• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[PKMN OPEN] Rise to the Top

Years
I have a few questions before I start on my form, is it one character per person, would making a professor character be ok, and would Delta Pokémon be ok? I'm fine with making one character, and I understand if you don't want Delta Pokémon

Hey - thanks for asking! While you would only have one main character, you could definitely have your own supporting cast like a professor, etc. E.g. the submission for Lana has one of her mother's as a Gym Leader. Just be aware that if you do make a Professor, it wouldn't be the head professor of the region - that would be whoever it is in the game canon.

By Delta Pokémon, do you mean like in the TCG? Or do you just mean regional variants like Alolan/Galar forms? I don't think I'd allow the former, sorry, but feel free to have as many Alolan/Galarian forms as you wish!

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
Okay this got my attention but my RPing skillz are severely rusty, so I'd have to see how I feel about it the more I ask and also I need to figure out what character to send.

In the meantime I'd like to ask a few questions.

1.- How significant to the RP are the origin regions and history of our characters? I'm an AU-history kind of creator and I'd like to have my characters have a background where they are not from the canon regions so far but from some other region that, just like Unova or Kalos, functions as a stand-in for a Real World place. Say, "Poké!Russia".

(hey, G1 did mention a Silph office in Russia so who knows! maybe in Gen 12 or smth...)

(I read that this mostly inflicts on what features from other regions such as Megas and alternate forms you are able to choose, but I'd also like to know how could it impart changes plot-wise in what you have planned)

2.- You mention the battle engine to be with four moves but we can change them between matches. Does one have to publish or get approval of the changes before each match, or can they be served on a surprise basis during the match until completing the up-to required four?

3.- How mandatory will the Discord be for coordination compared to having this thread? Will there be large-scale (eg.: plot-changing) announcements, decisions or arrangements that would be made only over Discord and not checked in here?

4.- How character-y are we expected to play not our Trainers but our Pokémon? Could they have, if so desired, their own language and ideas (not directly understandable to humans, both for coordinance with the anime and for likely comedic effect), or are they closer to the games' battle automatons?

Years
Okay this got my attention but my RPing skillz are severely rusty, so I'd have to see how I feel about it the more I ask and also I need to figure out what character to send.

In the meantime I'd like to ask a few questions.

1.- How significant to the RP are the origin regions and history of our characters? I'm an AU-history kind of creator and I'd like to have my characters have a background where they are not from the canon regions so far but from some other region that, just like Unova or Kalos, functions as a stand-in for a Real World place. Say, "Poké!Russia".

(hey, G1 did mention a Silph office in Russia so who knows! maybe in Gen 12 or smth...)

(I read that this mostly inflicts on what features from other regions such as Megas and alternate forms you are able to choose, but I'd also like to know how could it impart changes plot-wise in what you have planned)

2.- You mention the battle engine to be with four moves but we can change them between matches. Does one have to publish or get approval of the changes before each match, or can they be served on a surprise basis during the match until completing the up-to required four?

3.- How mandatory will the Discord be for coordination compared to having this thread? Will there be large-scale (eg.: plot-changing) announcements, decisions or arrangements that would be made only over Discord and not checked in here?

4.- How character-y are we expected to play not our Trainers but our Pokémon? Could they have, if so desired, their own language and ideas (not directly understandable to humans, both for coordinance with the anime and for likely comedic effect), or are they closer to the games' battle automatons?

Hmm, I hadn't considered some of these things before you asked, but here's what I think:

1) My main motivation behind sticking to canon regions was simply to facilitate interactions between roleplayers in Part 1. That said, you could definitely be from your own region and then do your participating battles in a canon region. You could even do them in your custom region, but it might involve more writing than you anticipate, as you're effectively worldbuilding in addition to roleplaying. This would definitely be something to run by me though - just pitch your character I guess?

