• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should alcohol be banned?

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    Oh and dark beer. Healthy benefits of tequila, vodka can help prevent Type 2 Diabetes, so moderation is really the key. Jeez, even whiskey can help prevent heart disease. It varies with the drinker and some other factors though.

About your last link, its from 1998. Outdated research, find something a lot more recent. Also, the Whiskey needs to be a aged whiskey. Your standard stock you can buy $25 a bottle isn't going to be aged enough for it to have the health benefits. That said, it doesn't even say what specific age the whiskey needs to be for it to have benefits. All we know is that the whiskey with health benefits is 12 years old. Also...

However, the bad news is that scientists found that the benefit was achieved by drinking just once a week.

Once a week. Just once. And with how addictive strong alcohol, i.e, whiskey, is you better be careful that you don't start drinking everyday.

That and it's a short lived boost. Your better off eating a handful of grapes a day, rather then drinking a shot of whiskey each week.

As for the health benefits...
    https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/168698.stm

But still alcohols health benefits are determined by moderation and a balance of risk vs reward. If you have enough self control to only drink it once a week, then good. Odds are, you won't.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    Nah. If someone abuses it then ends his or her life early (drunk driving... illness... etc), then it's all down to his or her own stupidity.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    Honestly, it can't be banned. America has tried to, & all that did was up the crime levels & the amount of riots. Not to mention that it also made people make their own alcohol.

I personally have no problem with people drinking, just as long as they do so in moderation & the more important thing, they don't insist on driving right after all this. My only problem is with those people who drink this stuff literally by the gallon/liter. I don't know why people would do this, but it's downright ridiculous.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    Nah. If someone abuses it then ends his or her life early (drunk driving... illness... etc), then it's all down to his or her own stupidity.

Drunk driving which can kill other people.

If a person wants to drink themselves to death, fine. Just don't intentionally put others at risk.

Years
    Anything which is dangerous that people can't prove they're mature enough to handle should be kept out of their hands. Alcohol shouldn't be banned, but it should be heavily restricted and/or taxed to death so that it's really expensive and only the people who really want it will pay for it and it'll provide revenue to the government to pay for police to patrol for drunk drivers and things like that.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    No, simply because if it were, people would bootleg it, and there would be even more crime going on. Face it, people love alcohol, a simple law wont stop them from getting what they crave.

Ayutac

Developer who wants your help
    Years
    but it should be heavily restricted and/or taxed to death so that it's really expensive and only the people who really want it will pay for it
    Look at some beggars. They are in this situation (for them, it's kinda expensive) and nevertheless…

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    It's essentially poison.

It is poison.

I don't think it should. I mean, it causes problems, but only for the people who let themselves lose control with it. Taking it away entirely will only cause people to make their own alcohol(such as moonshine).

I can understand why we should take it away from certain people, but oh my god there's no way to control that.

But yeah no, I think banning alcohol is a terrible idea. Mainly cause I like a nice glass of wine, or a shot of flavored liquor, and being able to legally enjoy it.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    And the drinking age is 21, so legally, you can't.

If people can't follow the regulations pertaining to the use of certian items, then get rid of the items all together. And crack down hard on those that refuse to follow the ban.

Last edited:

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    And they are breaking the law. Your point is?

Laws are their for a reason. While you might not agree with them, as long as you live in a certian country/state you should at least have enough respect to follow whatever laws they have. Don't like the law? Don't break it, change it.

Last edited:

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    My point is, whether you like it or not, the law will be broken lmfao. Jump off your stallion, and consider how society works for a second.

Even if alcohol did get banned, people would still find a way to drink it. The same way weed is illegal, and people smoke it anyway.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    Commiting illegal acts doesn't make them acceptable.

And its opinions like "it's illegal, but everyone does it anyway so I will too" that contribute to the downfall of a decent society, and turn a decent society into a corrupt one.

And thats why we need a severe crackdown on those that do break the law. They get a slap on the wrist as is, and they have no fear of breaking those laws again because of it. Harsher punishments for crimes would help a lot in thinning out the problems in society.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    Mr. X said:
    And thats why we need a severe crackdown on those that do break the law. They get a slap on the wrist as is, and they have no fear of breaking those laws again because of it. Harsher punishments for crimes would help a lot in thinning out the problems in society.
    What sort of punishments would you have in mind for underage drinkers?

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    The simple solution would be to make it legal(for underage drinkers) but with restricting guidelines. Only in the US is alcohol so taboo yet accepted. It is because we make such an active stance against it that people take up the habit so much. We make it seem as if it is some forbidden fruit with some kind of magical properties. That's the problem. I'm not saying to get kids drunk, but in other countries where them having a glass of wine every so often at dinner kind of lowers the need to go and get hammered in the forest without anyone sober enough to baby sit.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years

What sort of punishments would you have in mind for underage drinkers?

Forcefeed them Alcohol until they get alcohol poisoning. Make it severe enough to put them in pain, but not severe enough to kill them. Give them 24 hours to recover. Repeat about a dozen times.

If they develop a alcohol addiction because of it, then put them into a treatment program and don't bother with the slowly cutting down part. Just cut them off entirely, all at once. Once they are cured, release them.

Repeat if they do it again.

Anyway, you know the new labels in the US for cigarettes? I'd love to see something like that on alcohol bottles as well.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    Forcefeed them Alcohol until they get alcohol poisoning. Make it severe enough to put them in pain, but not severe enough to kill them. Give them 24 hours to recover. Repeat about a dozen times.

If they develop a alcohol addiction because of it, then put them into a treatment program and don't bother with the slowly cutting down part. Just cut them off entirely, all at once. Once they are cured, release them.

Repeat if they do it again.

That's not punishment, that's torture. Are you seriously that against alcohol that you'll use it as a torture devise?

Also, are you saying that people can become addicted to alcohol simply by drinking it? Alcohol has no nicotine. You're thinking of cigarettes, try again.

Back