• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should I wait?

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2016
    So I'm thinking of getting a 3ds or 2ds with some Pokemon game.

I'm on kind of a pinch for money, so I'd prefer a pre-owned console/cartridge. Should I wait until Pokemon Sun and Moon come out, or just go with X/Y or OR/AS? Also, is it worth getting pre-owned games/consoles?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Without knowing Sun and Moon's post-game activities yet it's hard to say for sure but I would recommend going with OR/AS if you're in a pinch and can only get one game. The first games of a new region don't tend to have too much to do post-game and generally lose their replay value quite quickly, especially when they tend to have somewhat limited Pokémon selections etc as they're showcasing the new region's assets. OR/AS on the other hand feel like much better developed games and have a lot of replay value both in restarting the game, and in completing the 'second' story line of the game whilst exploring the truckload of post-game content on offer. If you're willing to wait then waiting to hear about Sun and Moon's gameplay might be a good idea but for now I'd say OR/AS is the safest bet.

Years
    Angie (Colours) has this covered, if you had to choose one game I'd personally say OR/AS may be better since it adds more features that weren't present in X/Y, plus the postgame is more fleshed out compared to X/Y. It's still fairly shallow but the Delta Episode makes it somewhat decent, along with the sidequest of catching various legendary Pokemon.

X/Y is also a good game with its large amount of Pokemon found in-game, and has trainer customization which isn't present in OR/AS (but will be returning in S/M) so it mainly comes down to which features you want. The story and postgame unfortunately feels very empty so there's a high chance of disappointment.

If customization and Pokemon variety is your preference, pick X/Y. If you're more into catching legendaries and having more postgame, pick OR/AS.

Back