2) Changing your Pokémon's moves is essentially within RP'ing preparation - it can be glossed over or gone into detail. I don't think there's any need for me to approve roleplayer's movesets on their Pokémon, I trust you guys. Perhaps in RPer vs RPer circumstances I'll take a look at teams and moves.

I guess the only other thing I would mention is that I haven't clarified is with Egg Moves. Your Pokémon can only have a maximum of one each, and although you can swap a mon's moves, you wouldn't be able to get a new Egg Move.

3) If you're coordinating with another roleplayer, I would strongly recommend doing so over Discord. Large-scale announcements will also always be mentioned in the Discord before the actual thread and give RPers a chance to provide their input in the direction of the RP and plan ahead.

4) In between the anime and the games, they can have their own personalities but you wouldn't need to write dialogue for them besides them crying out their name. Body language is also a method of communication, after all.

I hope that's helpful, if you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Caecae97

Son of Mewtwo
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
Name: Caelan Blake

Region: Almia

Appearance:
Spoiler:

Personality: Caelan puts his principles on his pride as a trainer, as well as honor. He enjoys nature, and hates Pokémon poachers and hunters, which is partially because of when he was a Ranger. Caelan doesn't talk much, but he knows when to talk, but prefers to keep quiet. As a trainer, he values a mixture of strength, strategy, and care. He doesn't get along with people who think battles are all about brute force.

History: As a teenager, Caelan went to the Ranger School in Almia. He was the top student in his class, and graduated a year early. He stayed in Almia and his family, mother, father, and little sister moved to Almia. He became a trainer when he retired from being a Ranger, but his retirement was forced because of an incident that cost him his left leg. He feels proud to have served the Ranger Union, but is still disappointed that he was forced into an early retirement. When he retired as a Ranger, he decided to become a trainer while still holding onto his principles as a Ranger, and went to Unova to enter the tournament

Pokémon:
Scar the Umbreon: Caelan's original partner Pokémon from his days as a Ranger, he named him Scar because of the telltale scar over his eye, which mirrors Caelan's scar as well.
SK-149 is Caelan's Magnezone, which he often uses for air travel. In order to prevent himself from falling off his Magnezone, he wears special shoes that have steel soles in order to attach to SK-149's magnetic body.
Gwen is Caelan's Salazzle, and she has a very unusual bond with Caelan, to the point where she gets jealous if girls try to flirt with her trainer.
Caelan's Gothitelle, Aria is always competing with Gwen for Caelan's affection, and considers herself the pretty one on Caelan's team.
Huntress is a Weavile who is very mischievous, often sneaking away from her trainer just to annoy him by forcing him to try to find her
Icebreaker is Caelan's main source of water travel, and has unusually long tusks, even for a full grown Walrein
Caelan's Camerupt Vulcan is very docile, but is an aggressive battler. He keeps Caelan warm during harsh winters, and has no problem being transportation for his trainer

Writing Sample:

Caelan was waking up in his room and started putting on his prosthetic leg onto what was left of his left leg. He sighed, "I wish they didn't force me into an early retirement all because of a lost limb. It's not like I'm a Marine, I was just a Pokémon Ranger." Before getting up from his bet and filling a small food dish with Pokémon food. Scar heard the sound of the food being put into the dish and woke up and ran over to start eating. Caelan scratched Scar behind the ear and said, "Eat up buddy, we'll need to be in top condition if we want to make it far in this tournament." Before getting his pajamas off and changing into his old Ranger Uniform. He looked at his old Fine Stylus, which while deactivated, he still wore to show his pride of being a former ranger. He walked into his kitchen and started making himself some breakfast, cooking some bacon and fried eggs, and pouring a glass of Tamato Berry Juice. While some people think he's crazy for drinking the stuff, he has a love of spicy food, and he always carried a bottle of Tamato Berry juice when he went out.​

Last edited:
Years
Sorry - Caelen is rejected. There's two reasons for this. First, the Pokémon section - your description of Scar the Umbreon makes it barely an Umbreon anymore and these sort of modifications don't really fit in with the vibe of the RP. Moreover, I had already stated you couldn't have non-canon regional variants, but your Camerupt is Ice/Ground. Secondly, the writing sample is a bit brief and it's hard to judge your character in action and writing style as a result.

