• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Rival Lies!

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
    Years
    In the Fr/Lg games (and even in R/B/Y), when you go to Nugget Bridge, your rival is there. After you beat him he gloats about him catching 40 types of Pokemon, BULL! I know i'm not good with counting, but i'm positive you can't find 40 Pokemon from Pallet to Cerulean (Even with evolving!) just like that. Did he just say that to gloat, or was that jerk telling the truth? If he did (most likely) gloat, why did he do it? I thought Rival only cared to be better than you in Pokemon fighting...

Actually, your rival talks about this during the S.S ANNE. Sorry for the confusion[/s]

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    He says that he found 40 different kinds on the fight on the S.S. Anne. I remember a few months ago someone actually counted how much Pokemon you can get from Pallet Town to Vermilion, and you can actually get 42 without trading.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
    Years
    He says that he found 40 different kinds on the fight on the S.S. Anne. I remember a few months ago someone actually counted how much Pokemon you can get from Pallet Town to Vermilion, and you can actually get 42 without trading.

Really? I should check that later...

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2010
    I remember in the anime, Gary had 200+ Pokémons but he had some of these like 3-4 times each. Maybe that's what he wanted to say in the game.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Actually, who's to say he hasn't traded yet? After all, later in the game his Kadabra evolves to Alakazam, so he must have traded for that to happen. So, perhaps he's also traded before boarding the S.S. Anne.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    Actually in the S.S Anne was the time he said that ...

And I counted , and together with EVOs you can even get 41 Pokemon by the SS Anne and make him feel so unimportant .... !

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
    Years
    Then, what would happen if you beat him in catching pokemon? I'd like to see the expression o his face...

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    When I was playing my LG version I too was having doubts about him catching 40 pokemon, then I checked and you can get over 40 without trading

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    Can't believe he had 40 Pokemon at that time. I didn't even have 20 when I challenged the Elite 4, but I guess that says more about me than him.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I think he's a loser that lied to try to impress you, especially if you're the female player. But in all seriousness, you can get about 41 or so without trading. But I do agree on that I don't understand why he wouldn't use them. Gary is really picky though, so he probably only picked the Pokemon he thought were the best. That doesn't explain Raticate very well, does it?

Also, the original RBY was made back when the motto was all "Gotta catch'em all!" so I think it could also be viewed as a marketing scheme. Just my opinion though.

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
    Years
    I think he had a chance of actually getting 40 pokemon, but I mostly think he was just bragging.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    I remember in the anime, Gary had 200+ Pokémons but he had some of these like 3-4 times each. Maybe that's what he wanted to say in the game.

Yeah but i didnt get that in the anime coz it was before he does the last gym .... but in those times there were 151 pokemon .... :S

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    Is the total amount possible caught by then counting in the current evolution of his starter?

Back