• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Script for checking if player if male or female?

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    I've started developing my own pokemon game and while I am not completely new to programming, I am rather new to both essentials and RPGM XP.

Right now I am currently working on the first town and i've run into a bit of an obstacle.

I can't really figure out how the script for RPG maker works. I tried to run a code to check the players gender and it immediately crashed.

I used the $Trainer.gender type to check if the value = 0 and that alone does not seem to work. Could somebody help me with the syntax?

Edit: Here is the code
    Spoiler:

Years
  • I've started developing my own pokemon game and while I am not completely new to programming, I am rather new to both essentials and RPGM XP.

Right now I am currently working on the first town and i've run into a bit of an obstacle.

I can't really figure out how the script for RPG maker works. I tried to run a code to check the players gender and it immediately crashed.

I used the $Trainer.gender type to check if the value = 0 and that alone does not seem to work. Could somebody help me with the syntax?

Edit: Here is the code
    Spoiler:

"=" sets a value, "==" tests a value
    However, if you're using the newest version,
    Code:
    $Trainer.isMale?
    will return the same result.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    "=" sets a value, "==" tests a value
    However, if you're using the newest version,
    Code:
    $Trainer.isMale?
    will return the same result.

Well, shoot, I should have known that. I underestimated just how similar the script is to a real programming language. Thank you for the help!

Years
  • Well, shoot, I should have known that. I underestimated just how similar the script is to a real programming language. Thank you for the help!

NP. Eventing isn't quite the same, but RGSS is based on Ruby, which is a real programming language.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Even in events, if you're typing something in rather than selecting radio buttons or check boxes, it's scripting and it's proper code. Given the option you were using is called "Conditional Branch Script", I thought it would have been obvious.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    Even in events, if you're typing something in rather than selecting radio buttons or check boxes, it's scripting and it's proper code. Given the option you were using is called "Conditional Branch Script", I thought it would have been obvious.

That's a pretty condescending way to talk to me. Given that you seem to be a big part of the game development community (having written some of the tutorials i'm using), i'm a bit shocked and hurt. The fact is that people, no matter their experience, make mistakes. Then again, I guess I probably shouldn't have suggested scripting code is not real code and I apologize for that.

Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2024
    Hi I know I'm quite a bit late to this discussion but I'm just wanting to ask which line in my script editor code do I implement that code $Trainer.isMale? and also is there anymore code I would need to implement to the script editor with that code to force the default name for the male player to be James and the female player choice to be called Diana if neither one has a name picked by the player? @mej71

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Hi I know I'm quite a bit late to this discussion but I'm just wanting to ask which line in my script editor code do I implement that code $Trainer.isMale? and also is there anymore code I would need to implement to the script editor with that code to force the default name for the male player to be James and the female player choice to be called Diana if neither one has a name picked by the player? @mej71
    Buddy you really should have made a new thread instead of necroing one that's 9 years old.
    What version of Essentials are you on? $Trainer doesn't exist in newer versions, it's $player now. And you'd use $player.male? in a conditional.
    As for gender specific names, you'll want to adjust def pbSuggestTrainerName(gender)
    Ruby:
    def pbSuggestTrainerName(gender)
      return "James" if gender==0 # male
      return "Diana" # all other genders (1 = Female and 2)
    end

Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2024
    Buddy you really should have made a new thread instead of necroing one that's 9 years old.
    What version of Essentials are you on? $Trainer doesn't exist in newer versions, it's $player now. And you'd use $player.male? in a conditional.
    As for gender specific names, you'll want to adjust def pbSuggestTrainerName(gender)
    Ruby:
    end
    yeah sorry, wont lie but never thought of doing a new thread. Basically what im trying to do is have it so if the player chooses no name when picking a boy it defaults to James and then do the same thing if they choose female with Diana and this is what i have so far, what lines in this do i need to remove and which ones do i need to change with your code? Never mind I figured out how to input your code and got it working now, thank you so much

Attachments

• Script for checking if player if male or female?
      Screenshot (2).png
      1.2 MB · Views: 3
      Screenshot (3).png
      836.5 KB · Views: 3
    Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2024
    Ruby:
    end
    Ive ran into another issue, if you wouldnt mind helping me. I have everything for fire reds original opening in pallet town done like oak stopping you in grass, taking you into lab and walking up to disappear and replace with a different professor oak but when he takes me into the lab he just stops moving inside and i cant move my player either for some reason? I have been trying all sorts of different thing but not matter what i try he and i cant move once in the lab, any idea on if i missing something for it?

Attachments

Screenshot (4).png
      156.7 KB · Views: 2
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Ive ran into another issue, if you wouldnt mind helping me. I have everything for fire reds original opening in pallet town done like oak stopping you in grass, taking you into lab and walking up to disappear and replace with a different professor oak but when he takes me into the lab he just stops moving inside and i cant move my player either for some reason? I have been trying all sorts of different thing but not matter what i try he and i cant move once in the lab, any idea on if i missing something for it?
    Make a new thread for a new question.
    Post the event pages too.

Back