• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sequels or Remakes?

Alexander18

Banned
Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    Neither. Remakes are older games that are remade when no longer compatible with newer games. This is likely a third version split in two.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Agreed on the cameos.

It sort of felt like Colress and Grimsley should've served a real purpose rather than literally just showing up so you can later fight them in the Battle Tree. I'd like to see more development for them in USM so that they actually become involved in the storyline. It would be great to see Colress as the head of the Aether Foundation and Grimsley recruited as a Gym Leader/E4 member.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • Remakes are games rebuilt from the ground up. Third versions are altered versions of existing games/code and are thus not remakes at all. I have no idea why people confuse the term remake so much.

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen yesterday
    No actually they are not. Third versions are just a better version of the first pair of games. Games like FRLG, HGSS and ORAS are remakes. This is fact.
    Technically third versions are 'partial remakes'/enhanced editions.
    Remakes are games rebuilt from the ground up. Third versions are altered versions of existing games/code and are thus not remakes at all. I have no idea why people confuse the term remake so much.
    UxXeLzrgQI2bMSUabjRPfA.png

4373716.jpg

pkmin3033

Remakes are games rebuilt from the ground up. Third versions are altered versions of existing games/code and are thus not remakes at all. I have no idea why people confuse the term remake so much.
    Because video game developers realise that "remake" sounds and sells better than "remaster" so an exact definition of the term can be pretty hard to pin down when the two are used interchangably, and "re-release" sounds even more unappealing. Most people don't actually know what a remake is...

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • Because video game developers realise that "remake" sounds and sells better than "remaster" so an exact definition of the term can be pretty hard to pin down when the two are used interchangably, and "re-release" sounds even more unappealing. Most people don't actually know what a remake is...

I understand why companies want to disingenuously label/sell remasters as remakes, but I don't understand why the general populace accepts it.

If you went to someone and asked them the difference between a remake and a remaster in terms of movies, it would be as clear as crystal for them. But somehow when it comes to video games people have so much confusion. It's really not any more of a complicated matter when it comes to games.

Third versions of Pokemon games aren't even remakes or remasters, they're just rereleased with new/different content added in some places. Has Gamefreak ever even marketed Yellow/Crystal/Emerald/Platinum as remakes? I most certainly don't remember them ever having done so. Seems like the label was placed on them solely by fans.

pkmin3033

I understand why companies want to disingenuously label/sell remasters as remakes, but I don't understand why the general populace accepts it.

If you went to someone and asked them the difference between a remake and a remaster in terms of movies, it would be as clear as crystal for them. But somehow when it comes to video games people have so much confusion. It's really not any more of a complicated matter when it comes to games.

Third versions of Pokemon games aren't even remakes or remasters, they're just rereleased with new/different content added in some places. Has Gamefreak ever even marketed Yellow/Crystal/Emerald/Platinum as remakes? I most certainly don't remember them ever having done so. Seems like the label was placed on them solely by fans.
    Because the general populace doesn't care...or, where they do, they want to portray their precious game in as favourable a light as possible to enhance their own self-image amongst their peers. It's the same sort of marketing strategy in a way - it sounds more fresh and exciting when you call it a remake, no?

I think there is more to it with video games than there is with movies, which is why there is more room for disagreement. Video game remakes typically add more content than was present in the original game, which is what third versions do. There is much more to it than that - a visual upgrade at the very least - but that is enough to blur the line for some people. I don't agree with that, but I CAN see the rationale behind it.

I don't disagree with any of your points. I don't think you could really consider the third versions of Pokemon games as remakes in any sense other than that most literal definition, which is generally not how it is applied to video games. I don't think they'll be able to apply it to US/UM...if they had been on the Switch, I think there would have been a stronger argument for it. But even if these are the equivalent to third versions, or reimagined versions of the originals with a different story, I don't think that would be enough to call them remakes.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    USUM are most likely third versions, which is why I was so underwhelmed and disappointed when they were announced. :( I thought GF had moved past the idea of making people plunk down cash on "upgraded" versions of games they had already bought.

The fact that they announced that they were making a Switch game so soon after at E3 also told me that USUM are nothing but a stopgap that they're throwing together on the cheap to buy time until the new Switch game is ready.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • Another +1 of the appearances just being cameos

For example, Cynthia appearing in the B2W2. There wasn't a real reason why she was there than for the sake of just being there.

I don't think their cameos will be explained, but I do see them effecting the USUM's plot, specifically with Colress. I firmly believe that Colress is going to inspire/be behind the Necromza fusions due to hime being behind the Kyreum fusions in B2W2.

Intelligence

The return
    Years
  • Another +1 of the appearances just being cameos

For example, Cynthia appearing in the B2W2. There wasn't a real reason why she was there than for the sake of just being there.

I don't think their cameos will be explained, but I do see them effecting the USUM's plot, specifically with Colress. I firmly believe that Colress is going to inspire/be behind the Necromza fusions due to hime being behind the Kyreum fusions in B2W2.
    Colress had nothing to do with the Kyurem fusions. Drayden's family passed down the DNA Splicers generation after generation.

Years
  • Cameos for me too, but I feel like they can make the Pokemon experience more immersive and realistic imo, like, significant trainers would actually travel and journey to other regions to explore, hence why we see Cynthia in Unova and Sinnoh respectively.

pkmin3033

If these ARE re-imagined versions of Sun/Moon, it's going to be interesting to see what people classify them as if there is this much debate about what constitutes a video game remake in this day and age. Part of the issue here is the time gap between remakes closing, though. I mean, Atelier Rorona had a regular and a Plus version on PS3 and the latter had a substantial visual upgrade alongside additional content, so it could perhaps be considered a remake instead of a remaster...so having a remake of a game on the same console isn't outside the realms of possibility, rare as it may be. Although a year later? Seems unlikely. But then, Sun/Moon had a very rushed feeling to them I thought, so perhaps they were mere prototypes for US/UM...

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    The fact that the player starts at the same house as the one in in the original SuMo means that its not a sequal, unfortunatelly..

Back