• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Safari Discussion (NOT a FC sharing thread)

Phangy

Master
Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2014
    I was just wondering everyone's opinions on this. I found it to be really cool at first, but now that i have 40+ safaris going, it's gotten to the point of having repeats and lots of people not coming online, so the third pokemon is blocked. I know i can remove people and what not, but it seems a bit unpolished and is leaving me missing the old safaris that i don't have to have tons of friends to get some cool pokemon. At the very least they could tell you what your own safari is.

Oh, and if you're looking for the FC sharing thread, it's located on the main X and Y page

Caiustheblack

Breeder for the sake of it.
    Years
  • First of all: there is no point of people being online after the first time.
    While you may think having your safari friend online grants an higher shiny encounter ratio, i can grant you that being online or offline, it is exactly the same: out of the 13 shinies i catched from the safaris, only 2 were catched while being online at all ( i got most while scouting safaris for specific natures/maxedivs for breeding.
    That said, ALL my shinies from safaris are really lacklusterin something: hindering natures and/or maxed ivs where they are not needed (such like granbull with high special attack...) are a must for me.
    Safari are however a much welcome improvement for the breeding process: back in Gen V, for example, the main way to obtain a pokemon with its HA was playing child-ish mini games in dream world....

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    It's a nice idea but could have been done better. Besides the point that the safaris all look alike (only a rectangle of grass, no trees, lakes (wild Lapras in the grass, wait what?), etc.) the distribution of Pokemon is really bad. Best example: some people have Dittos in their safaris and some have some uninteresting ones. You can easily guess who's more popular. Some rotation in wild Pokemon would've been nice.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2016
    For them to beat the Elite 4 and update the Safari, they have to both be online at least once. Although, that's not to bad if they play on occasion.

Phangy

Master
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2014
    First of all: there is no point of people being online after the first time.
    While you may think having your safari friend online grants an higher shiny encounter ratio, i can grant you that being online or offline, it is exactly the same: out of the 13 shinies i catched from the safaris, only 2 were catched while being online at all ( i got most while scouting safaris for specific natures/maxedivs for breeding.
    That said, ALL my shinies from safaris are really lacklusterin something: hindering natures and/or maxed ivs where they are not needed (such like granbull with high special attack...) are a must for me.
    Safari are however a much welcome improvement for the breeding process: back in Gen V, for example, the main way to obtain a pokemon with its HA was playing child-ish mini games in dream world....

never brought up shinnies, mainly cuz shinnies have zero to do with friend safaris. The sole reason it seems easier to find them is cuz of how few pokemon are there, kinda like chain fishing. But shinnies are a conversation best left to it's own thread.

but the problem still remains of the lack of 3rd slot. if people are going online and trading off FC for safaris, they've beaten the game already, that's the only way to get to the safari, it's the people who don't go online while playing. I had to get into the habit of turning it on whenever i open my 3ds cuz it shuts off when it goes to sleep.

Caiustheblack

Breeder for the sake of it.
    Years
  • never brought up shinnies, mainly cuz shinnies have zero to do with friend safaris. The sole reason it seems easier to find them is cuz of how few pokemon are there, kinda like chain fishing. But shinnies are a conversation best left to it's own thread.

but the problem still remains of the lack of 3rd slot. if people are going online and trading off FC for safaris, they've beaten the game already, that's the only way to get to the safari, it's the people who don't go online while playing. I had to get into the habit of turning it on whenever i open my 3ds cuz it shuts off when it goes to sleep.
    Alright, the best solution i have to this is adding people only when you have to trade with them , so you will have too see them online at least once in order to be able to trade :)

Phangy

Master
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2014
    Alright, the best solution i have to this is adding people only when you have to trade with them , so you will have too see them online at least once in order to be able to trade :)

that limits you to just a handful of people

arinceo

Eat, Sleep, Pokemon
    Years
  • Definitely agree with the limitations of being online at the same time, if you haven't unlocked the third slot you also can't catch any pokemon with their hidden abilities either.

That being said, so much better than the old safari zone being to use your own pokemon.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    That being said, so much better than the old safari zone being to use your own pokemon.

Agreed. I don't care if its just a big square of grass. I came to the Safari to catch Pokémon, not look at the scenery. It's easier/better to catch stuff in the Friend Safari than the old Safari Zones.

