• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should kids be allowed to learn martial arts?

Xertified

Shtposting is my life.
    Years
    Alright there are two options,

1. Parents always care about there child's safety so they let the kids have martial arts.

2. Parents knows that there child are not capable of fighting so no.

Years
    Alright there are two options,

1. Parents always care about there child's safety so they let the kids have martial arts.

2. Parents knows that there child are not capable of fighting so no.

I'm confused by both of those statements. In my experience the parents that don't allow their children to learn Martial Arts are the over-protective ones who will do anything to keep their little darling out of harms way, even in a training environment. As for the second statement, surely if a parent knows their child isn't capable of fighting then there would be less risks for them learning a Martial Art, as they are less likely to use it to start random fights.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I think it's a good way for them to learn how to defend themselves, but it also helps them building up more self-confidence, which is especially important for those that don't have much of it in the first place. Sadly, society becomes more and more demanding of future generations and if you don't have the self-confidence to actually survive in that environment, then good luck.

Years
    A significant problem here might be for the martial arts themselves. In lieu of any particular views of the world, etc., they increasingly are forced into becoming fairly simplistic, immediate and similar modes, essentially just various practice activities coagulated into one 'art,' which of course tends towards sameness. Their 'ethical heart' is increasingly not distinguished significantly from, 'Sit in a corner and be quiet for 10 minutes,' and increasingly passive in response to Western cultures. They are not expected to focus much on explaining things or such with children, and hence have to ultimately leave their motivation and so on aside in favour of apparent results. This can obviously lead in many situations to being primarily a spectacle, or a ceremonial thing, and the eschewing of motivation and the considerations behind whatever's left can lead to a tendency towards merely acting without consideration, or over-extending and acting out despite lack of consideration. This might be part of why such martial arts might have been popular in the West in some ways, despite their cultural origin being significantly different, and why they might still be associated with Western stereotypes of acting 'hard' - often associated with drug culture, xenophobia, etc. - and so on while they would be in nature quite a departure from this.

Of course, the martial arts had a brief time as an instrument of war, etc., and while they are generally significantly watered-down and diluted, this does qualify any absolute identification between them and mere restriction to 'self defence.' As Marx said, a thing is, "an assemblage of many properties, and may therefore be of use in various ways," this also applying in some ways to commodified and dilute 'martial arts.' It might be said that martial arts only retained their integrity in part due to their association with Asian states, and generally speaking being subjected to people-pleasing in principle is likely to lead to dilution of their central themes after this, into something which is in essence non-violent.

Generally, religions such as Christianity have led away from people trying to dissuade personal harm primarily, rather focussing on an overall religious scenario. If martial arts do not generally wish to challenge these beliefs, and indeed they are not generally inclined towards developed theology on the part of practitioners or instructors, they should perhaps keep to their place, whichever place that may happen to be.

Eh, people aren't going to get much emotional gratification out of learning something just because it might, possibly, help them - or end up with them getting beaten up, as after all it does welcome all practitioners who can act likable for a brief time, including people who might cause them problems - at a situation which might, possibly, come up, although of course it might not. Generally speaking, they have to draw on more visible stimuli to convince people that such things are not only distant hypotheticals, but visible 'results,' and hence as you note they might have a tendency towards more underhanded violence and social pressure, along with their mostly pacifistic, conservative nature, although this might further stymie their progression. They very easily slipped into things which, though socially passive, were not merely responsive.

Otherwise they're merely teaching a thing and relying on others to make it at all worthwhile, which seems to also come with tacit support or tolerance of these.

You bring up some good points. First of all one of the issues I've noticed observing the various Martial Arts clubs where I work is they focus almost entirely on forms and sparring, which appeals more to the younger participants. The problem with this approach is they hardly do any body conditioning so they can do the forms and the techniques, but there's no strength or stamina behind it. So in trying to keep the children interested, they are giving them that false sense of security, since in a fight, if your body isn't strong enough, the techniques are worthless.

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
    Years
    I don't see a great threat in children learning martial arts. I remember seeing some of my friends spar at their training Dojo place when we were younger. Admittedly, I found the whole thing to be more of a giggle than anything else. I do recall the rather strong sense of ritual that forms part of it. There was a lot of bowing and displays of respect before and after every round.

If there is a danger of a kid using his or her martial arts skills to harm someone else intentionally, then they would have probably done so without the formal training too. For the most part, I think young ones probably view and participate in martial arts like any other sport.

Years
    The people who talk about kids and teens learning martial arts like they're going to suddenly become kung-fu killing machines like the movies are deluded. Aside from like two lessons when I was six, I have never taken martial arts in my life. I got into a fight with someone who'd been taking karate lessons (or something) for a few years at that point when I was about fourteen and beat the living shit out of him - and I'm a twig.

Martial arts are really just a sport like any other these days. They teach you how to be good at the sport and more importantly they teach you things like discipline, restraint and your own limits. If you take martial arts lessons and then think you can take on the world, you're in for a bad time. That's why they teach you that it's better not to get into fights at all. People who worry about kids learning martial arts need to just chill the hell out.

I 100% support children learning martial arts the same as I 100% support children learning to play football, or basketball, learning to play an instrument or taking up dancing. It's an extracurricular activity, not a military training camp.

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2017
    I have been taking martial arts since freshman year and they have vastly improved my anger issues. Self control and self improvement are the main points of martial arts (assuming an honest dojo/club). I actually wish more people participated.

Back