• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Revised type chart

Ageha1304

Ageha
Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2022
    I have always thoughts that Pokemon type chart sometimes is not fair toward some types and quite honestly some match-ups don't even make logical sense. So I tried to create a chart that would more or less make sense and would not alienate any types (like Grass and Ice).

SD8JJHx.png

1. Made Ghost deal 1x damage to Normal. I get why normal people and pokemon can't touch ghosts, but ghosts not being able to touch normal stuff does not make sense.

I would like some sort of resistance for Normal type as it needs some kind of boost, but not sure what type it should resist. Maybe Fairy? Not sure about this one.

2. Made Ice do 1x damage to Water. Honestly, I think when Ice meets Water, Water would just freeze, but since there is already move Freeze-Dry I decided to leave it at neutral effectiveness.

3. Made Ice resist Water. Ice type just needed a boost and I believe that there is not much Water can do against Ice.

4. Made Ice resist Flying. Another boost for Ice types and also I believe that there is not much wind or birds can do against Ice.

5. Made Fairy resist Dragon. No effectiveness seems like overkill to me.

6. Made Ghost do 1x damage against itself. Why would Ghost do more damage against other ghosts. Once again this makes no sense.

7. Made Flying do 1x damage to Grass. Grass is too weak as it is and I do not see how birds would have some extra advantage against plants.

8. Made Ground do 1x damage to Rocks. Once again I do not understand how would Ground affect Rock in a special way. I do not see rock being deteriorated by ground like it is deteriorated by water.

9. Made Poison do 2x damage to Water. Poison type seemed to need a little boost and Water type needed to be nerfed a little bit. It seems to make sense that poison would spread faster and do more damage in liquids similar to how some people would poison the water source and essentially kill an entire town.

10. Made Ghost do 2x damage against Electric. Electric type only had one weakness and Ghost type was super effective only against Psychic so this would solve two issues at once. Besides it is common belief that ghosts and paranormal make electronic devices malfunction.

11. Made Psychic 1x damage to Steel. Why would Steel be more resilient to Psychic attacks? This resistance has confused me throughout the years and in my opinion should have disappeared when they made Steel not resist Dark types.

12. Made Dragon do 2x damage against Fighting. Dragons always seem to defeat knights and eat them for breakfast so this would probably be a good way to boost Dragon type. But maybe this is overkill? What do you think?

13. Made Bug do 1x damage against Fighting. I do not see how being fighter makes you more resilient to bugs.

What do you think about these changes? What would you personally change? Would you ever play a Pokemon game with this type of resistance/effectiveness chart?

StaticShock

Chaos Current
    Years
  • Wouldn't it make Water to be more super-effective towards Ice? Since heat always travels from a hotter region towards a cooler region until equilibrium is reached, the higher heat energy from water would be transferred towards ice and eventually melt it into liquid water as well. And Ground should remain super-effective against Rocks imo. Maybe not as efficient in degrading rocks like water, but let's say, an earthquake could potentially cause a lot of damage to the landscape (tbh though, Ground and Rock shouldn't really be different types lol). As for Psychic vs Steel, I think it makes sense since it would be harder for psychic users to lift heavier metallic objects than non-metallic ones and Steel is usually heavier than most other things found commonly in nature.

Otherwise I pretty much agree.

Years
  • These seem fun, although one I strongly disagree with is the grass x flying change because many small birds primarily eat seeds and stuff so it makes sense for flying to be strong against grass. I also feel dragon and fighting could be super-effective against eachother I always saw them as rivals in media (Knights/Hero v.s Dragons). Steel resisting psychic is weird to me too, and I would even go further to say it could be weak to it since spoon benders and stuff are the go-to psychic thing for a lot of stuff (Twisted spoon and alakazams spoons are already in the game?). Love all kinds of type ideas though it would be cool to see them implemented in a short rom hack or something.

From a balancing perspective this is well done

Ageha1304

Ageha
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2022
    Wouldn't it make Water to be more super-effective towards Ice? Since heat always travels from a hotter region towards a cooler region until equilibrium is reached, the higher heat energy from water would be transferred towards ice and eventually melt it into liquid water as well. And Ground should remain super-effective against Rocks imo. Maybe not as efficient in degrading rocks like water, but let's say, an earthquake could potentially cause a lot of damage to the landscape (tbh though, Ground and Rock shouldn't really be different types lol). As for Psychic vs Steel, I think it makes sense since it would be harder for psychic users to lift heavier metallic objects than non-metallic ones and Steel is usually heavier than most other things found commonly in nature.

Well, for Ice and Water matchup I guess, it would depend on temperatures of either one. If Ice is cold enough water will freeze, but if water warm enough ice will melt. Perhaps leaving these types in a neutral standing towards each other is the best choice.
    I've never thought of Ground changing the landscape though. A very interesting though. But I do agree that they both should be combined into Earth type or something along those lines! :D
    As for Psychic and Steel types... Psychic powers vary quite a lot from media to media, but since I've never noticed any particular advantage steel would have over psychics I decided to keep it neutral.

These seem fun, although one I strongly disagree with is the grass x flying change because many small birds primarily eat seeds and stuff so it makes sense for flying to be strong against grass. I also feel dragon and fighting could be super-effective against eachother I always saw them as rivals in media (Knights/Hero v.s Dragons). Steel resisting psychic is weird to me too, and I would even go further to say it could be weak to it since spoon benders and stuff are the go-to psychic thing for a lot of stuff (Twisted spoon and alakazams spoons are already in the game?). Love all kinds of type ideas though it would be cool to see them implemented in a short rom hack or something.

I still disagree with flying being strong against grass. Yes, there are birds who eat seeds, but I've never seen birds to any devastating damage towards plants like for example bugs or fire would do. In my opinion birds eating a few seeds does warrant a type advantage. Also grass type needs a little boost :D

I do agree with dragon and fighting being super effective against each other. They can be like eternal enemies. :)

StaticShock

Chaos Current
    Years
  • Well, for Ice and Water matchup I guess, it would depend on temperatures of either one. If Ice is cold enough water will freeze, but if water warm enough ice will melt. Perhaps leaving these types in a neutral standing towards each other is the best choice.
    I've never thought of Ground changing the landscape though. A very interesting though. But I do agree that they both should be combined into Earth type or something along those lines! :D
    As for Psychic and Steel types... Psychic powers vary quite a lot from media to media, but since I've never noticed any particular advantage steel would have over psychics I decided to keep it neutral.

I still disagree with flying being strong against grass. Yes, there are birds who eat seeds, but I've never seen birds to any devastating damage towards plants like for example bugs or fire would do. In my opinion birds eating a few seeds does warrant a type advantage. Also grass type needs a little boost :D

I do agree with dragon and fighting being super effective against each other. They can be like eternal enemies. :)

Well, if we're gonna be realistic here, then liquid water always has a higher temperature than solid water i.e ice :P.

I suppose you're right on the Psychic vs Steel part.

Also, this reminds me, why is Ice supereffective against Dragon again? I do get you still kept it that way probably to give the already weak and underutilized Ice type an advantage against a type with usually very strong Pokémon though.

Ageha1304

Ageha
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2022
    Well, if we're gonna be realistic here, then liquid water always has a higher temperature than solid water i.e ice :P.

I suppose you're right on the Psychic vs Steel part.

Also, this reminds me, why is Ice supereffective against Dragon again? I do get you still kept it that way probably to give the already weak and underutilized Ice type an advantage against a type with usually very strong Pokémon though.

Not quite what I meant wit ice types, but alright :D

I believe that dragon is weak to ice because dragons are reptiles so they probably do not appreciate cold weather.

Back