• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sequels or Remakes?

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    No it isn't. Remakes are games like FRLG, HGSS & ORAS. USUM are not remakes and not sequels. That is fact. The events in USUM are not following up from SM. USUM has an alternate story. That is it.

Sequels or Remakes?

Key word is "differently". According to the very definition, it's not wrong to call this a remake.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    Sequels or Remakes?

Key word is "differently". According to the very definition, it's not wrong to call this a remake.

Wrong. Remakes are games like FRLG, HGSS & ORAS. Third versions are not remakes. This is fact and i am right. USUM are not remakes and that is also fact.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Wrong. Remakes are games like FRLG, HGSS & ORAS. Third versions are not remakes. This is fact and i am right. USUM are not remakes and that is also fact.

Am I though? They use the assets of the first 2 games, to make something better. Sounds like a remake to me....

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    While the word "remake" is technically correct to describe stuff like Platinum or US/UM, the word has different meaning when used in the Pokemon fandom. Alexander's definition of them as updated (mainly in terms of mechanics and graphics) versions of games made several years before the present time is basically what people near-universally mean when they say "remake(s)" in regards to main series Pokemon games.

Everything we know at this point indicates that Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon are closest to what we call "third versions". In the past they've always come in the form of one game instead of two, but what defines them more is the fact that they always come out within the same generation as the games they're based on--the number of games is not an important detail--so there is no major change in graphics and mechanics and renewal of compatibility with the current generation. Calling US/UM or even third versions in general remakes is, in the context of current Pokemon gaming, technically incorrect.

As a side note, this is also really the only difference between the two, as much of the other stuff like altered storyline, new areas, etc exist in both remakes and third versions. Don't know whether or not this warrants a change in terminology, though atm I lean toward "nah".

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    Am I though? They use the assets of the first 2 games, to make something better. Sounds like a remake to me....
    Yes you are wrong. Remakes are games that are no longer capable of communicating with the current. Third versions are enhanced versions of the first pair of the same generation.

Big difference. Not that hard to see.

Phyrrhic

It's not very effective...
    Years
    No it isn't. Remakes are games like FRLG, HGSS & ORAS. USUM are not remakes and not sequels. That is fact. The events in USUM are not following up from SM. USUM has an alternate story. That is it.

You THINK it isnt. We both have no idea. HGSS FRLG and ORAS could all also be considered sequels in some ways.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Why can't we just call literally every game an alternate story? That's *literally* what every game is. SS is different then HG, no matter how small the differences.

Edit: After looking at how different Crystal and Yellow were, I'm gonna be jumping on the third version boat.

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    You THINK it isnt. We both have no idea. HGSS FRLG and ORAS could all also be considered sequels in some ways.
    No. I KNOW it is. They are remakes. Not sequels. This is common fact that fans should know.

USUM are third versions. Not sequels or remakes. Again fact.

And no, we can't call every game an alternate story either. USUM is the only ones that stated to have an alternate story.

Last edited:

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    No. I KNOW it is. They are remakes. Not sequels. This is common fact that fans should know.

USUM are third versions. Not sequels or remakes. Again fact.

And no, we can't call every game an alternate story either. USUM is the only ones that stated to have an alternate story.

Just because GF doesn't officially state something doesn't make it untrue.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    Just because GF doesn't officially state something doesn't make it untrue.

Actually it does. Until GF confirms it then it remains untrue.

I recognize the difference between third versions, remakes and sequels. Proof is all over the internet. USUM are third versions as far as i know.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Actually it does. Until GF confirms it then it remains untrue.

I recognize the difference between third versions, remakes and sequels. Proof is all over the internet. USUM are third versions as far as i know.

Find me a post of GameFreak calling Yellow/Crystal/Emerald/Platinum a third version and I'll believe you. They aren't gonna tell us what to call it.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    Find me a post of GameFreak calling Yellow/Crystal/Emerald/Platinum a third version and I'll believe you. They aren't gonna tell us what to call it.

Why don't you find it instead of asking others to? Also Emerald and platinum has the third legendary as the mascot. That points to those games been third versions.

Yellow, Crystal, Emerald and platinum are third versions.

FRLG, HGSS and ORAS are remakes.

B2W2 are sequels.

USUM has an alternate story that replace the original story of SM it does not come after the events of SM. That means it is not a sequel. USUM are not remakes because they exist in the gen, same handheld, has same graphics and design.

That means USUM is a third version split in two. It is the only logical type of pokemon game it can be classed as.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Why don't you find it instead of asking others to? Also Emerald and platinum has the third legendary as the mascot. That points to those games been third versions.

