• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sheer Cold, keep it? scrap it?

Sheer Cold, keep it? scrap it?

• Keep it

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Scrap it

Votes: 23 82.1%

• Total voters

Moltres Rider

Banned
    Years
    this poll is not meant for regarding Pokémon that have the mind reader + sheer cold combo

when your Pokémon has the opportunity to learn Sheer Cold... do you keep it (learn the move) because it is a one hit KO or do you scrap it (abandon learning the move) because it only has a 30 accuracy

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Ummmm I don't want some low PP will likely fail move. I'm an in game kinda dude. I pass on all OHKO moves.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    It would've been nice if you mentioned the other OHKO moves too.

Anyway, I don't make my Pokemon learn Sheer Cold or other OHKO moves because they're too unreliable, even in-game.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Feb 1, 2016
    I voted "Keep it" because when I first time used that move on my Lapras I was like "What was that!?". Since that Sheer Cold have been one of my favourite Ice-type move. All OHKO moves (Sheer Cold, Quillotine, Fissure and Horn Drill) are unreliable but cool when you success. My record is 3 streak of Fissure.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    Sheer Cold is completely useless in competitive battling. (Aside from it being banned, it's never a reliable move and turns the metagame into cheap, luck-based crap)

Also keep in mind that OHKO moves only have 5 PP, therefore you can only rely for it to succeed 1 or 2 times. Plus, there are much better moves to use than OHKO moves. (Ice beam, Blizzard under hail...)

Pixel!

Smallest graphical unit
    Years
    Sheer Cold is completely useless in competitive battling. (Aside from it being banned, it's never a reliable move and turns the metagame into cheap, luck-based crap)

Also keep in mind that OHKO moves only have 5 PP, therefore you can only rely for it to succeed 1 or 2 times. Plus, there are much better moves to use than OHKO moves. (Ice beam, Blizzard under hail...)

Said everything, I however feels proud when it does work ^_^
    But pretty much everywhere,other than the games they're banned,so there isn't much of a chance to use them

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    It would've been nice if you mentioned the other OHKO moves too.

Anyway, I don't make my Pokemon learn Sheer Cold or other OHKO moves because they're too unreliable, even in-game.

Then just pretend he did. This applies to all OHKO moves, not just Sheer Cold, for variety's sake.

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
    I always pass on OHKO moves, just too unreliable. Plus only a few pokemon learn them and its at a very late level

Zapperz

colour swapper!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    i dont rely on OHKO moves cause they are sooooooo unpredictable when i use em. they only work when I dont want them to

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    I scrap it since the accuracy is so low that it never actually hits anything unless someone at the Battle Frontier is using it on you.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I skip OHKO moves unless the Pokemon has a really shallow movepool (read; 3rd gen Walrein). They're just too unreliable. Unless of course, an opponent in the Battle Frontier/Tower uses it on you. Then somehow it seems like its accuracy is more like 70:/

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Unless there's absolutely nothing else that a critter can learn in its place, I normally never OHKO moves to them. As has been mentioned previously: way too unreliable, too few HP etc. It certainly wouldn't be the end of the world if they were removed from the games, but I doubt it will happen, unfortunately.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
    I never keep OHKO moves.
    When other use them on my Pokémon, that works, but when I decide to use them, that always fail... Thus I'd scrap Sheer Cold.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    No, they're useless to me. I don't like relying on it, it's like a last resort thing that doesn't even work. What annoys me more is that in-game NPC's somehow make it hit about 80% of the time against me.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    My stratagems are generally forged around weaker high-accuracy moves, so OHKOs are not used.
    I've seen such as a Rhyperior with a Zoom Lens and Fissure used to great effect; it's just not my style.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2024
    Ummmm I don't want some low PP will likely fail move. I'm an in game kinda dude. I pass on all OHKO moves.

This. I don't play competitive. I'm even more concerned with accuracy rather than power. For example, I prefer Flamethrower rather than Fire Blast.

Back