• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Severe Discord Streaming Issue Help?

Years
    • Age 28
    • He/Him
    • Maine
    • Seen yesterday
    This isn't 100% regarding fan games, but it does effect my ability to play them with friends in some fashion so I was hoping someone might know what to do here. Discord is having issues which causes me to be incapable of streaming my fan game Nuzlockes to my friends who really want to watch me play. But kind of hard when Discord is having issues with what seems like no solution at hand. And if this isn't a good place to put this, I apologize.

Not sure if this is a good place to ask, but I'm about to commit a crime on Discord soon enough here. Having some serious, serious issues when using Discord streaming and wondering if anyone maybe had some spare solutions or have dealt with the same issues.

Basically when I try to stream games to my friends, everything goes haywire. Primarily my audio goes all robotic and eventually I can't even hear my friends talking. Top that off with the fact my screen often ends up going completely off and lagging up a storm or glitching hard from the viewer's perspective. I've done practically everything I can google up and no results, at all. Turned off various things like Hardware Acceleration, experimental method to capture audio, new technology to capture video, etc. I've reinstalled discord completely, cleared the cache, restarted computer, updated all drivers, just about everything imaginable with no results. All the same old song and dance. Frankly I've done so many possible "fixes" that I 100% probably left out some things I've tried and just forgot about since it didn't work, as usual.

So does anyone thing they could maybe provide some insight or help me out on fixing this? I've never had this issue streaming before until earlier this spring during Discord's updates around March/April. Since then streaming games has gone kaput. And mind you I could stream games like ARK and more perfectly fine, and currently am capable of very smoothly streaming media like movies and YouTube videos with no issues. Thanks in advance for any potential help. I'm kind of a trash techy.

My hardware is as follows, basically decent enough to get me by and normally stream reliably. Also my network is NOT the issue as I've also had these same exact issues while literally plugged into ethernet on GIGABIT internet of all things. Thus completely ruling out network issues.

i7-10700k core
    16 GB RAM
    NVIDIA RTX 2070

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 28
    • He/Him
    • Maine
    • Seen yesterday
    @donavannj

Yep. I've attempted to stream Pokemon fangames, Steam as well as games with other platforms or just doing their own specific platform with no success so far (i.e. epic games, rockstar games, etc). My main issue is that I have a feeling it is discord due to the fact I was streaming perfectly fine on anything until about April when updates came out. Then all of a sudden, streaming issues. Since then I hadn't done any risky downloads or anything of that nature, including no major changes or new software from questionable sites. But who knows really.

@Tsutarja

I had regions set to automatic since the whole regions update since I never even knew about it until just now. Tested by setting the VC channels to specific regions though since the friends I stream and play to are all over the country, one being on the opposite side of the country to me (I'm in Maine, she's in Nevada). I'm not sure if it made a difference, but with Automatic, it'd have issues even when I was the first person in the VC and thus would have set the VC channel to US East (my region). But I'll be trying manual region set tests in a moment here.

Edit; I just tried switching regions, specifically manually to my own. Still doing the same thing, makes me go static and robotic when I am VCing and streaming a game, as well as eventually I can't hear my friends at all.

Years
  • Yep. I've attempted to stream Pokemon fangames, Steam as well as games with other platforms or just doing their own specific platform with no success so far (i.e. epic games, rockstar games, etc). My main issue is that I have a feeling it is discord due to the fact I was streaming perfectly fine on anything until about April when updates came out. Then all of a sudden, streaming issues. Since then I hadn't done any risky downloads or anything of that nature, including no major changes or new software from questionable sites. But who knows really.

Oh, sorry, I should have been clearer, I was meaning that question as: "did you try using Twitch or another streaming platform to see if you have the same issues?" Trying to narrow down whether the issue is actually within Discord's software, or if it's down to your PC/router/ISP.

Years
    • Age 28
    • He/Him
    • Maine
    • Seen yesterday
    Ohhh, gotcha! Yep, I've been using Twitch quite often to stream other games during Bro Nights with my friend as well as streaming art with not a single issue whatsoever. This includes back at my old apartment which had probably some of the crappiest net out there, but still ran my art streams and minor game streams very smoothly despite the fact.

In all honesty I'm borderline ready to just not care about doing private streams with friends and just do my streaming on Twitch at this rate even if the public would be able to come in as well.

Years
  • Out of curiosity, what is your upload speed? Discord's protocols could require more upload speed than Twitch's when you're eating into your upload speed by gaming as it is. A stream needs both good download and good upload, and most home internet has garbage tier upload speeds even with good download speeds (my home internet connection was 100 down and 20 up). Your Gigabit could be Gigabit down but something relatively disproportionate like 50 up.

Years
    • Age 28
    • He/Him
    • Maine
    • Seen yesterday
    Sorry, I think I worded that poorly above. I've had the issues on a different network I used often that was gigabit before, but I have different net where I am at the moment. Though I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case after certain updates to Discord. But again, I had been streaming perfectly fine prior to the April updates on both said gigabit internet I used as well as my old apartment's internet as well.

So that is what has me so perplexed, as after doing speed tests (both before just to know what I was working with for other reasons in the past, and after my Discord troubles because I was concerned network was an issue) I had confirmed there were no download nor upload speed changes on any networks I've used and successfully streamed through Discord with even after I started having issues. So I'm sort of trying to use a process of elimination mindset here, but could be wrong, too.

My current internet meanwhile has a download speed of 112.3mbps where as my upload speed sits at 9.56mbps

I definitely can say both old networks I used had very low up speeds versus their down speeds. If I recall right, my old apartment's net was about 50 range down and about 5 up with not a single issue. Where as the gigabit network I was on often had the gigabit down, but only 25 up on the flip side, which again both had no issues for the longest time.

Sorry if this is all complicated or annoying. I'm just as perplexed as you may be, and I appreciate you at least offering to help me out here. I suck at tech stuff like this and google hasn't done much for me. So I've just kind of come to a road block as of late.

Years
  • What resolution are you streaming to with Discord? If you are streaming at 1080p30 or 1080p60, then 9.56 Mbps might not cut it.

You may need to lower the resolution you are streaming at to be acceptable within your bandwidth limits.

Years
    • Age 28
    • He/Him
    • Maine
    • Seen yesterday
    Streaming at 720p 30fps on average. But the issue is that I would NEVER go without using wired connection when I used the gigabit network and the issue persisted. Which is why this has me so perplexed. I just can't wrap my head around it. X_X Might just cave and stream on Twitch instead and just hope it's boring enough that only my friends watch me. Sounds like my best solution at this rate.

Years
    • Age 28
    • He/Him
    • Maine
    • Seen yesterday
    Did one last ditch effort by trying to use OBS Virtual Camera and "Stream" it that way instead. Low and behold, did not work at all so I'm just going to switch to Twitch streaming at this rate in all honesty. Thanks though for the troubleshooting help.

Back