As a general note to everyone, unless you have a different motive to head to Unova, you don't need to head to Unova for the tournament in part 1 (unless you want to) until you've qualified. You can do your qualifying matches in any region.

Caecae97

Son of Mewtwo
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
Sorry - Caelen is rejected. There's two reasons for this. First, the Pokémon section - your description of Scar the Umbreon makes it barely an Umbreon anymore and these sort of modifications don't really fit in with the vibe of the RP. Moreover, I had already stated you couldn't have non-canon regional variants, but your Camerupt is Ice/Ground. Secondly, the writing sample is a bit brief and it's hard to judge your character in action and writing style as a result.

As a general note to everyone, unless you have a different motive to head to Unova, you don't need to head to Unova for the tournament in part 1 (unless you want to) until you've qualified. You can do your qualifying matches in any region.

Changed Scar's design, just ignore the ridges in the picture, put in a normal Camerupt, and put more into his writing sample. I can write more for the writing sample if needed

Years
SU complete.

Alaka Malina
Male | 24 | Currently active in Sinnoh

Appearance: Alaka is a darker-skinned young man who stands reasonably tall at a height of just over six feet. However, his rather lanky build can give him the impression of being somewhat taller than he is, with a slightly stretched look. He has always been naturally thin, but years of constant exploration as a trainer have toned him up a little bit - although not as much as you might expect since he is constantly doing things like climbing mountains. Alaka's eyes are narrow, sleepy-looking and hazel in colour, not that you ever have an easy time seeing them. Alaka's hair is long, thick and unruly and his prominent bangs and fringe largely obscure his eyes from view. If it wasn't for his omnipresent dopey grin, you might think he was a bit of an edgelord.

Never one to be that big on fashion, Alaka likes to be comfortable above all else - but he does have a soft spot for winter garb and clothes in shades of blue, greens and greys. A common look for him is dark baggy cargo, an equally baggy and oversized shirt of some kind and his ancient-looking hiking boots. More often than not, over his attire he will be wearing his favourite old jumper with the faux fur collar.

Personality: Alaka is friendly, impulsive and, above all, insouciant. He has a very casual and nonchalant demeanour that never falters, even when it absolutely should. Ever met that person who is eerily chill in a situation that has anyone normal freaking out? Alaka is that person. Surprisingly enough though, this attitude belies a strong wanderlust and a tendency to do things on a whim, generally without thinking them through at all.

Alaka is kind to all he meets and isn't quick to notice animosity, so he's pretty easy to get along with. Saying he's polite or respectful wouldn't be entirely accurate though, Alaka lacks the common sense and understanding of social conventions to navigate interactions that call for a degree of class or decorum. He's the sort of person who calls their boss by their first name long before it's appropriate to. In all likelihood, he'd address a member of a royal family in the exact same manner he would a clerk at a pokemart. He never sets out to be disrespectful, he's just oblivious.

All this said, one might think that he's not the brightest. This impression is unequivocally, 100% correct. There is not an ounce of booksmarts in Alaka's being and his head is generally too far up in the clouds to display anything resembling street smarts. The trade off for this is that he is a naturally gifted improvisor and has, against all the odds, a knack for battle tactics. It's unfortunate that outside of the arena he's pretty much useless.

History: Alaka was born and raised in the region of Alola in an average, middle class family. He had a largely uneventful childhood, free of drama for the most part. Perhaps the most unusual part of growing up for Alaka was that he never participated in the Island Challenge. He certainly travelled around the islands, but the challenge didn't catch his fancy while it was running. Still, Alaka didn't just sit around while the other kids were out adventuring. He was always the curious sort, so he set about simply exploring every nook and cranny of the region with his trusty partner, Custard the Ditto. It was during this first journey that Alaka realised how much he wanted to see the rest of the world and, in particular, developed his love of snowy, mountainous landscapes like that of Mount Lanakila.

