• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sick of Ash?

Should they...?

• Make Ash a less central character in the anime

Votes: 141 29.1%
  • Make a new anime series altogether

Votes: 186 38.4%
  • Keep it the same

Votes: 157 32.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2009
    I may not be the only one. But I've been waiting for Brendan to appear ever since Jirachi Wishmaker.

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    I want them to let Ash win the Sinnoh league and then finish his storyline, and follow someone else and maybe bring Ash back now and again, for battles or something.

Gars129

Is now focused on other things
    Years
    I wish some guy or girl appeared who was his or her number one fan, then Paul gave him or her a reality check that Ash is not as good as he or she thought. Then Paul shows them to fight really well with complex strategies and 3-0 Ash.

Thank god they didnt give Brock a starter in DP. Look at how Mudkip was incredibly ignored in favor of Ash and May's pokemon. I mean, when was the last time we've seen Sudowoodo or Happini in anything other than some random time when all the Pokemon went out. And why did they have to make Dawn so much like May. Seriously, they should have gone to Johto with May instead.It was gonna be the same and the pkmn company didnt have to waste so much time and money recicling.

Oh yeah, and bring Misty back instead of making recycled characters and take Brock out at least for a bit cause he makes the anime look even more like Johto/Hoenn and put a character that actually does something aside cook and flirt with every single woman.

Team Rocket's should appear less and they should finally steal pikachu and make him evil. They should eliminate all those filler episodes in which:

1.Ash and co. are tired and/or looking forward to the next gym or contest.
    2. They stumble upon the pokemon of the day.
    3.They meet the owner who does some random thing with the pokemon(ex. Ranching, Breeding, nursing, etc.) and/or has a problem with pokemon (won't listen, is angry at trainer).
    4.Sometimes, the owner gives them food and bed. They all start talking about their goals and dreams, like always, they agree to help their owner in whatever they need.
    5.Team Rocket wants the characters of the day's pokemon (even if it sucks real bad), and imagine the boss using it for some stupidity.
    6. Ash or Dawn and the COTD have a battle or start helping them with whatever problem they have.
    7.TR interrupts right in the middle of whatever they were doing (or at night) and steals the pokemon and sometimes one of ash or dawn's pokemon.
    8.The pokemon shows its true potential while rescuing itself or the others. TR blasts of again, and again, and again...
    9. The characters continue their battle if there was one.
    10.The characters go their separate ways, hoping they will meet again, which, most of the time, does not happen.

Oh yeah, and episodes like the one in which Zoey broke her legs and spent nearly the entire episode (when TR wasn't stealing) telling Dawn how to battle in contests. They should do a LOT more character development, instead of adding ones with no purpose to the series.

PS: James is a MORON for giving his Cancnea to Gardenia. How could he fell to the fact taht Gardwenia just wanted it for her. I can see it now. Gardenia using Cacturne as her signature pokemon, who will probably suffer the same fate as Chimecho.

Last edited:

Unown_

Sep.2003 - Mar.2010. Resigned
    Years
    The way I see things, it's not that Ash is causing the anime the be repetitive, but it's the lack of a plot that makes Ash rather repetitive.
    A lot of people say that Jimmy/Kenta from the Raikou Special should become the main character, but what make that special so great was that it actually had
    • an actual plot
    • real villians, that aren't easy to beat.
    If the show only changes the cast I'm sure in about a year or two a thread here will be made which will have the title "sick of Jimmy/Brendan/Lucas/<insert male protagonist from game>".

Current, with Diamond & Pearl I'd say that the writers do a decent job compaired to Johto or AG. The way they handle Dawn/Hikari, Paul/Shinji, Pokemon Hunter J and Team Galactic is much better.

My little brother doesn't really watch Pokémon. He only watches a few episodes once a while. Usually his impression is "so-so".
    When I was watching the subbed version part 1 of the Riolu two-parter my brother was watching with me. Comming from someone who isn't into Pokémon, his first impression was: "where's part 2?".

Spoiler:

There is still plenty of room for improvement. Most important there has to be an plot. Because a goal like "to be come the world greatest Pokemon master", I think we can all agree that it is too vague. Is Ash/Satoshi halfway there?
    Hosou specials was a nice change although they lost a lot of the "special" part halfway through. Imo the writers could make a mini-side-series of let's say 12 episodes which can have a different cast which is plot based instead of a badge quest, just for the sake of seeing how good it will fare.

Years
    Tsk....

