• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should we change Christmas so it is no longer a Christian holiday?

Zet

Years
    spoiler alert: Jesus was born sometime in Spring, and so Christianity stole December 25th from the pagans because they were jealous or something(not really, just read the above posts to get the true facts about the 25th of December).

Christmas was never really a Christian holiday to begin with, no point in unchristianing something if it was Christian in the first place.

Years
    spoiler alert: Jesus was born sometime in Spring, and so Christianity stole December 25th from the pagans because they were jealous or something(not really, just read the above posts to get the true facts about the 25th of December).

Christmas was never really a Christian holiday to begin with, no point in unchristianing something if it was Christian in the first place.

Zet speaks the truth. It was 'borrowed' by Christianity during the early years of Christianity being a religion. What would be the best way to draw people to your new faith, Christianity? Make it similar to the existing religions of the time.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    It was a pagan holiday, but adopted as a Christian holiday in the 1500's I believe to make it easier for Pagans to convert to Catholicism. Just clarifying.

Actually it was them Romans what with their Empire and whatnot that chose that date for Jesus' birth.

Heck no, if we do that then is isn't the USA anymore.

...cannot comprehend...

Originally, Christmas was a pagan holiday dedicated to the Winter Solstice, and it was the feast day of the Persian God Mithras.

That soldier god and his pagan holidays.

______

I literally don't care. I celebrate most holidays on a wholly secular level - and if some people want the religious overtones there then why should we deny the baby their bottle, as it were?

Years
    Where are you getting this stat? Or you just pulling it out of your ass? Cause last I checked, Europe is still fairly heavily religious, maybe not as much as America, but religious none less.

No, He's right. Go to a church in Europe on a Sunday, and it will be almost empty.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Where are you getting this stat? Or you just pulling it out of your ass? Cause last I checked, Europe is still fairly heavily religious, maybe not as much as America, but religious none less.
    This might not be where Jolene gets her stats from, and I think she was just stating her opinion based on personal observation or somesuch, but...

Wikipedia: Percentage of people who profess belief that a god exists.
    Spoiler:

Wikipedia: Percentage of population who profess adherence to religion.
    Spoiler:

Granted, the polling criteria are different.
    Depends largely what country in Europe you go to, but it is apparently overall only moderately religious whereas the US is... well, almost any given state is more devout than the very country that the Pope himself resides within (Italy), so what does that say...

Last edited:

o0PinkSquid0o

Squidtacular
    Years
    well I'm not going to abuse you like most of the people here have, but i don't think Christmas should change. I'm not religious but I celebrate christmas for teh lulz, I don't care about the meaning, I just like having a special occasion to celebrate with family and friends. I think non-christians are going to celebrate xmas for their own reasons and religious people will celebrate some dudes birth... or death... or... who cares ;) <3

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
    I'm going to create the Cult of the Lollipop. It'll work.
    Dibs on high priestess.

Anyway, when I saw the title of this topic all I could think is "...are you serious? The holiday is meant to celebrate the birth of Christ," until I realized that what it was "meant" to do doesn't really matter anymore, at least not to me. It just feels like the time of year when you should be celebrating positive things, be it the birth of a religious icon or just happiness in general.

So yeah. If Christmas was to be converted to a secular holiday, I would probably be one of the last people to complain. But don't take my opinion seriously, I know zip about religion (including my own).

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Christmas is a huge part of our culture but many people of non-Christian faiths are excluded from it because they do not believe in Jesus. There are so many non-Christian people living here and they must feel really sad when it gets around to Christmas and they aren't allowed to join in the fun. I think that western countries should alter Christmas so that it is no longer a Christian-related holiday, and then everyone can celebrate it! We should call it International Presents Day or Winter Festival

This little misconception irks me every time I see it. Every major world religion as well as several secular historians acknowledge the existence of Jesus of Nazareth. As such, the vast majority of people, Christian or otherwise, will tell you that they believe in Jesus, and that he was one of the most important philosophers in history even if he's not a messiah or anything.

Anyways, Christmas as it presently is in America is so overly commercial that it might as well be separate from any Christian roots, especially because I know of many non-Christians that celebrate the overly commercial variation of the holiday in lieu of foregoing the more somber and spiritual Christian celebration. :/

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
    I'm sorry, but I can't see that.

Christmas is just what it is. Christmas. I don't care where it's being celebrated or who can/can't, it will always be a Christian holiday. That's just the way it is. Even if they did change the holiday, you know what kind of religious wars would be on the horizon? Dang.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    This little misconception irks me every time I see it. Every major world religion as well as several secular historians acknowledge the existence of Jesus of Nazareth. As such, the vast majority of people, Christian or otherwise, will tell you that they believe in Jesus, and that he was one of the most important philosophers in history even if he's not a messiah or anything.

