• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Should I play Fair?

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2007

Should I play fairly on the game... I hear its better but i want like all the starters and I can't get them with out cheating.... So what should I do? Please respond... Thanks

Celebi-

Ilex Forest Protector
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2006
    If you car't get them without cheating, then I thinks it's fine, but using a cheat code to get a abra or something is just sad ;_;

Tsugaru

Twilight
    Years
  • I think this should go into simple questions.

But do as you want as it could help you in the long run.So If you gonna have to cheat then cheat,Cheating can sometimes make the games more interesting.

Aqua Dream

That's not Ash!
    Years
  • Ultimately, it is your decision, but in my opinion cheating to obtain starter Pokemon is boderline, but acceptable. I have a minor issue with it because I believe Nintendo made the starter Pokemon unavailable in the wild so that you would be required to trade/breed with friends to obtain them.

On a side note, I belive using cheats to obtain Pokemon that can only be obtained officially by attending a Nintendo-sponsored event (like Mew or Deoxys) is just fine. I'm much too lazy to go to one of those, and they don't have very many of them near where I live anyway.

shirokiryuu

L'Arc Fanatic
    Years
  • I would only cheat for the sake of experimenting with cheats.

But that's just me. I think getting impossible to get otherwise pokemon is relatively okay compared to leveling up your pokemon to lev 100 just because you're too lazy to train them.

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
    Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2021
    I'm okay with cheats. The game's supposed to be enjoyable.
    So, if that increases your gaming pleasure, I'd say go for it!

Years
    • Seen Oct 29, 2007
    IMO don't cheat. it's not good cos it can wreck your game if you put a false code and second its makes the game too easy and less enjoyable. I have never cheated in a pokemon game and never will. :D

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    It is really sad that cheating is becoming so accepted. It is just a videogame. Is it that important that you have to lower yourself to cheating? So you can't start with all three starters or can't complete a Pokedex. Big deal. Again, it is just a computer game.

Instead of spending the money on a cheating device, how about an alternative? Purchase another game and then restart one of them two times, choosing a different starter, and then trade that starter as soon as you can to your other game. Then restart a third, and trade the other two starters back from the other game. Voila. Three starters without cheating. You can also trade over TMs, Master Balls, items, Nuggets, and anything else from one game to the other. Keep restarting one game and keep transferring over the items and you will never run out. Congrats. You just did the same thing as you could do cheating, without cheating.

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2007
    at the moment i am broke due to the fact i dont have my summer job... so right now the cheating is the way to go... but from what i have heard it could mess up your game? how can it mess it up?

Drifblim

Banned
    Years
  • Well, Shane, it happens that many cheating peripherals actually cost less than the game cartridges (usually a difference of $15) and many people just want to get the game over with quick and easy. And it does have a few side effects as well, such as inflated trainer stats. I don't condone cheating, although I admit to doing it myself sometimes.

Dingbat

Cacnea is AWESOME.
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Nov 7, 2023
    Shane, with your first two lines I was with you all the way...then you said that it'd be better to buy a second game.

Buying two games costs an extra £30. Purchase a Link Cable on top of that and that's another £7-8. Compared to £15 for an AR or Exploder, I know which one I'd go with. Games are too expensive to afford buying two copies of what is essentially identical.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    More copouts. You can get used carts now for about $20, or even cheaper on eBay. Where there is a will, there is a way. Hell, my oldest son trades old Yugioh cards for used carts. Resorting to cheating over a silly video game is, well, sad.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • Yeesh- He can trade Yugioh cards for carts? Dang, I wish I could convince someone to do that. But, dear Shane, you forget that some of us have no way to get stuff off of E-Bay. Heck, until I move out of the house, I can't even get my own E-mail address. Additionally, used games can't always be trusted. On the other hand, you are right when you say that cheating to complete a video game is kind of overrated. If you want to fill up the Pokedex and get all three starters, you could always do what Nintendo intended you to do in the first place and trade with a friend...

Shadow Weavile

Roserade 1#
    Years
  • i think u better cant play the game with cheats for rare candy`s or something
    but i think u do cheats for some pkmn u cant caught there thats fine i do it to but dont do for exp.share or rare candy`s thats not fun, the game is more fun if u train your pkmn on your own

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
    Years
  • on emulators, i cheat all the time, but otherwise, i don't. i always find something new when i'm playing my cartridge and am trying to maximize the stats of my pokemon with nutrients. rather cheating to buy them, i just battle trainers who dish off a lot of money with amulet coin. also, cheating to attain pokemon isn't really necessary. the chances are if you're open-minded, than you will definitely find all kinds of good and strong pokemon.

heck, a clefable might not have stats as high as a salamence, but if you train it the right way, it can destroy a salamence.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    on emulators, i cheat all the time, but otherwise, i don't. i always find something new when i'm playing my cartridge and am trying to maximize the stats of my pokemon with nutrients. rather cheating to buy them, i just battle trainers who dish off a lot of money with amulet coin. also, cheating to attain pokemon isn't really necessary. the chances are if you're open-minded, than you will definitely find all kinds of good and strong pokemon.

heck, a clefable might not have stats as high as a salamence, but if you train it the right way, it can destroy an in-game salamence.
    I corrected your sentence for you. My Salamence has Choice Band and Brick Break, which would rip Clefable into tiny little fairy pieces.

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
    Years
  • what if my clefable had quick paw and knew ice beam? that would still leave an opportunity for a whole different scenario. i know quick claw isn't very reliable, but it's done wonders for me in all kinds of battle scenarios.

i agree, 95% of the time, a salamence like yours, and like those of most net battle freaks, will destroy a clefable that way, but i just wanted to point out that this mentality of pokemon use seems so abusive of the nature of the game. which brings us back to the topic: having cheats allows people to set up all kinds of pokemon with certain natures, and with certain items, and moves. i think this is quite unnecessary. it's sucks enough that lapras can learn both thunderbolt and psychic, but with cheats, it's make it even harder to have a creative, yet, effective team assembly for competitive means.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    There are no unobtainable Pokes. I was able to complete my Pokedex without any cheating device or going to a Nintendo Event. All it takes is a little effort, and a good friend. Cheating over a computer game is just sad.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    There are no unobtainable Pokes. I was able to complete my Pokedex without any cheating device or going to a Nintendo Event. All it takes is a little effort, and a good friend. Cheating over a computer game is just sad.

Explain Mew, Celebi, and Deoxys (and maybe even Jirachi if neither of you reserved Colosseum). The only way to get them without cheating IS to go to an event or trade with someone who went to an event, but either way it requires an event.

As for the main topic, if there's nobody else around you to trade with and you REALLY want all the starters, then go for it. I personally am fine for cheating to get things that are unavailable to you, but only if it's the ONLY AVAILABLE OPTION, like for getting Celebi & Deoxys when there are no events anywhere nearby.

Back