• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shounen or Shoujo?

Shounen or Shoujo?

• Shounen

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Shoujo

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I just want to know what Anime & Manga readers prefer on here. Shounen or Shoujo? Why is it better in your opinion? Other then that what is your favorite genre?

I prefer Shounen because its Manga & Anime are more interesting to me. (My opinion)

Paper Ghost

[torn to shreds]
    Years
  • I tend to only like shounen for some reason. The only shoujo series I ever liked was Utena and Magical Pokemon Journey. :/

Years
  • I guess I like shounen. Obviously because I'm male and this stuff is targeted at me.

Seinen is superior in my tastes. I like shows that are more psychological or willing to rely solely on humor, satirical or not, rather than fanservice or extreme action.

Shoujo is OK as long as it's Shoujo Ai (Yuri). :3

EmeraldSerenade

babyboy
    Years
  • I use to be really into shounen, but my friend got me reading shoujo, so I prefer shoujo :3

yeah, there's something wrong with me.

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    I perfer Shounen because there is more action opposed to Shoujo and its romance :/.

Taichi

The Keyblader of The Future
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2012
    I read/watch mainly shonen and seinen. Sometimes I watch/read semi-shoujo stuff like Shakugan No Shana (It's for shonen demographic, but you can't honestly tell me that's not shojo with a dash of shonen. lol) or Peach Girl, DNAngel, and obviously Sailor Moon. I read Gravitation until I realized what it was about (thought pink head was a girl.). The only Josei thing I've read is probably Tramps Like Us.

I love me some shonen, but some shojo stuff is good also.

Giraffles <3

podɐʇǝɯ
    Years
  • Mainly shounen, not just because I'm a guy, but because alot of the more popular shoujo like "He's Dedicated to Roses" have the most god awful art style I have ever seen. I like a few shoujo manga's but I mostly enjoy shounen :3.

Years
  • I suppose I prefer shounen because I pick materials that would be considered to be targeting that demographic more often than shoujo. At the end of the day, though, I prefer seinen or josei works over these two because of their, in my opinion, more realistic and powerful emotional content. I was never a big fan of ridiculous and mindless action for the sake of action usually found in shounen or silly melodrama in shoujo (Gurren Lagann and Natsume Yuujinchou are huge exceptions for each of those, however).

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
    Years
  • I used to be a HUGE shoujo fan, although my favorite shoujo series were all mahou shoujo (Tokyo Mew Mew/Mew Mew Power, Sailor Moon, Mermaid Melody, Full Moon o Sagashite, Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, Ojamajo Doremi/Magical Doremi, take your pick).

Now, though, I like shounen a lot more. Not to be sexist or anything, but I find that, despite being called "shounen", there are still plenty of aspects in plenty of series that would attract the female population. It doesn't seem likely that a guy would be interested in shoujo series. Perhaps, if anything, they'd get into mahou shoujo (I know a lot of guys who like Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha, if that says anything) because of the violence and (perhaps) hot female characters.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • This is a tough decision, as I have several favourite anime series which are shoujo(Sailor Moon, Mermaid Melody, Shugo Chara, PreCure), and several which are shounen(One Piece, Full Metal Alchemist, Bleach, Code Geass). I'd like to say I like them equally, though methinks that shoujo won out long ago. The characters there tend to have more...well, character. XD

And I do like the romance, which is probably why I like so many shoujo series. =P

Last edited:

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2018
    Shounen is definitely more enjoyable to watch according to my tastes, but sadly, some of them tend to drag on way too long. That's why I tend to watch Seinen.

Some Shoujo I can stand like Rozen Maiden (I think) and Cardcaptor Sakura.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • I dunno if I've ever even watched a shoujo... although I'm not positive I understand the definitions... almost all of the anime I watch are romance, but they're definitely targeting males. So, I dunno which they really are.

Taichi

The Keyblader of The Future
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2012
    I dunno if I've ever even watched a shoujo... although I'm not positive I understand the definitions... almost all of the anime I watch are romance, but they're definitely targeting males. So, I dunno which they really are.

If you've seen Sailor Moon, you've watched Shojo.

Years
  • I tend to pick my series based on who the creator is, what the art is like, how good the plot is, etc. so I've got both shoujo and shonen series I like, though I prefer manga that's targeted toward an older audience.

If I had to choose then I'd probably pick shoujo since it has more staying power in my experience. The shonen I've read tends to loose its plot if it goes on for too long.

Back