• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: ROM Hacking Tools – Part 2: Adding tiles (A-Map)

Years
XB6ulLa.png
The second part of the series is up!
This article will help you to better understand the whole process of adding tiles.
Check it out here!

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
I think this is a pretty poor way to teach people how to insert tiles. If you're going to replace tiles that are normally in tileset0 you should teach them to insert them in tileset0 rather than tileset1. I know the process is the same but this is a pretty lazy way.

Years
I think this is a pretty poor way to teach people how to insert tiles. If you're going to replace tiles that are normally in tileset0 you should teach them to insert them in tileset0 rather than tileset1. I know the process is the same but this is a pretty lazy way.

I wrote at the end that the next part is going to be this. How to replace and add tiles in the main tileset. However, inserting tiles at tileset1 is useful too. I didn't say that you're going to make all the maps with this method.

Logan

Years
I wrote at the end that the next part is going to be this. How to replace and add tiles in the main tileset. However, inserting tiles at tileset1 is useful too. I didn't say that you're going to make all the maps with this method.
I don't understand why you wouldn't even start off by teaching tileset0, it makes much more sense. Just take a look at FireRed the tileset1 is used mainly for buildings and map-specific tiles.

Years
I don't understand why you wouldn't even start off by teaching tileset0, it makes much more sense. Just take a look at FireRed the tileset1 is used mainly for buildings and map-specific tiles.

I think it's much easier for a beginner to understand this.
You have more space at this tileset, and so you can add tiles without replacing others.
It's not exactly the same thing.

Logan

Years
I think it's much easier for a beginner to understand this.
You have more space at this tileset, and so you can add tiles without replacing others.
It's not exactly the same thing.
No, it inhibits your ability to create maps as you cannot use different tileset1's without messing up map connections. It's lazy to have a warp at every entrance/exit of a town/city just to avoid using tileset0. Not sure why this is a daily article to be honest, we have many better and more indepth tile inserting tutorials that could have been used.

Froosty

The_Learner
Years
What I would say as from my knowledge when I started rom hacking is basically tutorial should be about inserting tiles in basic then about how to replace the inbuild ones and then about the palette also.... by this method one can easily learn in a short time :)

Years
The article is updated with an introduction to palettes.
Stay tuned for the next part on how to change the main tileset!

Blah

Free supporter
Years
I feel like this kind of tutorial is better depicted in video format than article. It takes 10-15 seconds to visually understand the process of cropping the needed tiles out of a bigger tileset and pasting them into an exporting tool. Alternatively, GIFs instead of static images may also have helped.

But yes, tile inserting is not hard. I'd rather see niche hacking guides, if you guys continue to write tutorial guides, as these concepts are already covered well on PC's own tutorial section. Something that appeals to veteran hackers would be neat :D

Back