• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Shinies

Folkedahl

Wizard
Years
  • Of course there's the notorious Red Gyarados, but aside from that, I don't think I've ever encountered another shiny pokemon in G/S/C. And I dunno if I'm just lucky, but I'm always to find at least one other in all my other games, excluding first gen. Has anyone ever seen a shiny in the wild in any of these games?
    I just love shinies. I don't really know why, I probably wouldn't if those were just their normal colors, but they're so vibrant and fantastic. And I've also heard that breeding with a shiny gives you a 1/64 chance to produce a shiny. Which is pretty shoddy, but definitely better than the 1/1080 or whatever it normally is. My only problem is that I have a female Red Gyarados, so breeding isn't quite that simple.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I guess you could keep breeding with Ditto/other Gyarados until you get a shiny, male Gyarados. :B And I think the shiny rate is more along the lines of 1/8192, not 1/1080. ;-;

MysticFlygon

Rookie Hacker
    Years
  • Besides the red Gyarados I've found a shiny Beedrill in the bug catching competition and a shiny Ariados on Route 37 both of which were on crystal. As for the breeding thing, I've only heard that breeding with a foreign Pokemon increases your chance for a shiny and that wasn't until 4th gen.

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
  • As for the breeding thing, I've only heard that breeding with a foreign Pokemon increases your chance for a shiny and that wasn't until 4th gen.

In Gen 2 shininess depends on IVs, and because IVs are passed on through breeding, there's a bigger chance of getting a shiny a parent is shiny.

Yeah, I've seen one or two. A Weedle is the only one I remember though.

TrilbyMenetti

HeartGold trainer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 3, 2011
    I've been unlucky with shinies. All I ever encountered was the Shiny Gyrados, which isn't special at this point and a Shiny Nincada in Ruby, which I caught.

Clearly my cartridges don't like me. Not that it matters, Shinies aren't everything.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • I've not seen many shinies during my time playing Gold either tbh, and i've only ever caught two (Red Gyarados and a shiny Pidgey or something).

Shinies don't interest me in the slightest, i'm afraid ):

Erufuun

apple bunny lover <3
    Years
  • My first other shiny besides shiny Gyarados was a shiny Marill... Not even kidding~ <3 I was so young too, I can't believe I traded in that game. ;;
    I didn't know the value of a shiny back then... D:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Only shiny other than Red Gyarados I got was the one in Crystal from the Odd Egg, and I had to SR just to make sure I got a shiny. :( It was Igglybuff. Not the most notable, but eh, I'll take it.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Besides the Gyarados and the Odd Egg (which was an Elekid), I got myself a shiny Pidgey and Sentret back in Silver.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I've only ever encountered one shiny and that was a Level 4 Shinx in Pokémon Diamond a couple of years ago, I never knew about shiny Pokémon back when playing R/B/Y & G/S/C so I could have encountered one then but not known that it was rare :nervous:

XDragonRiderX

Time flies.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2021
    Hmm.... shinies I don't think I.... wait a sec... my Gold just encountered a Pokemon..... why is it sparkling? OH MY GOD!!!!!! Yea... I was like Chuggaconroy (youtube) whe he encountered Koffing. Aside from that, the only other was Butterfree in my HG in Viridian Forest. My bro was so mad because I caoght it before him =)

Guest123_x1

Apart from Red Gyarados, I only remember one encounter with a Shiny Pokémon. I think it was on Route 37. I don't think I captured it though... :(

Last edited:

-Cygnus-

It's an odyssey
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2015
    Never. Which is weird because I'm not gonna brag but I've not had terrible luck with shinies in other games... I've caught at least two shiny zubats/golbats in gen III, and encountered one shiny Groudon (which I killed :'() Gen II shinies seem pretty awesome to me though.

Joey's Rattata

Top Percentage
    Years
  • Once I thought a Spinarak was Shiny, and went ballistic trying to catch it.

...Then it turned out that Spinarak wasn't green until Crystal when I looked it up. >_<

pokewalker

If it ain't Dutch,it ain'tmuch
    Years
  • I've really had terrible luck with shinies. One Gyarados in Gold (of course ><), a shiny Zubat in my Jap. HG, shiny Gyarados in SS&HG, shiny Tamagetake in White... Hatching eggs now for shiny Cyndaquil. I sure hope my SID is better in Pokémon Black...

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    Okay, I caught shiny Hoothoot years ago and 3 weeks ago I restarted my silver and a shiny Hoothoot appears again... Thats just plain silly =P

Pops

"Jolly good show!"
    Years
  • My shinies since Gold n Silver

Shiny Smoochum
    Shiny Nincada, Zangoose, Kyogre, Wailmer.
    Shiny Glaceon, Lucario, Unown !, MUCH MORE.

I have so many shinies on my platinum, all legit. ^_^;

Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2014
    I have never encountered one to this day (besides Gyrados of course) which is very disappointing to think about!

Years
  • Aside from the Red Gyarados, I specifically remember running into two shiny Pokemon in my multiple playthroughs of G/S/C, both of which may sound like fishtales, but I promise you they are not.

The first was as a kid: remember that Snorlax near Vermillion? That was a shiny Snorlax for me. =D

Now the second one is even harder to believe, and it happened only a few years ago. I was starting a new game in Silver, and I had just gotten my first set of Poke Balls. All set to start on that Pokedex, I begin the hunt. And what's the first wild Pokemon to show up? A freakin' pink Sentret. I kid you not. I caught that sucker, and even though I wasn't planning to use a Sentret, I kept her with me, and she eventually evolved into a pink Furret right before Goldenrod. She was my little good luck charm. =)

Back