Yellow, Crystal, Emerald and platinum are third versions.

FRLG, HGSS and ORAS are remakes.

B2W2 are sequels.

USUM has an alternate story that replace the original story of SM it does not come after the events of SM. That means it is not a sequel. USUM are not remakes because they exist in the gen, same handheld, has same graphics and design.

That means USUM is a third version split in two. It is the only logical type of pokemon game it can be classed as.

I'm not gonna find it, because quite frankly I find this whole debate rather unnessecary. If everyone's just gonna call it what they want, what's the point of arguing?

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    I'm not gonna find it, because quite frankly I find this whole debate rather unnessecary. If everyone's just gonna call it what they want, what's the point of arguing?

Alright then. If everyone wants to do that then that is their choice. But i stand by my points and what category i class the games in.

destinedjagold

I do not exist.
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2024
    In my opinion, I agree with Nah that the majority PKMN fandom has taken a different meaning to the mentioned words when it comes to the PKMN games. I believe it's a silent yet accepted agreement since Blue(in Japan) and Yellow were made.

Third versions are "remakes" of the original pair, but with improvements, however it's mostly called as just that, "third versions".

The word "remakes" were properly used by the fandom when FireRed and LeafGreen were made, and again, the majority of the fandom has accepted to call these "remasters" as "remakes".

Sequels are only applicable to Black and White's "third version" games, which were B2W2. They are still considered as 'third versions' by the vast majority of the fandom, and also respecting it as a sequel.

You could say that Gold, Silver and Crystal are the sequels to Red, Green, Blue and Yellow, yet the fandom calls the Gen2 games as "a new generation of core games" or whatever.

You can even say that Sun and Moon are sequels to Red, Green, Blue and Yellow, because an aged Red and Blue are there.

Going back to the main topic of the thread, in my opinion, I agree with the majority of the fandom that Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are 'third versions'.

Last edited:
    Years
    I personally feel US/UM are more along the lines of being a sequel like B2/W2, since the story is likely going to be completely different from S/M and not just a minor difference (like Emerald and Platinum were) and Alola will also have new areas added, much like how Unova received new areas in B2/W2.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
    If US/UM are a sequel, then I have an idea how it can possibly make sense as a sequel.

Sun/Elio or Moon/Selene are still the champion(s) and something has happened to cause them to restart their journey (New Trials, introduction of Gyms or something like that) and Kukui thinks it's a good idea that you have a new journey in Alola, so you choose another starter and begin a new journey.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I personally feel US/UM are more along the lines of being a sequel like B2/W2, since the story is likely going to be completely different from S/M and not just a minor difference (like Emerald and Platinum were) and Alola will also have new areas added, much like how Unova received new areas in B2/W2.

They are still alternate retellings ala Crysta, Emerald, and Platinum. I mean, calling them sequels would be like calling the different versions of Spider Man sequels to the first version of the comic when in reality they're alternate continuities.

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    In my opinion, I agree with Nah that the majority PKMN fandom has taken a different meaning to the mentioned words when it comes to the PKMN games. I believe it's a silent yet accepted agreement since Blue(in Japan) and Yellow were made.

Third versions are "remakes" of the original pair, but with improvements, however it's mostly called as just that, "third versions".

The word "remakes" were properly used by the fandom when FireRed and LeafGreen were made, and again, the majority of the fandom has accepted to call these "remasters" as "remakes".

Sequels are only applicable to Black and White's "third version" games, which were B2W2. They are still considered as 'third versions' by the vast majority of the fandom, and also respecting it as a sequel.

You could say that Gold, Silver and Crystal are the sequels to Red, Green, Blue and Yellow, yet the fandom calls the Gen2 games as "a new generation of core games" or whatever.

You can even say that Sun and Moon are sequels to Red, Green, Blue and Yellow, because an aged Red and Blue are there.

Going back to the main topic of the thread, in my opinion, I agree with the majority of the fandom that Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are 'third versions'.

Third version are third versions. Remakes are remakes. Sequels are sequels. They all different to each other. Sun and Moon are not sequels to Red, Green, Blue or Yellow. B2W2 are sequels and not third versions.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Third version are third versions. Remakes are remakes. Sequels are sequels. They all different to each other. Sun and Moon are not sequels to Red, Green, Blue or Yellow. B2W2 are sequels and not third versions.

They are indirect sequels. They might feature different characters or stories, but they take place in the same world, at different times. Even B2W2 could be considered an indirect sequel because it's different characters.

Back