• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

seven deadly sins

girliehhhhhh

safhsdjklhfsdjk;
    Years
    The thing about the 7 Deadly Sins is that they have a great, many sub-categories that can fall under each one. But I suppose that you need a general category for those sub-categories after all. But anyways, these 7 Deadly Sins always interest me and how they are often personified into flesh and all such things. With them, a person is no better than scum, but without them, one cannot advance, it is a wonderful dichotomy to think about. Although it seems that more sins CAN be added, these 7 are still nice, general categories to put them under.

what are your perspective/ideas in the seven deadly sins?

Roxichu

Blastoff at the Speed of Light
    Years
    These "sins" are really just normal aspects of human nature. Christianity has exploited them to keep the faithful in a constant state of guilt.

All to keep the tithes coming in as they will always have something to feel guilty about.

As an Atheist, I practice all seven every day for good mental health, and you should too! :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    They're just part of human nature. We give in to them every now and then, but we have ways to overcome them.

Years
    These "sins" are really just normal aspects of human nature. Christianity has exploited them to keep the faithful in a constant state of guilt.

All to keep the tithes coming in as they will always have something to feel guilty about.

As an Atheist, I practice all seven every day for good mental health, and you should too! :)

This. ^

Its in human nature to do these things/committ these sins. Its natural.

Future Arceus

I hate my name
    Years

I couldn't have said it any better myself! Though I suppose the church is greedy too to take the money...[the church sins!! :)]

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Not exactly, Roxichu...I'll leave that alone, but by no means am I in a state of guilt.

The Seven Deadly Sins are no more deadly than other "minor" atrocities, like lying or disobeying your parents. The idea that wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy and gluttony are different- that's a product of the Catholic church, extrapolated from the book of Proverbs.

I don't think it really categorizes all evil, but it certainly includes many of them.

Rinna

Uhm..woof?
    Years
    One of my favorite singers, Corey Taylor, is writing a book on them.

"I don't think they're sins at all. They're human characteristics. They're just human flaws and things that we all experience." -Corey Taylor

I agree with him.

Zet

Years
    How can the seven deadly sins have sub-categories? I haven't seen anything to say that you can't do this because it's apart of deadly sin x. Though as it has been said, the seven deadly sins are human nature.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    The Seven Deadly Sins are no more deadly than other "minor" atrocities, like lying or disobeying your parents. The idea that wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy and gluttony are different- that's a product of the Catholic church, extrapolated from the book of Proverbs.
    This pretty much sums up what I would have to say. Its really just human nature to commit anomalies like these.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Taken to an excess, they can be bad, but most are harmless by themselves. Apathy is pretty bad, though, and that's very similar to sloth.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    How can the seven deadly sins have sub-categories? I haven't seen anything to say that you can't do this because it's apart of deadly sin x. Though as it has been said, the seven deadly sins are human nature.

Dante explains this well.
    • Lust encompasses carnal desire as well as infidelity / adultery. You can be guilty of lust if you cannot control your sexual desires or if you are unfaithful to your mate.
    • Gluttony encompasses all in excess and addiction. You can be guilty of gluttony if you cannot moderate yourself (not just in terms of food, but anything in excess, such as drugs or alcohol). Gluttony can also be expressed in terms of having too much, having too soon, overindulging price-wise, wanting too eagerly, or being too picky.
    • Avarice encompasses miserliness and prodigality. You can be guilty of greed if you hoard your belongings or if you squander them. Avarice also encompasses fraud and betrayal for personal gain, whether through violence or untruthfulness.
    • Envy can be considered a subset of Greed, technically
    • Wrath encompasses destructiveness toward another (and their property), the world, God, or oneself AND the general feeling of anger, whether outwardly or repressed. You can be guilty of wrath if you (1) harm or cause negative impact on your neighbors, (2) display anger toward the world, (3) speak uncouth things about God or the nature of the world, (4) kill yourself, harm yourself, or (5) have general anger. Wrath is the most all-encompassing sin.
    • Sloth encompasses neglect and sorrow. You can be guilty of sloth if you are unwilling to fix your problems or if you are unable to overcome your sadness.
    • Pride encompasses boasting and hubris. You can be guilty of pride if you are overly AND overtly proud of your accomplishments or otherwise, or if you believe you belong in a higher state than you already are.

If you can think of a sin that can't be classified, mention it and I'll try to help.

Taken to an excess, they can be bad, but most are harmless by themselves. Apathy is pretty bad, though, and that's very similar to sloth.

More aptly, apathy IS a subset of sloth.

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
    were there ever pokemons of sins or is that too Western Religion or too mature a topic? I'd like a more mature oriented pokemon (NOT sex or ANYTHING LIKE THAT!!) i mean more like SMT series games... I stopped playing pokemon for about 7 years and still play SMT games. (Shin Megami Tensei) Persona 3 and 4 are my favorites. they deal with teenagers, and their emotions, social lives, and demons.

don't forget there are also 7 virtues

What are you on about?

My $0.02, though. Basically what's been said before. Human nature. Religious exremists have portrayed them as acts of atrocity in order to manipulate the population into living 'good, religious' lives.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016

Pretty much this. Uh... Not much else to say here so, uh, yeah.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    like pretty much everyone else has said, these are all very natural feelings and behaviors that aren't intrinsically "bad" but can be unhealthy in excess. i don't really like how the church puts human nature under such an evil and odious light, and rather than rationally advising against over-indulgence in certain habits, threaten perpetual torture to those who partake in them. it's almost...terroristic.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    Good and evil is really only a perception of the individual, and that made no sense, ok. Anyway, good can't exist without evil and evil can't exist without good, so what is good and what is evil is down for each person to decide. That made no sense either, ok.

Like everyone else said, it's just human nature. I'd be really surprised if no one commits a sin in their entire life.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    The seven deadly sins as they were explained to me in Sunday school in high school are aspects of human nature that you should be weary of indulging in excess. Everybody's guilty of at least one of them (I'm personally a wrath/envy guy myself), but acting on them will surely lose you any chance of achieving heaven or whatever positive afterlife you believe in. :/

Inversely, there is a list of seven heavenly virtues to counterpart each of the seven deadly sins, and they exist only to preach more benevolent and harmless aspects of human nature. Being chaste is generally better for your spiritual health than being lustful and all that jazz. XD

Years
    If I was to be completely honest, I don't see ANY sin as being deadly. Especially not a few of these ones.
    Envy, Sloth, Greed and Gluttony do nothing for me. I don't see them as being anything more than a complete waste of time.
    In saying that, Lust, Wrath and Pride are where it's at.
    For myself if I had to pick one that suited my character best, it would be Pride.
    Oddly enough, Pride is associated with Lucifer, the very FIRST prince of hell.

I'll take a moment to point out here for those that are unaware, each of the 7 deadly sins is directly associated with a specific demon. These demons are in fact the 7 princes of hell.

Back