• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Shiny Gyarados Unnecessary?

Do you agree with there being a Red Gyarados?

• Yes, go shiny Gyarados!

Votes: 56 72.7%
  • No, I get my shinies 100% 1/8,200

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 17 22.1%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2009
    when i use themm they dont unnecessarily do as much as the dull ones. but who knows :D

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
    Years
  • The Shiny Pokemon needed to be made known, and a Red Gyarados is just awesome, so they basically gave us the message that..

"This is a Shiny Pokemon there are others like it, go find them.
    This one is on the house!"

Heather

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2021
    I dont think its unnessary. Its just a shiny give away. Thats the only shiny I have incounter on any of my games. Very easy to get.

dc_united

Josh Wicks doesn't like you
    Years
  • It's not unnecessary- if they didn't make any mention of 'different' (shiny) pokemon in the game or instruction book, then if people saw a shiny rattata or dratini, they'd probably think they're game was screwed up.

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
  • It was probably a way to introduce Shinies to the games. So that the players would know they're there and wouldn't doubt that they exist. I couldn't care either way if they used a shiny gyarados or not. I, honestly, never really cared for the shiny Pokemon. I mean, I like the way they look and all. But, other than that, I'm indifferent about them.

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
    Years
  • The other thing is in the metal games, "Shininess" was determined by IV's so shiny Pokemon were basically guaranteed to have high stats, that Red Gyarados for example.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • I dont think its unnecessary, for two reasons!

1. It showcased shinies (as people have said)
    2. It was part of the plot. :\

Also, I cant believe not many people have brought up the free egg you get in crystal which has a high chance of it hatching into a shiny Pokemon.

Jumpluff

I make the Rules, You follow.
    Years
  • The point was for people to even know "Shinys" was real and It wouldn't complains saying "I want a shiny Pokemon!"

Back