• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Seasonal Changes

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    You know the day and night system; well now we have seasons as a new weather feature! If you recall back in Snowpoint City we had snowstorms and snow on the ground which made it hard to walk through, and with the idea of this in mind, have you ever thought about having other season changes in the future games? The thought came across GameFreak's mind and the seasons include the following four being Summer, Spring, Fall and Winter.

How it all works

The seasonal cycle runs on a simple system. Depending on what month it is the season will change as you go along and a new season starts each month. Unfortunately, in the beginning of the game you won't be able to pick the season you wish to start in and instead begin in the Spring. Pokémon, places, items and more exclusives can vary depending on the season you are in.

If you haven't heard about the system before, it's good to know the basics. ;)

☆ Certain Pokémon are only catchable within the occurring season. For example, Maggyo, Gamagaru, and Chobomaki are only available during Autumn, Spring and Summer while Kumashun, Tsunbeaa, and Baniricchi are exclusive to the Winter time.
    ☆ Cynthia is open to battle you during the Summer and Spring. Caitlin and Shikimi are seen visiting Cynthia in the Spring while Aloe, Kamitsure and Furou visit her in the Summer; all seen at Sazanami Town.
    ☆ A Snowfall will occur in the Winter time in Sekka City which unlocks more areas leading to more places as well as hidden items.
    ☆ Shikijika and Mebukijika change appearance colors during each season.

I'm sure there's quite a few of you who have already discovered the cycle, or maybe you've read up on it and seen how it all works. Now that you know and possibly experienced it for yourself, discuss away!

Last edited:
    Years
    Best. Feature. Evuh.
    I luuuuuv the seasonal changes. What makes it even better is the fact that I've been wishing for a feature like this when B/W was announced~ I'll definitely say that Fall looks the most beautiful of all the seasons. :3 (Even if Winter is my favorite season :x)

I also like how they made certain areas inaccessible depending on the season. Even if you have to wait until that specific season arrives, or time travel (IT'S LIKE ANIMAL CROSSING ALL OVER AGAIN!). :B

Kamigoroshi

Moemon Hunter
    Years
    ☆ Certain Pokémon are only catchable within the occurring season. For example, Maggyo, Gamagaru, and Chobomaki are only available during Autumn while Kumashun, Tsunbeaa, and Baniricchi are exclusive to the Winter time.
    ? Maggyo, Gamagaru and Chobomaki are all obtainable in spring, summer and autumn. You're right about Baniricchi and Tsunbeaa, but the polar bear pre-evolution Kumashun appears in all seasons.

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
    Maybe you could point out in the first post how seasons change at the start of the month, rather than a month after you've began playing? It could help avoid confusion, as I've seen a few people confused about that.

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years
    ? Maggyo, Gamagaru and Chobomaki are all obtainable in spring, summer and autumn. You're right about Baniricchi and Tsunbeaa, but the polar bear pre-evolution Kumashun appears in all seasons.
    Kumashun appears in all seasons only in the Freezer Container, but is exclusive only to Winter on Route Six and the Dragon Spiral Tower.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    Season change is so cool. It is really treating pokemon as if it were our world. I love how you are able to find different items depending on the season, like how in the snow you can access high places to get items.

The Red Chain

I was expecting the seasons to run for 4 months in-game just like they do in real life, but I'm ~much~ happier with it changing every month. Hey, it may not match the season in real life, but at least you can get certain things done quicker. Like evolving season-specific Pokemon, getting to an unreachable item you can only reach in Winter, and watching your Shikijika and Mebujika change colors faster. <3

I love the season thing. Gives an even more realistic feel to Pokemon games.

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2010

How it all works

The seasonal cycle runs on a simple system. Depending on what month it is the season will change as you go along and a new season starts each month. Unfortunately, in the beginning of the game you won't be able to pick the season you wish to start in and instead begin in the Spring. Pokémon, places, items and more exclusives can vary depending on the season you are in.

Wait, so you mean if another person started their game in early Oct 2010 while I started my game in late September 2010, we will be in different seasons? Like in Oct I'm already on Summer while the other is still on Spring and so on? Wouldn't that be like weird? If I battled with that person which season will my Shikijika reflect?

Edit: I'd like to add that the season strangely does not change when you first start the game. You must go into a new area that is different from when you last saved your game. Coz I was in the pokemon center when I started up my game this morning and it said Spring, but when I exited the center, it was Summer.

Last edited:

The Red Chain

Wait, so you mean if another person started their game in early Oct 2010 while I started my game in late September 2010, we will be in different seasons? Like in Oct I'm already on Summer while the other is still on Spring and so on? Wouldn't that be like weird? If I battled with that person which season will my Shikijika reflect?

Edit: I'd like to add that the season strangely does not change when you first start the game. You must go into a new area that is different from when you last saved your game. Coz I was in the pokemon center when I started up my game this morning and it said Spring, but when I exited the center, it was Summer.
    Every game starts on Spring no matter the date as far as I'm informed. I don't know if changing the DS's date will have an influence.. I'm pretty sure it does. Also the Summer thing is because it's the 1st of October. At the first of every month the season changes to the next in-game. XD

Years
    Here's the Different seasons image...

Seasonal Changes

My guess is that only the palettes change...

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2010
    Interesting, I wonder if there's any difference between Spring and Summer. At least I don't see much difference in terms of colour..

razzbat

dancer
    Years
    i was playing it in the middle of the night and as soon as it hit 12 and it became october, it became summer. XD
    this feature will also keep the game fresh for quite awhile.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I really like the idea of seasons, but... not how they all look. I think Summer should be brighter, but oh well. From those screenshots, though, Autumn defs looks the best and I can't wait to see that in full. I'm assuming overall, Spring will be pretty awesome, which is good. Dunno, Summer and Winter just look boring. There appears to be no "life", but really, that's how it's meant to be in Winter anyways, so yeah. XD;

Oh and Spring Shikijika is best, while Winter Mebukijika is best~

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Spring Route 1 was awesome. I always wanted to be in Japan, and this kind of got me. XD

But... what if the effects were in 3D? Imagine...

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    A snowfall in Sekka City..? That sounds cool. And yeah I guess the palettes only change but I think that's pretty cool. =]

Back