As soon as he was able, Alaka started visiting other regions. First, Unova as it was the closest. Then he travelled to Hoenn, Kanto, Johto and Sinnoh before moving on to Kalos and Galar. Since then he has cycled back through some of the various regions a few times, returning home every now and then but spending the most time in Sinnoh since he finds its mountains and colder climate the most appealing of the places he has been.

Through his travels, Alaka has completed in multiple leagues and even been in the odd contest, Pokeathalon or performance. Despite this, he's never actually completed a full circuit of any of these challenges. He only ever enters on a whim before moving on to something else interesting part way through. This has lead him to have the bizarre combination of a wealth of experience and a total lack of any accolades to show for it. His attempt to enter the World Cup is just his latest whim.

Pokemon:
132.png
Custard (Imposter) - Transform
038-a.png
Prince (Male, Snow Warning) - Aurora Veil, Ice Beam, Dazzling Gleam, Disable
028-a.png
Pan (Female, Slush Rush) - Icicle Crash, Swords Dance, Drill Run, Iron Head
460.png
Titan (Male, Snow Warning, Mega Capable) - Aurora Veil, Wood Hammer, Earthquake, Ice Punch
478.png
Fuji (Female, Snow Cloak) - Will-o-Wisp, Hex, Double Team, Blizzard
881.png
Zeus (Male, Slush Rush) - Bolt Beak, Icicle Crash, Surf, Pluck
875.png
Dave (Male, Ice Face) - Hail, Ice Punch, Liquidation, Zen Headbutt
351.png
Sunny (Female, Forecast) - Rain Dance, Weather Ball, Thunder, Hurricane

Sample: Catherine doesn't know how to people from Spear

Last edited:
Years

Lei Keahi

Region: Alolan, but currently in Blackthorn City

Appearance: Picture drawn by me - Lei has long, thick, black hair with a tanned complexion, accompanied by dark green eyes. She has an average, although slightly slim, build and stands about 165cm in height. Fashion-wise, she likes to wear linen shirts of various pastel colours and other summer-y things, usually paired with shorts. Around her neck, she can always be seen wearing a necklace with a Heart Scale for a pendant, reminding her of her home in Alola.

Personality: Lei is a calm and generally relaxed individual, adopting the 'go with the flow' lifestyle of many Alolans. However, when it comes to her passions, Lei is dedicated and motivated, devoting most of her time as a trainer preparing the team for the next battle. She dislikes people who disregard tradition and those who lack empathy, believing that battling is a form of cultural expression that can only really shine when trainer and Pokémon think and feel as one.

Lei values family greatly, often prioritising her filial duty at her own detriment. She surrounds herself with her Pokémon and, as a trainer, she treats them like family, albeit a bit of a disfunctional one. She has a predilection for Dragon-type Pokémon, seeing them as majestic but often misunderstood Pokémon. Although her team is a rambunctious bunch, she loves them with all her heart.

History: Lei grew up in Malie City, an only child of an Alolan couple who ran the malasada café in the city. Like many growing up in Alola, Lei partook in the Island Challenge when she was 11, travelling across Alola and participating in the trials scattered across the islands. As she journeyed, she discovered she wanted to become a Trial Captain - everything seemed bright for Lei, but life took a turn for the worse.

Just as she was about to finish the Island Challenge, her father broke his leg in an accident. Lei left the Island Challenge and rushed to return home to be with her family and take on some of the café's responsibilities. It was a tough few years, especially for the young Lei, but eventually her father got better. The restaurant grew and was constantly busy; having Lei's extra hands to help out kept them thriving, though she had never forgotten her journey and her desire to be a Trial Captain. However, as Lei turned 20, that dream vanished - she could no longer become one.

