• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shinyhunters do you love them or hate them?

infersaime

Come and get me
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 10, 2024
    There are a lot of shinyhunters I not really hate them but there annoying because I don't see the point of having a shiny pokemon. the only difference there is is the colour.

So do you love them or hate them?
    And if you are a shinyhunter why do you hunt shinies.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    I don't hunt shinies or try to use special methods to get them, because I feel like they're meant to be a rarity. It makes it so much more special when one day you accidentally stumble across one and get to catch it rather than spending your days trying to make it happen.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I'm jealous of their dedication, tbh. I could never dedicate myself to hunting shinies like they do but I do like shinies, so I've never had one but I have a horrible case of jealousy towards people that put in the effort SRing or using the PokeRadar or breeding endlessly.

Actually I might breed endlessly if I had a Japanese Ditto, lol.

blue

gucci
    Years
    I respect the time and effort they put into it but I know I couldn't, besides it doesn't really bother me whether a Pokémon is shiny or not.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    The only difference might be the colour, but it is about how rare they are which makes them so special, obviously. But like Andy already said, it's way more rewarding when you encounter a shiny without having to hunt.

The Author

The Hero of Knothole Glade
    Years
    Their dedication is truly amazing. I couldn't be a shinyhunter and I've been known for being extremely patient. xD

It just doesn't seem to be that important, so if I'm bored I'll go out and look for shinies but other than that I see no point. :/

I ran into a shiny Quagsire once....

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Why would I hate them? I don't understand their insane amounts of patience, but no, I don't hate shiny hunters.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    I guess I tolerate them. I don't really like having pictures of shiny Pokemon shoved down my neck, as it just reinforces my pretty pathetic position of not having seen a shiny critter that isn't a Red Gyarados. On the other hand, they have real patience and dedication and a real tenacity that's hard to deny. In many ways - i.e. the ways that don't involve them shoving shinies down my neck - it's quite an endearing feature. But the constant talk of shinies can get quite annoying if left unfiltered...

ScarletCross

Cresselia Fan
    Years
    I've never encountered a shiny pokemon in my whole game play of Diamond and White. *But I think I may have seen a shiny Ponyta once and not known it was shiny....*
    I understand their dedication because if a pokemon is shiny its worth more but I wouldnt hunt for them. Mainly because I'm lazy on pokemon... x)

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
    Years
    Like a lot of others, I respect their INSANE amount of patience. I could never do that for hours on end, everyday. I don't hate them, but I don't love them either. I've ran into 2 shinies in my whole life: Oddish on Sapphire, and Miltank on Crystal. I've caught the Oddish but my brother deleted my save game, so it's gone forever. I really wish I could run into a random shiny, catch it, and raise it to be a great Pokemon. I think it's much more fun to run into them then to go hunting for them. I feel it's much more natural that way.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
    I've only ever caught one, my shiny Arcanine, and I was very, very exited when I did. I don't know, I guess it's a game, and you can play it any way you want, as long as it's fun to you, but I sure wouldn't take it that far.

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2013
    well, as a shiny hunter, it isnt always hours on end that you sometimes hunt. in fact, a few times where i got a shiny within minutes of either starting the game (Petilil and Patrat within 8 encounters, and there was another i got within 6 encounters) or one that just randomly appears when your doing something else (Ralts and Farfetch'd while grabbing eggs). then there are the long hunts. ive sometimes gone 10-12 hours hunting and nothing shows up.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I only hunt shiny pokemon that are either attractive in different colors or if they're a yellow shiny color (simply because Yellow is my favorite color).
    Other than that I could care less. I guess the real attraction to shiny pokemon in general is the choice of having a pokemon that's a different color than normal.

(Think of it like clothes, sure Jeans are commonly in Blue and it is easier to find Blue Jeans and if you don't care about the color than who cares, but once in a while isn't it cool to wear Black Jeans or White Jeans? They're exactly the same as regular Blue Jeans, but the attraction is the different color that is not common.)

Edit: For you guys that say you either encounter a lot of shiny pokemon vs. hardly encountering any shiny pokemon, you guys should be informed that this is actually based on your SID. There is an SID scale where your SID is picked from a large collection of numbers, based on where your SID lies on this scale determines your likelihood of encountering Shiny pokemon.
    If you have a positive SID, your Shiny encounters are much more frequent, If you have a Negative SID, your Shiny encounters are less likely to occur.
    Every time you start a new pokemon game file, you are randomly given an ID and an SID. (This just in case you guys did not already know this. It may be helpful in some ways.)

