• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rom hacking as of now?

Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2013
    At this stage in my hacking career I am based almost entirely in the team discussions section, and I think there is more promise shown there than people think. Although there are plenty of people who go around boasting that they can use YAPE, A-Tack and the like, and think they are invaluable because of that, there are also lots of people who I see that realize how hard hacking is and how long it could take, but nonetheless have quickly aquired decent skillsets, to name just a few who I have been lucky enough to meet, M.L., Haxofreak, Creampuff and Lolwhet. While I am sure that the Rom Hacking community is not what it once was, it still shows a lot of promise at its roots.

Feel free to ignore this suggestion, but as a way of encouraging more people to the hacking scene, why not put together a short, but brilliant hack as a sort of demo of what can be acheived with a lot of hard work.

Acealo above me mentioned lots of very skilled hackers who have semi-retired from hacking, but could we not try to encourage them to come back to work on this hack? Think what an amazing game could be created if all of the best hackers at pokecommunity, one of the biggest Pokemon hacking communities in the world, worked together to produce it and how many new people could be inspired to make their own by it.

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    There is still a population of hackers for the third generation games. Progress has been slow lately and we have lost great hackers over the years. However, there are people who are beginning to step up and fill the voids left. I'm still optimistic on the 3rd gen hackers future here. Soon enough we will see a hack that will rekindle that passion that we once had and drive us through another golden age for 3rd gen rom hacking. I do appreciate those people who continue to do research on the 3rd gen roms and are attempting to put in new features that are available in the new generation games. Keep it up.

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
    Years
    Teejermiester Theory

See, the thing that every new hacker that comes by this place notices is that most of the hacks are of third gen. This is what I call the "Hack Evolution Theory", which was created from another conversation and careful observation. This theory is based on the progression of hackers. Now, the interested individuals were wanting to create a game that is as speshul as black and white, and they find this and then they're all disappointed. What they don't see or take the time to see is how much potential these games have while still being relatively simple (extremely simple with all these amazing tools around). The few people who actually get past that disappointed stage reach the Team Development stage, where they try to assemble a team to make that great hack idea they've always thought about (Now, don't freak out. Any experienced hacker knows this true and anyone who is currently in that stage will be yelling at me in their minds right now. Hey, if you're still doing that after, say, 4 months, then you can glitter-bomb me).
    Next they evolve into the stage where they are on a solo hacking mission to create that perfect hack. Now, this is where I am (late in it if I might add, I've been stuck kept here for about a year and a half). Some Most people never leave this stage. The lucky individuals who do go on to the "Deep Hack" stage. This is a quick introduction to hex, programming, and computer languages. Almost all people who get into this stage reach their final evolution, the "Elite". Now, these people can be but are not always elitist. Simply, they are the best of the best and strive to be the best they can be, some names to throw would be Coolboyman, Darthatron, and Hackdeoxys.
    Now, if you actually read this far, you get a cookie. And a hug. And lots of gratitude. This is where it gets complicated. The lower evolutions are easily either: A; encouraged, or B; discouraged by the upper evolutions. The ones who were influenced by option A will most likely succeed (To an extent, it is extremely difficult to pass the Solo mission level with this route). The ones that were influenced in the way of B are usually those who suck it up and try their hardest, and either fail immediately once their hack(s) fail(s) or slow(s) down or are those people who quickly climb the ranks and prove their worth to everyone. Unfortunately, as with all theories there are always the millions of exceptions, and the problems inside it. If you notice one (or more), please do tell.
    This relates because there are too few people who get a true A option. Although rarely ever intentional, most hackers are discouraged (whether largely or subliminal, sometimes even the victim does not notice) by their more superior group members. This creates a community of people who find themselves drowning in unfinished hacks and people trying to best one another. Now, like some smart guy said up there; good hacks are ones who try to be like, bad ones are ones that try to be superior. We are getting a lot of these "bad hacks" and need to change the attitude of the forums to fix that.
    Unfortunately, hacks need other ones to step on in order to succeed. Not every one can be the most fun one to play. So, the more new hackers we get, this theory states the better the hacks will get. You get all that guys?
    So, the answer to that question is yes, I do think this forum is in a recession. All it would take is a little change in attitude and this forum could be bustling.

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2013
    I Agree with most of the people on here... but personaly I like hacking but not a whole lot of people are as into it as they once were.. I wish we could get more people to hack....

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    There are currently many outstanding hacks, but there aren't fairly new ones though, and that's sad. :(

Back