@Gars129: Eh that's the anime in a nutshell. Almost 90% of episodes are a variation of those points. =/ With the occasional burst of creativity now and then (That Ranger B Special looks enticing =D)

Hosou specials was a nice change although they lost a lot of the "special" part halfway through. Imo the writers could make a mini-side-series of let's say 12 episodes which can have a different cast which is plot based instead of a badge quest, just for the sake of seeing how good it will fare.

I Can agree with your point that it isn't Satoshi's fault that he can't multiply 10(10). Seriously the writers minds have been milked to the point that....well you know...Eh that's what I propose, a seperate series to test the winds at least. =/ But I highly doubt that the execs and writers visit English Pokemon Forums and read fanfics to get new ideas on improving their series' image to fans. D=<

Last edited:

Unown_

Sep.2003 - Mar.2010. Resigned
    Years
    No need for the writers to go so far from home, they could just go to the local bookstore and buy some Pokemon manga's. ^_^

Years
    =P

No need for the writers to go so far from home, they could just go to the local bookstore and buy some Pokemon manga's. ^_^

I agree but if the writers would base it off a PKMN manga it would probably be off the one with "Pippi and Slapstick" that sells so well in Japan as we have seen in that AG episode. =/

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
    I'm limited on my time so I can't type much (which I would love to do =( ). I have one thing to say, it's to say that I was actually embarrased when I first watched DP series. I thought that when they made a sequel to Coliseum (Which is XD), that it would make a great anime. And yes, villians with a semi-realistic goal who are actually difficult to defeat. I voted for the whole 'new anime' idea on the poll.

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2009
    The Japanese get much more Pokemon goodies than we do in the states or in Europe. I'm pretty sure that Japanese fans are asking the same things we are in their blogs. I was also glad that Brock didn't get a D/P starter. Mudkip hardly ever did anything, should have been a Marshtomp much sooner.

Apparently, the game heroes have the final evolved forms of their starters.
    Jimmy has Typhlosion
    Brendan has Swampert
    I'm guessing Lucas has Torterra considering the appearance of Magmortar rules out Infernape and that Jun has an Empoleon while Dawn has a Piplup.

Graceful

あぁ、たいさ!♥
    Years
    I think the side-characters(go down) should come in more and maybe Ash could be equal to Brock,Misty,Tracey,Max,May and Dawn if you know what I mean!
    Side-characters that should come back: Delia(Ash mother)/ Prof. Oak/Misty/Tracey/Kenny and Richie.
    These have just been put aside!

wee187

Beat 358/2 Days on 10/5/09
    Years
    Ehh, I say keep it the same, at least for a while longer. But he should never go completely. He's amazing, but I wouldn't mind him taking a position of Brock or May/Max/Misty/Dawn, and focus on another character as a 'main' character.

Still, overall, things are fine the way they are.

ShadowDeeps

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2021
    No, I'm not quite "sick of the show revolving around Ash Ketchum". I can't say I'm sick of Ash. Unlike Brock, he's evolved and matured prodigiously. And, for that matter, I think his somewhat dense and more naive personality (which was more uncertain and naive than mistaking in my eyes) worked well in relation to growing into his more mature, reserved, less impetuous persona we see later on. I'd only say that it was Misty and Brock's constant presence that deterred Ash from growing as much as he could have earlier on (and in Brock's case, still to this day in a way). And while I like Pikachu and Ash's bond, I think Pikachu is becoming a tad too much of a puppet rather than a Pokémon at this point.

The change I want to see is less gym battles and Pokémon leagues and more something... new and refreshening. Another course to stay. I think Ash could be doing something else by this point, and I think the anime itself just needs one clean departure from the same road (maybe something nigher to the Chronicle episodes, or at least something that would break away from the current refrain). Oh, and on the matter of becoming a Pokémon master? I'm satisfied that becoming one has been such a prolonged matter. It makes it of merit that much more and it makes it that much more mysterious the notion, and that's the way I like it.

I also like the aura story facet to Ash... I don't see it as corny superpower but more a new, more sensitive, deeper, and more intuitive course for the character. If there's anyone who should part away from the series at this point it's Brock. Instead of tenaciously chasing girls and explaining Ash's actions he should be pursuing and fulfilling his own goals of becoming a Pokémon breeder. I want the calm character we had in the inception of the series if Brock's going to stick around. If Brock chose to peer at pursuing more internal and less "I want so many woman" goals then I'd think a lot more prospect would come into fruition for him. But that's for another thread and that is my sentiment.