Last edited:
    Years
    I do it for the feeling you get when you finally find that rare something. I also do it because I like the appearance of some of them. This is why I like the Pokéradar even though it's easier than the "real way."

This is wrong. Your odds of finding shiny Pokémon are the same in any game besides Emerald.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I do it for the feeling you get when you finally find that rare something. I also do it because I like the appearance of some of them. This is why I like the Pokéradar even though it's easier than the "real way."

This is wrong. Your odds of finding shiny Pokémon are the same in any game besides Emerald.

I did a ton of SID research in the past in order to learn how to hunt for shiny's more efficiently, I used many different websites that specialized in showing me how to detect my SID (including Smogon University) and how to read the numbers in order to figure out the likelihood of Shiny appearance as well as how to use it to efficiently track down the shiny pokemon I was looking for.

The purpose of an SID is to provide a piece of data that determines the overall outcome of your game. It seperates your data from any other person who might have similar game data to yours. This data makes everything you do in the game individual (as best as it's number database can possibly provide), which determines what types of encounters you have, what types of IV's you can achieve in certain pokemon, what kind of natures your pokemon may have, and yes of course, what types of shiny encounters you may have. If everybody always had the same likelihood of finding shiny pokemon than wouldn't that mean that everybody would be able to find shiny pokemon after a certain amount of time or steps? The SID is what gives randomness to player characters, encounters, natures, and yes even shiny pokemon encounters. That's what it's purpose is for. To make the games individual for each person who plays the game.
    With saying all this, YES, your SID does determine your likelihood of encountering Shiny Pokemon, and everybody's is different, some have an SID that provides them frequent shiny encounters, and some have an SID that provides very little amount of shiny encounters

So unless you have some evidence/data that proved all the work I did in order to help use my SID to find my Shiny pokemon is wrong, I would ask you to not simply say I'm wrong with nothing to back you up. Data speaks louder than words.

Some References:

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Trainer_ID_number

https://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/deducing_secret_id

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I don't try to look for shinies; I simply let them come to me.

As for the liking/hating of shiny hunters, I don't really hate them because they're committed to finding something that they like, even if it takes them days, weeks or even months to find it.

Years
    The mathematical formula used to decide whether a mon is shiny is:

floor((tid XOR hid XOR upperPV XOR lowerPV) / 8) == 0

The first two values are constant for a save file, and the other two are uniform 16-bit random integers:
    floor((const XOR const XOR rand(16) XOR rand(16)) / 8) == 0

Any operation involving constants is, itself, a constant, so:
    floor((const XOR rand(16) XOR rand(16)) / 8) == 0

Now, when you XOR a number of any kind with a random variable of the same number of bits, and all you keep is the result, the result is, itself, a random variable. (See one time pad and stream cipher for more information on the theory of this.)
    Using this fact, we can simplify our expression further, to:
    floor((rand(16) XOR rand(16)) / 8) == 0

Trivially, this fact holds true for two random variables, giving:
    floor(rand(16) / 8) == 0

Because we are dividing by a power of two, the least significant bits disappear and all the other bits are just moved down, providing:
    rand(13) == 0 "A random 13-bit integer must equal zero."

The odds of this happening are the same as 13 consecutive Bernoulli trials (coin flips) with P=0.5 being false, or 0.5^13 = 1/8192

Deviations from this happen because of broken random number generator implementations. Pokémon Emerald is the most notorious culprit, where the RNG is seeded with the same data every time, causing the same PVs to be generated for a given system run time. The set of frames one will encounter performing soft resets is usually in the range of 200, depending on the encounter method and the speed of the player. This means the same 200 trials are repeated over and over again and, for some IDs, these trials don't yield any shinies.

Other games seed more intelligently. R/S use the built-in clock to seed. FR/LG use the time spend on the title screen plus possibly other sources. The 4th-generation games and on use the DS's built-in clock.

PS. Don't be so closed-minded and quick to condemn someone who says anything that's different from what you believe. I could go back and add Bulbapedia links for all these facts, but I've already wasted enough time writing this post.

dozo

party hardy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2014
    I think they're silly. The only difference is the rarity/color.
    Though I agree they are nice to have, I wouldn't go hunting them down.

Years
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5889238/why-is-xor-the-default-way-to-combine-hashes
    Finding trustworthy sources is harder than you would expect.

Use your head for a minute. Someone places a coin on a table. I flip another coin. If it's heads, I flip their coin. If it's tails, I leave it alone. I then put my coin back in my pocket and forget what it was. Their coin is now random, regardless of whether it was heads or tails at the start.

Back