It seemed that Lei would spend the rest of her life running the café, but once again the whims of her parents redirected the path of her life again - they announced to her that they were selling the café and planning to retire. Lei was free to do whatever she wished. Lei remembered has passion from her youth and set out again. Even if she couldn't become a Trial Captain anymore, she could still be the best trainer in the world - well, try to be, anyway.

Pokémon:
730.png
877.png
103-a.png
663.png
691.png
303.png
634.png
Primarina [Sasha, M, Torrent] Her first Pokémon - a bit of a show-off and attention hog. Often overestimates his abilities and is the team leader. Can use the Z-Move Oceanic Operetta.
Morpeko [Pippi, F, Hunger Switch] Lei found her stealing food from the café - acts cute and cuddly but don't mess with her when she's hungry. You've been warned.
Exeggutor [Bongo, M, Frisk] Caught one on Exeggutor Island during her Island Challenge - a bit dim-witted but powerful. Provides excellent shade at the beach.
Talonflame [Palé, M, Flame Body] Headstrong and never backs down, even if he knows he's up against a stronger opponent. Likes roosting atop of Bongo.
Dragalge [Nahélé, F, Adaptability] Caught as a Skrelp during a fishing contest. Socially awkward and a little shy but incredibly strong.
Mawile [Nanahu, F, Intimidate] Shows her affection by biting things. Don't stick your hand in her mouth.
Zweilous [Zwei, M, Hustle] Hatched from an egg while Lei was travelling around Johto. While it was easy to raise Deino, ever since it evolved the two heads constantly bicker and fight with each other so much that they don't obey Lei in battle.

Writing Sample: Here's another post from an RP I used to run.

Figured I'd join since I enjoyed reading everyone else's posts so far - obviously approving my sign-up, ahah.

Last edited:

Venia Silente

Years
Okay I took some convincing but let's see if I can give this a try. Alas, I don't have artwork for most of my characters so fancy words and some purple prose will have to do.

Ravir Eisenhorth

WHO: Human (hey, you never know who's a Ditto!) male, 22 yr old.

REGION: While he originates from some convenient Poké!stand-in to Argentina, he's currently most active in Sinnoh.

APPEARANCE: Tall, about 1.76 m (about 5.8 ft I think?) with a rather lean constitution, even somewhat bony in the arms. Remember
Zack Fair
from FF7? basically the same body build. His face has wider lips though, beach sand-coloured eyes and dark blue hair. What he lacks in facial markings he has it in wrinkles and scars in his arms and wrists which mostly come from the effects of working with industrial machinery.

PERSONALITY: In general terms there are two things that guide Ravir: continuous work (note: not necessarily hard work, but continuous) and always committing up to the 90% - always reserving some strength and extra resources for later. He never truly lets go out of sight the idea that he can just up and leave and try a different thing. Being the eldest sibling he both leads by example and teases others who are following in his steps.

When it comes to Pokémon Training, Ravir believes that Pokémon should prove themselves by through their own power, but otherwise live comfortably and help themselves with the various advantages that human technology brings, like Potions and Pokécenters.

History: Ravir grew as the eldest child in a family of three siblings, the other two being Megrez and Thom. He went on his own Journey as a kid and already had a couple small tournaments on his belt when his little siblings went to pick their own Starters.

Over time, Ravir gained some recognition due to the way he specifically trained his Pokémon to withhold and counter attacks; because he often took jobs at industrial facilities, protecting the machinery - and thus employee lives - from accidental discharges or explosions resulting from Pokémon powers was of the utmost importance.

At some point after he was done with his first see the world kind of trip, he returned home, defeated one of the local Team Evils, and gained some recognition. Overall he did not like it much because of the common interruptions to his schedule, but otherwise took the advantages to regale his mons with stuff.

When the tournament was announced, Ravir was out of the country but still set up to try and land a spot. Still, he has to prove himself superior to other Trainers from his country, including his rival in Team Evil Busting, before he can duke it with the most recognized Trainers in the world.