True, even Islam recognizes Jesus as a prophet, though not their messiah.

institutions

ain't that a kick in the head?
    Years
    While I don't agree with your religious/not religious argument, I would love if it was called International Presents Day.

Just because it's called Christmas doesn't mean it has to be a totally Christian holiday. I'm atheist and during Christmas I like to celebrate family togetherness, and more importantly, get presents. Woohoo for free stuff!

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    please children let's not derail the topic into a silly back and forth "who started it" dealio

regardless of the holiday's original roots, it's still a huge part of the christian faith and trying to usurp its relevance to christianity would serve as an unproductive attempt to secularize a holiday. as many have pointed out, it's naturally becoming a secular holiday, people have altered the original meaning of christmas into what suits their beliefs. not only is it pointless to impose a new meaning, it's offensive to the christian culture- and it seems jolene is fighting for the unity of multiple cultures...why try to alter a significant aspect of one culture when it's already naturally spreading to other cultures?

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Alright, lets stop with the insult throwing, and try to stick to the topic please. D;

If you guys wanna keep it going, then at least do it through VMs or PMs.. this thread really isn't the place.

But back on topic, no - I think Christmas should stay as a Christian holiday. At least mainly, I know it's been taken over by the commercial Christmas, and some people (like myself) celebrate the commercial side of it, rather than the religious side of it. Still, that doesn't mean it should be changed in general. Even it's name means 'more Christ', and fully turning it into something else would defeat it's original purpose.. That should never happen, IMO. :/

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I'm tired of all this political corectness.

Christmas is a Christian holiday, and it is staying that way. No one is forcing you to celebrate Christmas; by all means choose to celebrate a different holiday, or no holiday at all, if you wish.

Yes, the Catholic Church did have a practice of replacing pagan holidays with Christian ones in their conversion efforts, but Christians have the right to choose to observe what ever event they see religiously significant on whatever day they wish.

And besides, Christmas has been so commercialized that non-Christian people do often celebrate it anyway. There's no one being left out.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    Well to be honest Christmas has already evolved into pretty much a (inter)national holiday rather than a religious one, but I wouldn't mind the restoration of Yuletide if the Christians got a proper Xmas in the summer (or whenever Jesus was born). It would mean that the Christians get to celebrate the birth of Jesus, while the rest of us get celebrate the passage of winter and the end of the year and give each other presents and stuff.

America is religious? Or, to clarify, America is Christian?

Since when? Well, since what time period after the 1960s?

And Europe...

It's religious. Muslim, Christian, Buddhist, Jewish, etc. But still religious. Don't let the loud minority of anti-religious Atheists (I'm not saying that all Atheists are anti-religious, but some Atheists are more like Anti-theists) make you think that they're the majority of Europeans.
    Orly?

Belief in God(s) or higher powers in Europe:
    Spoiler:

Belief in God(s) or higher powers in North America:
    Spoiler:

So yes, America is FAR more religious than Europe.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    I'm Atheist so I couldn't care less, honestly. If you want to celebrate the birth of Jesus, by all means, do it. I myself consider those holidays as a break around New Year, and I'm happy and the religious neighbours I have are happy as well. Is there any problem with that?

You only have to ignore the religious parts: don't have a nativity scene in your house. Don't get near a church (btw, in Spain, there are no sport events during the Mass hours). Ignore the celebrations related to Jesus. That should be enough.

Tater Tot

I used to be popular here~
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    Non-Christians find a way to celebrate Christmas too, though. When you hear Christmas songs from non-Christians they're always singing about how it's about spending time with family and stuff. I don't think they mind. XD

Ayselipera

I'm dropping in rather late, but regardless a lot of people tend to celebrate Christmas just for fun even if they aren't somewhere under the branch of Catholicism. If not for fun Christmas can also just be a day that teaches the gift of giving. It's really not necessary to take the religious part of Christmas out of Christmas. If anything that would just cause a big uproar from everyone who has been celebrating it for religious reasons.

Zebeedoo

Always remember to smile. ~
    Years
    To be honest, I think anyone and everyone have the choice to celebrate Christmas whether it is a Christian holiday or not. Although it IS a Christian holiday, many non-Christians celebrate it, but it depends on the country. I guess. If you don't want to celebrate Christmas, don't. If you do want to celebreate it, then go ahead. I don't really think it's necessary to change it.

Last edited:
    Back