it very entertaining. The characters were nice, art was great (the girls were SEXY holy ****) and the music was GODLY. Animation, courtesy Madhouse, was well done too. Consider it a solid 8.5 anime in my list. I also thought of reading the light novels but gave up on the thought since the anime ended on a pretty conclusive note and I'm not exactly a fan of light novels as a medium in the first place :p

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Why the **** do the dudes look fine while she's a distorted mess lmao?!
    The point is...
    It's not a girl xD

Yesh, you had to. Could've thrown in Mahouka too. The anime, I mean. :p It isn't as universally bashed as SAO on the interwebz but still labelled as a otaku-bait power-fantasy, ie, crap animu.
    Nah, people cannot say anything against Onii-sama :P

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • I'm one of the few people who hasn't quite been bothered by Owari No Seraph as soooo many people have. Like, I don't love it a huge ton and it's not amazing, but I do enjoy watching each episode every week.

Mekakucity Actors was a hit or miss to anyone watching, especially based from the original vocaloid song series the Kagerou Project it was a pretty big mess... but for some reason I did end up enjoying a lot of it? I purposely stayed away from looking at all of KagePro just to see what Mekakucity Actors would be like as an anime and I'm pretty glad I did.

I know a lot of Digimon fans really dislike Digimon Xros Wars especially The Young Hunters Who Leapt Through Time since. I've actually started to rewatch Xros Wars again since I'm doing a digimon reverse-marathon and since I wasn't able to finish the first part of Xros Wars or start Digimon Xros Wars: Aku no Death General to Nanatsu no Oukoku. Despite a lot of people disliking the first part and Hunters, I actually enjoyed what I watched. Of course it doesn't live up to my love of the first few seasons, but I do really enjoy all I've seen so far.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years

• The point is...
    It's not a girl xD

Nah, people cannot say anything against Onii-sama :P
    @First statement - what? O.o

And lmao had I thought Mahouka to be terrible, I would've said something about it. :p Tbh, it is not exactly a good anime in my opinion but at least it somehow managed to keep my attention till the end. It was one of Madhouse's poorer showings imo but it was still pretty nice in general as far as production values go so there's that too.

This anime didn't come to mind earlier when I made this post but - I love Cross Ange. It is full of fanservicey yuri & straight action, has shitloads of gore, shoves butts in your face or sometimes certain character's faces in our MC's crotch but I just cannot bring myself to hate it as a show. It is a chaotic mess that combines everything that's considered wrong with anime these days and ends up with something so nonsensical and so unique that I can't help but love it. And I loved Ange as a character - both because she was sexy as **** and because she was a pretty strong character imo. The story, well, it wasn't terrible by any accounts and had its fair number of twists and turns. And the fact that Ange was voiced by Nana Mizuki added a lot to it - she even sings in the show which is just great for a fan like me :D Even the other "princess" who sings has a beautiful voice - one to die for. <3;

I honestly don't care about anything anyone says - Cross Ange was bold, unique and beautiful. :')

User Anon 1848

I love Prison School despite how immature it is. Admittedly I only started watching for the fan-service but I found myself enjoying the characters and plot before too long as well.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • To start it off, I'm a massive fan of Gundam X.

Gundam X is great! I know it wasn't very successful, but Garrod is the perfect mix of many "good" characters in the Gundam meta-universe. Plus Tiffa best waifu.

Vandread, Gokusen...

Why did you make me remember this, nightmares will be back soon. The good part is you didn't mentioned DRAMAtical Murder.... Oh damn now I did.

1) I LOVED Erza and Juvia (both because their designs are VERY attractive AND because I liked them as characters due to their backstories/quirks)

Erza > Juvia. Also, by "VERY attractive" I hope you mean hot as f*ck. Plus Erza's Seiyuu is basically God-Tier.

Also, I knew you were tsundere!

Mekakucity Actors was a hit or miss to anyone watching, especially based from the original vocaloid song series the Kagerou Project it was a pretty big mess... but for some reason I did end up enjoying a lot of it? I purposely stayed away from looking at all of KagePro just to see what Mekakucity Actors would be like as an anime and I'm pretty glad I did.

