• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Same pose?!?

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Seeing as the games are remakes to their original, having similar or exact sprites redone makes sense and shows connection to the games being a remake and not a new game as a whole. I for one think it was a beneficial idea to have such similarity as like mentioned it brings back some nostalgic feel to the game. Of course there is an exception to the high quality sprites with better coloring, and graphics, but that is to be expected. Other than this the similar sprites between the remake and originals only sets its purpose.

Skaisdead

Movers and Shakers
    Years
    Some of them do appear to be based on the original sprites. It would have been really neat if they opted to give each opposing title an entirely unique set of sprites, but with 493 Pokemon instead of 251, it would have been a much more tedious process. I'm still content with the new sprites, though.

Especially Steelix.

Years
    Oh, I've never noticed that. That's interesting! Was it done for FRLG, tho? Considering the original sprites were... Pretty terrible (Pikachu- it's always had Spriting problems, poor thing:D). I don't really think they did it for FRLG, but Nintendo's style has kinda changed to include stuff we expect like this (well... It makes sense to me, probably no one else, but anyways), so I believe they're definately in the original poses.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    I don't really see how they're that similar. I mean the only thing similar about all of those three is that they're facing the same direction and standing up instead of sitting.

Not to mention there were two different sets of sprites for GS, yet there's only one for HGSS, which means they cold only match one.

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    Yeah, remake the game with similiar sprites, but hey These are the best pokemon sprites ever in HG/SS!!!!! ^.^

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    To be honest they don't really seem to have the same pose at all =/

I mean in any pokemon game the sprites are going to look somewhat similar because there are certain poses that make for a better sprite in some cases. And you don't want Gamefreak designing Pokemon that look like they're playing twister just because using a generic pose will make it look too similar to the last generation.

Yeah, that wasn't worded very well. But I'm tired :<

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2024
    Well, that's why we call them 'remakes'.
    But i don't think other Pokemon are in the same pose with the old Silver/Gold/Crystal.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Well, that's why we call them 'remakes'.
    But i don't think other Pokemon are in the same pose with the old Silver/Gold/Crystal.
    Exactly, only a select few have a similar resemblance to their original sprite. Even though, there are some who look like their original GS sprite, there are a lot more that have a new look altogether in their Pokémon sprite. So, as clear as it is to bring up some look like their original, more of them have changed. Plus, the gender differences in the some of the Pokémon's sprite also play a role in this as well. A small role, but yes it exists nonetheless.

Years
    Not all of them are the same, but some are obviously posed the same way as the originals (i.e. the ones listed in the first post).

I noticed a similar thing in FR/LG. As many have said, it's a remake, so it's not all that suprising.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
    yeah i noticed that for a few pokemon but not many.
    most kanto pokemon look like their sugamori art

(Graveler,Charizard etc)

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
    I thought that was the point of remakes. They make it as memorable as possible.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    I thought that was the point of remakes. They make it as memorable as possible.
    A remake is supposed to be a recreation of the original, sticking to the same plot and keeping the same idea as the original holds the most meaning to a remake. However, whether the sprites of the Pokémon were to be kept the same or differed in anyway at all, it wouldn't have affected the meaning of this being a remake. Keeping similarity between the two beenfits the idea of this game being a remake more, yes, but like proven not all the sprites remain to share the same pose as their original. It's nice that some did though, it brings back that nostalgia some were itching for.

Back