Like the others have said, it could use some more variety in the kinds of Pokémon you can catch. It's nice that you can get starters and Dittos and a few other interesting Pokémon (Fletchinders with Gale Wings, for example), but there's a lot of uninteresting Pokémon (really? Bidoofs in the Safari?) and a lot of repeats. I have 4 Fire type Friend Safaris. 3 of them have Magmar and Pyroar in them. Fortunately, one has Fletchinders in them, and another has Braxiens, but still..

Oh, and my Friend Safari info is in my sig.

Giovanni Boss

Team Rocket's Head
    Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2023
    I love my safari. Ground. Couldn't fit better with my name, considering it's actually Giovanni. xD

By the way, it has Wooper, Camerupt and the ugly rabbit... I wish it was a Gastrodon on the last slot, but hey, we can't be that picky, huh? xD

Phangy

Master
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2014
    careful with the sharing of personal info, this is not the thread for that, keep it up, it'll get locked. It's about the friend safari in general, not what you got.

I just encountered a glitch. I befriended someone from japan after trading with a passerby, go to his safari, find all 3 pokemon, but when i exit and go back to the menu where you pick your safari, it only shows the first 2 pokemon.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    First of all: there is no point of people being online after the first time.

Do you believe that synchronize fails with shinies? Have you tried this?

All of the shinies I've found while using synchronize (about 4 of them) had the wrong nature. I lucked out on a Timid Electrode and a Hasty Protean Frogadier. And in the Frogadiers case i was looking for a Timid shiny one with Gardevoir using Synchronize. It failed (but was more than good enough).

Has anyone had success while using Synchronize for shinies?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Do you believe that synchronize fails with shinies? Have you tried this?

All of the shinies I've found while using synchronize (about 4 of them) had the wrong nature. I lucked out on a Timid Electrode and a Hasty Protean Frogadier. And in the Frogadiers case i was looking for a Timid shiny one with Gardevoir using Synchronize. It failed (but was more than good enough).

Has anyone had success while using Synchronize for shinies?

yep, I got an Adamant Furfrou. Not what I would have chosen (my regular Furfrou is Jolly) but I was adamant hunting something else in the area.

The thing people forget is that Synchronize doesn't make it 100% the same nature, it only makes it 50% the same nature, meaning there's 50% chance that you WON'T get that nature, so catching 4 with the wrong nature is not that high, really. I've been hunting pokemon with various natures (I have 18 of the 20 natures on various Ralts) and Synchronize definitely works well, but there is still the 50% chance you won't get the nature you are looking for, even on normal pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2020
    just a quick question, is it easier to get shiny pokemon from a safari? if so, what would i need to do?

Phangy

Master
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2014
    just a quick question, is it easier to get shiny pokemon from a safari? if so, what would i need to do?

slightly, less pokemon means better chance to chain them, that's all, go to a shinny thread if you want to know more

Again people, this is NOT a shinny thread, take that talk somewhere please.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I actually like this feature, as it forces us to exchange friend codes (making better use of them) and interact with other players. d: It would have been nice if they offered us a more variety of Pokémon, though. Currently, there's about one-twenty Pokémon (don't know the exact amount; sorry) available at Friend Safari. If there was two-fifty, or maybe even three-hundred, then that would've been much, much better.

Phangy

Master
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2014
    I actually like this feature, as it forces us to exchange friend codes (making better use of them) and interact with other players. d: It would have been nice if they offered us a more variety of Pokémon, though. Currently, there's about one-twenty Pokémon (don't know the exact amount; sorry) available at Friend Safari. If there was two-fifty, or maybe even three-hundred, then that would've been much, much better.

there's about 200 pokemone in the safaris total and i do like the fc exchanging, meeting new people, but not everyone is that into the game or have internet all the time. The number of pokemon is good for me, but can't get all of if people aren't coming online or have given up playing.

arinceo

Eat, Sleep, Pokemon
    Years
  • Maybe instead of having the extra pokemon slots locked based on the other player being online/post elite four they could unlock based on the number of entries you have filled in your pokedex? Would be a good incentive provided the numbers aren't set too high. It would be cool if the probability of encountering rarer pokemon or ones with HA's increases as you fill your pokedex.

Back