Hey zappy-chan, not sure if you have tried the Light Novels (which have been licensed by Yen Press in the US... but you're quite far away from there lol) but I have read volume 1 and 2 and loved them. It's basically the same story we see in the anime, but there are small details that make it worth it. Give it a try :3

@First statement - what? O.o

Welcome to the world of Nitro+Chiral.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Koi Kaze. Even though this anime has a lot of good ratings out there, its still reviled for its subject matter, covering both incest and pedophilia, which often overshadows the whole anime in regards to its execution. I want to see why it had good ratings despite often being mentioned as really bleeped up by many people.

Blood C. I've mentioned it in other threads. Blood C, even according to reviews, is not a great piece of work compared to its predecessors but somehow, I grew to somewhat like the anime for what it tries to deliver. In fact, I don't say that its completely bad. If I had to write a review on Blood C, i would talk about how it could have been better than just simply telling how awfully flawed this is. I may have to watch the whole series again just to take note of what could have been done to make it better.

Saragraph

Everything for the OST.
    Years
  • I don't know if you can call these "reviled", but they come close I think.

- SAO. Sword Art Online is a bad anime, even I can see that. It has a huge amount of haters, but for some reason I really enjoyed watching it. Yes, it's bad. But I don't think it deserved the hate it got. Most people just hated on it so much because it's fun to pick a side in a heated debate like the SAO one. And because it's such a heated debate, people tend to exaggerate a lot and hate/fanboy/fangirl a lot more than they normally would.

- It's been mentioned before, so I think I can list this one: Fairy Tail. I don't remember how many episode were out when it got recommended to me, but it was a higher number than anything I had ever watched up until then. Somewhere between 50 and 100, that's for certain. Anyway, I caught up with it in only a months time, and I loved the crap out of it! I stopped watching it some episodes after it resumed airing after the hiatus, because I grew tired of it I guess? The fights weren't as fun to watch as they were earlier, some of the characters stopped being fun, and the villains just were boring as were the arcs. Juvia is best Fairy Tail btw.

- Fate/stay night, the 2006 deen adaptation. Dear Lord, can I even say I like this one without getting immediately killed by other Fate fans? The animation may not have been the best ever, but it was 2006. What did you expect? Shirou is a big idiot (and that is an understatement), but I got told that was because he is supposed to represent three stages in each of the three routes. He may be Shirou, but he is our Shirou. And this is still a Fate anime, which means that it does have an interesting plot. I remember being blown away by it when I watched it two years ago after marathoning it. The Fate/stay night anime should be judged as one series, storywise I mean. FSN is originally a visual novel with multiple routes, and the story is meant to enjoy it as VN with multiple routes. What I mean with this is that all three routes weren't supposed to be enjoyed separately. They each show a different side to the story, they compliment each other. Getting different pieces of information from each route and then putting the puzzle together is what makes FSN fun. Another reason: Saber. Saber is and will always be best girl. Wow, this turned into a FSN rant. Never intended it to be.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • - Fate/stay night, the 2006 deen adaptation. Dear Lord, can I even say I like this one without getting immediately killed by other Fate fans? The animation may not have been the best ever, but it was 2006. What did you expect? Shirou is a big idiot (and that is an understatement), but I got told that was because he is supposed to represent three stages in each of the three routes. He may be Shirou, but he is our Shirou. And this is still a Fate anime, which means that it does have an interesting plot. I remember being blown away by it when I watched it two years ago after marathoning it. The Fate/stay night anime should be judged as one series, storywise I mean. FSN is originally a visual novel with multiple routes, and the story is meant to enjoy it as VN with multiple routes. What I mean with this is that all three routes weren't supposed to be enjoyed separately. They each show a different side to the story, they compliment each other. Getting different pieces of information from each route and then putting the puzzle together is what makes FSN fun. Another reason: Saber. Saber is and will always be best girl. Wow, this turned into a FSN rant. Never intended it to be.
    B-B-But DEEN!
    Frankly, if it wasn't by DEEN people wouldn't bash it that much imo =D

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • - Fate/stay night, the 2006 deen adaptation. Dear Lord, can I even say I like this one without getting immediately killed by other Fate fans?

Actually I kinda hated it/liked it. As Satoshi pointed out it's because it was made by Deen. What people seem to forget is the fact that staff from TYPE MOON actually authorized and worked on this series. Part of the storyboard was co-written by Takashi Takeuchi (co-founder/illustrator of TYPEMOON) so people can say whatever they want about the series, but it was a 'serious' thing they worked on back in 2006.

Back