• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shiny BREEDING. how i do i maximize the odds? I have a shiny Ditto, will it help?

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2023
    Hello Guys i wish to try my luck at shiny breeding with breeding being a key word as i do not wish to capture shinies in the wild because some moves are only available through breeding. I have the shiny charm, so how do i better the odds even more? I have a shiny Ditto i caught from Lets Go Pikachu, will that help? And if not, what else should i do? I looked at the shiny hunting available here, but like i said i have no interest in shiny hunting through Pokeradar, although for hidden natures, i would do it. ^^ And finally, i have also heard of the international ditto method, is this the best way or not? I was under the assumption a shiny ditto would be better but is that really the case or not? Shiny Ditto vs International Ditto, which is the best? Any advice would be appreciated!

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Assumes Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl, given the comment about the PokeRadar.

1. Use a Ditto with a different nationality than the other parent. May say JPN, ENG, SPA, FRA, or so on. Refers to this as the Masuda method. Grants you five extra rolls to be shiny.

Also works if you have a parent with a different nationality and a normal Ditto, for the record.

2. Get the Shiny Charm. Works on eggs. Provides an additional two shiny rolls.

Odds per egg with just the Shiny Charm: about 1 in 1366
    Odds per egg with just the Masuda Method: about 1 in 682
    Odds per egg with both: about 1 in 512

Gains no benefit from breeding with a shiny Pokemon. Improved your odds a long time ago, in Gold/Silver/Crystal days, due to how shinies were determined. (Became shiny with a specific set of Deterministic Values, the old equivalent of Individual Values today.) No longer applies, so do not worry about it.

Oh, and some non-shiny breeding things, in case you were not aware:
    • Passes down 5 Individual Values instead of 3 by having one parent hold a Destiny Knot. Makes no difference which Pokemon.
    • Make one Pokemon hold an Everstone to pass down their nature (such as an Adamant nature). Passes down the nature of the Pokemon holding the Everstone.
    • Hatches eggs faster by having a Pokemon with either the Flame Body, Magma Armor, or Steam Engine ability in your party. Does not stack.

Good luck on getting the shinies you want.

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2023
    Ok thank you! I already knew about destiny knot and evertsone, i have used them a lot, to say the least. Now how do i get a international ditto? It seems to me The GTS In BDSP offers only random trades, how do i get an international ditto?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Already posted in the Trade Corner section, by the looks of it. Do you have a smartphone? Recommends the Pokemon Home app, if so. Runs the usual GTS on that. Make sure to request a Ditto that can travel to BDSP. Should eventually get one that is not from your country.

Back