• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RPG Maker Announced For Nintendo DS

Years
    I think everyone already heard the news of this, if you haven't then here you go.

Enterbrain has just announced a Nintendo DS version in the long-running RPG Maker series, called RPG Tsukuru DS, due out January 28th 2010.
    RPG Tsukuru DS will allow players to make their very own Japanese-style RPG, defining everything from characters and world maps to monsters and equipment. The tools are all touch-screen compatible, making the creation process a lot faster than before, and players will be able to use Nintendo Wi-Fi connection, in order to exchange game data with other friends, although the exact details are still yet to be determined.
    In addition RPG Maker features an easy-to-use toolset and transforms instruction into worlds allowing players to produce exciting and enchanting games. They choose their characters, worlds, 1,500 items, landscapes, 150 music pieces, add a script, share creations with other users and more. Players have the ability to create the biggest and best RPG with an epic storyline.
    RPG Maker also called RPG Tsukuru DS in Japan is scheduled for release in Japan on January 28th 2010, a North American release date is yet to be announced.

Here is the link to famistu, you can view more screenshots there

Last edited:
    Years
    This sounds great, although the link that you provided is broken. I'll be interested to see what sort of projects arise from this, but I guess we'll have to wait/hope for an English release, which, knowing the nature of the game/software, won't happen.

O.G. Duke

a.k.a OmegaGroudon
    Years
    • Seen May 18, 2016
    I heard about that too. It looked really like VX, including graphics.
    I wonder will there an English version.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    The screenshot in the first post is from RPG Maker VX. For the actual screenshots, you need to go to the site.

Anyway, as a big fan of both the DS and RPG Maker, I'll definitely be getting this :)
    However, expect it to be lacking in features compared to the PC versions. I expect missing features will include custom resources (graphics and music) and scripting. So I'd rule out making a Pokémon game with this. It should still be fun to play around with, though.

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
    Years
    Well, I don't really like it, I don't see how it will be possible to distribute the game to people around the world like we can do with the pc version. I don't see wifi doing that, however that may be a possibilitie since there won't be anything custom, making the download file really small since everyone will only use the RTP.

Shun1

Started Project RGSShun
    Years
    Well, I don't really like it, I don't see how it will be possible to distribute the game to people around the world like we can do with the pc version. I don't see wifi doing that, however that may be a possibilitie since there won't be anything custom, making the download file really small since everyone will only use the RTP.
    I would also want toknow how you would distribute the game, I am making games to sell and I want to make a ds game. After seeing this I really want to get it. But it isn't helpful that they haven't said how they will make it so you can distribute the games you make. But still, CANT WAIT!

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    You won't be able to sell it... You'll need the actual RPG Maker DS game itself to play any game made with it. You don't really think they're going to provide a DS game assembly line when you purchase it, do you?

Shun1

Started Project RGSShun
    Years
    You won't be able to sell it... You'll need the actual RPG Maker DS game itself to play any game made with it. You don't really think they're going to provide a DS game assembly line when you purchase it, do you?
    Sorry, I just reallized it is a DS game, it can not be brought online and played on computer (Well It could if you were to play it as a rom) Just ignore what I said, But it would still be good to be able to sell the game.

|Maximus|

I'm back~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2010
    Well, I think that they probably won't make it in english. There have been other RPG Maker Programs/Games that haven't been released in English. I hope they do, but don't get your hopes up.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    Well we all remember how great the playstation versions of RPG MAKER were!
    Oh wait....

Still, it would be worth a mess around with.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Well we all remember how great the playstation versions of RPG MAKER were!
    Oh wait....

Still, it would be worth a mess around with.

Remember that the DS has a touch screen, which will be a lot more useful than an analog stick with buttons. I don't think the PS versions were developed by Enterbrain anyway, and since XP and VX got English releases, this one should, too.

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    Remember that the DS has a touch screen, which will be a lot more useful than an analog stick with buttons. I don't think the PS versions were developed by Enterbrain anyway, and since XP and VX got English releases, this one should, too.
    RPG TSUKURU the mobile series by enterbrain(gameboy color, gameboy advanced, and now DS) have ALWAYS been japanese, the PSONE RPG MAKER WAS made by enterbrain, and you could use a keyborad on the psone version but it still was bad.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Fair enough. But we still have a chance, seeing how successful XP and VX were... I believe XP was the first official English RPG Maker (outside of the PS ones); the other handheld ones came out before XP.

Darkhaven3

Jackass
    Years
    Welcome to 2 years ago, everyone. Hardly official, but infinitely more flexible and just generally speaking, a superior alternative.

Edit by Neo-Dragon:
    No linking to forums. It was a link to show the homebrew software: VGMDS. It's like Rm2k. Google it.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    The current version of VGMDS isn't for DS, but for PC (allowing you to create DS games). It's not complete; as far as I can tell, the ROM compile function isn't even ready yet.

RMDS would be good for creating games on the move; also, I can guarantee you that it will be finished before VGMDS. Flashcarts are illegal in some countries, anyway.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    Why would you want to make a game "on the move"? Get a laptop if you wish to do that lol.
    I love hearing that expression. I remember a survey, which was later reported on by Kotaku and others said that over 60% of handheld (which, at the time, I'm assuming refares to only NDS and PSP and not the likes of the iphone/android games) gamers have not once played a game for the system outside of the comfort of their own home lol.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    I have :(

If I'm going on a long train/bus/plane journey, it's much easier to slip my DS into my pocket than bring a laptop.

Also, my mother won't let me use the computer after 6PM, so it would still benefit me :P

Back