• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RPG Maker Announced For Nintendo DS

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    Oh, I'm not insulting anyone who plays games on the go. I bring my PSP into college lol.

But my point was really on game development on the move.

Take yourself, and other game development enthusiasts out of this next question- but who will honestly want to use this "game"(if you can call it that) on the move?
    It's going to be a veeeeeery low % of users that will want to bring this with them on the bus.
    The only time I can see users bringing this game with them would be on an over-seas plane flight.

See, it makes sense to post software that would use a cursor input to a touch screen device. But if their target audience is for gamers "on the move" someone should get fired for giving this project the go ahead [/kidding].
    In saying that, the survey mentioned above says players with a NDS mainly play it at home, and home would be the best place to use software to make a game, so I guess their fine :P.

Vampire://Krimm

→ clocks everywhere →
    Years
    While I give props to Enterbrain for the idea, as it's pretty clever, I can't imagine exactly how useful it'll be. I mean... Making maps would be sort of neat with the DS's Touch Screen, but EVENTING? I know a lot of us aren't just making NPC events, and if it were me I know eventing 8 or so pages on the DS might be a bit uncomfortable~ XD

And there's the matter of RGSS capabilities o.o" Unless the game could be edited on the PC AND the DS, then it would dramatically reduce the craftsmanship of the games produced :x

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    As I said earlier, don't expect there to be a scripting system; you'll be back to doing everything with events like in RM2k and RM2k3 :)

Darkhaven3

Jackass
    Years
    While I give props to Enterbrain for the idea, as it's pretty clever, I can't imagine exactly how useful it'll be. I mean... Making maps would be sort of neat with the DS's Touch Screen, but EVENTING? I know a lot of us aren't just making NPC events, and if it were me I know eventing 8 or so pages on the DS might be a bit uncomfortable~ XD

And there's the matter of RGSS capabilities o.o" Unless the game could be edited on the PC AND the DS, then it would dramatically reduce the craftsmanship of the games produced :x

And this is why programming your own DS RPG engine in C or another language (just saying C since it's my favorite) is even still a better alternative than VGMDS, which is infinitely superior to a locked-down RPG Maker DS.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    No. It's very likely that RMDS won't have support for custom scripts and graphics, making a Pokémon game impossible.

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
    I honestly think it would just be fun to mess around with it wherever you are.

Sure, I'm not going to be making and finishing serious games with it, but I actually have fun designing games, I don't care if I can only use the RTP or if I can't distribute it.

Wind Gale

Lost With the Wind
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen May 19, 2014
    Ravecat does have a great point. They may even add a scripting feature. I have a cord that will connect my DS to a usb slot. Maybe we will be able to add custom resources.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
    Years
    Finally. Though I'm not buying it, it would be nice to use some of the scripts if they are compatable with RPG Maker XP's version of RGSS.

Back