Pokémon:

Electabuzz, maleElekid was once Ravir's starter and is now his lead Pokémon, he is the strong arms of the team. He is quick on his feet and knows how to operate some basic human machinery and navigate buildings. He's also capable of maintaining discharges for long periods of time if it comes to an Electric vs Electric clash or if he has to counter an AoE.
Ravir keeps him unevolved so he can retain the size and shape that allows him to interact with a human-driven world; Electabuzz for the most part doesn't mind.
Gyarados, maleA deceptively serene beast when on land, he's of the mood of punishing others swiftly so he can go back to enjoying the tides. Prefers tail smacks and bites than using eg.: Water Gun to displace opponents.
Kirlia, "Archo", maleAs the empath on deck, he's in charge of handling the team's interactions, training newcomers and translating anything the team needs for Ravir. Because of that effort he lacks somewhat in overall training, so to compensate Ravir has trained him to deflect and bounce attacks, and to use his abilities specifically to increase the sensation of pain his attacks produce.
Aggron, "Estagn", maleOriginally affiliated to one of Ravir's brothers, he's been "promoted upstairs" for the tournament. He's strong, ruthless, and has decent aim when it comes to both launching projectiles and to things like tail sweeps, but is nowhere as experienced in "real world" battling as the rest of the team is.
The closest thing to the team's DPS since he can punch hard and often (whereas Electabuzz only punches hard).
Pinsir, "Sitella", femaleOriginally affiliated to one of Ravir's brothers, she's been temporarily promoted to Ravir's team for the tournament. She is of the idea of sticking very close to opponents, pestering and doing whatever is needed to deprive them from valuable recovery time.
She has more bite than bark, but is limited by her typing and physiology, if only she were stronger she'd be the team's DPS.
Coalossl, femaleA Pokémon under the tutelage of Kirlia; she's calculating and prone to hold grudges or otherwise save her hits for later - except when it comes to combat. Doesn't usually like harm coming her way, but is more than glad to return it.
Manectric, "Cyanoger", maleAn older Pokémon accompanying Ravir as part of their last adventures together. Vastly experienced when it comes to using energy (Electric or otherwise) let loose in the environment, knows how to take hits and keep moving. Back in the wild tended to use the support of wild Joltik to retain his charge and attack enemies; for the Tournament he hopes to prove he can still manage on his own before retiring.
(Phase 2 Only)
Cradily, male(?)
A fossil regenerated by Ravir and trained since, fulfills mostly a defensive role making sure AoEs and wayward attacks don't reach anywhere near Ravir. While his offensive options still need training, he makes up for it with sturdiness and the alien, oblivious to squick behaviour that comes with being a Pokémon from more primeval times, for example he's prone to try clamping to his opponent's body or even try to swallow their head.
The team's tank, even more than Aggron.

WRITING SAMPLES:

* An old pastebin with an earlier iteration of Ravir in action
* Playing Giovanni for a tournament match against rmctagg09's character, random selection of posts 1 and following, 2, 3, 4, 5.
* Most recent combat writing on PokéCommunity

Daisuke Mitsuharu

Punching Bag
Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2023
If you like battling...

say no more.

Spoiler:

Venia Silente

Years
A question, since I don't think I saw it addressed anywhere, but I'd like to make sure.

We are allowed to change our mons' moves across battles. However, what are the available movelists that we can assign to our Pokémon? Moves from their official Gen8 movelists, or can we use legal moves from previous generations? (bound to the constraints of eg.: one unchangeable egg move, etc)

Years
say no more.

Spoiler:

Approved! I've already sent you the Discord invite but if you need me to resend it let me know.

A question, since I don't think I saw it addressed anywhere, but I'd like to make sure.

We are allowed to change our mons' moves across battles. However, what are the available movelists that we can assign to our Pokémon? Moves from their official Gen8 movelists, or can we use legal moves from previous generations? (bound to the constraints of eg.: one unchangeable egg move, etc)

Any moves that Pokemon can learn from Gen 6 onwards are allowed. Event-only moves are excluded.

Back