More on-topic, I'm more sick of gym battles than I am of Ash. So while I wouldn't mind a *new* series at all, with the current one I want Ash doing something different in his tenure.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    No, I'm not quite "sick of the show revolving around Ash Ketchum". I can't say I'm sick of Ash. Unlike Brock, he's evolved and matured prodigiously. And, for that matter, I think his somewhat dense and more naive personality (which was more uncertain and naive than mistaking in my eyes) worked well in relation to growing into his more mature, reserved, less impetuous persona we see later on. I'd only say that it was Misty and Brock's constant presence that deterred Ash from growing as much as he could have earlier on (and in Brock's case, still to this day in a way). And while I like Pikachu and Ash's bond, I think Pikachu is becoming a tad too much of a puppet rather than a Pokémon at this point.

Err... Yeah, about that, I don't think he even became more mature and evolved (I mean, if he did, then why does he always seem to fail to see through JJM's disguises despite most of them now being so blaringly obvious that even a two year old can see through them?! I mean, actually, he is actually de-evolving in that respect [at least when he was fooled in Kanto, he [at least initially] sounded suspicious and unsure of JJM's disguised selves. Now, he seems to not even give any thought as to whether Team Rocket is behind it, even when it's completely obvious that it's them.].)

The change I want to see is less gym battles and Pokémon leagues and more something... new and refreshening. Another course to stay. I think Ash could be doing something else by this point, and I think the anime itself just needs one clean departure from the same road (maybe something nigher to the Chronicle episodes, or at least something that would break away from the current refrain). Oh, and on the matter of becoming a Pokémon master? I'm satisfied that becoming one has been such a prolonged matter. It makes it of merit that much more and it makes it that much more mysterious the notion, and that's the way I like it.

Maybe, but couldn't they at least give some more hints as to what exactly a Pokemon Master does? I mean, if you give someone a goal, and it's not even clear on anything other than what the goal is called, and they don't even follow up on said goal, it would probably cause loss of fans and viewers, as they need some explainations to several things (one key element of whether writing in a movie is considered good writing or not is whether they make the goal clear enough for them to keep trying to watch, so if it's completely vague in every single thing besides the name, it's almost a pointless ordeal.).

I agree with you in regards to Gyms, though. I mean, technically, its repetitive, among other things (not that I hate repetitiveness, but I'm probably alone for liking it.). Also, I also wish that they at least try and make Gym Leaders have more of a better reputation than, you know, just people of JJM skillset (ie, they are weak enough to be walked over by rookies). I mean, if they wanted to be showcased as experts, why not try to make them nearly unbeatable?

I also like the aura story facet to Ash... I don't see it as corny superpower but more a new, more sensitive, deeper, and more intuitive course for the character. If there's anyone who should part away from the series at this point it's Brock. Instead of tenaciously chasing girls and explaining Ash's actions he should be pursuing and fulfilling his own goals of becoming a Pokémon breeder. I want the calm character we had in the inception of the series if Brock's going to stick around. If Brock chose to peer at pursuing more internal and less "I want so many woman" goals then I'd think a lot more prospect would come into fruition for him. But that's for another thread and that is my sentiment.

I agree, I mean, breeders, you know, breed, and well, he didn't even try and breed, period.

More on-topic, I'm more sick of gym battles than I am of Ash. So while I wouldn't mind a *new* series at all, with the current one I want Ash doing something different in his tenure.

Meh, I'm also sick of them as well. I mean, if the gym leaders were true experts, why would they be portrayed as people who were just pushovers like JJM?

ShadowDeeps

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2021
    weedle_mchairybug said:
    Err... Yeah, about that, I don't think he even became more mature and evolved (I mean, if he did, then why does he always seem to fail to see through JJM's disguises despite most of them now being so blaringly obvious that even a two year old can see through them?! I mean, actually, he is actually de-evolving in that respect [at least when he was fooled in Kanto, he [at least initially] sounded suspicious and unsure of JJM's disguised selves. Now, he seems to not even give any thought as to whether Team Rocket is behind it, even when it's completely obvious that it's them.].)
    I don't think Jessie, James, and Meowth count in regards to that. Take May - she's progressed immensely since her advent in the series and yet she's duped into the same things Ash and other company are, with but a thought. The characters are purposely lesser than they should be in that way to give Jessie, James, and Meowth room enough to do... what they always do at their leisure or not at their leisure. It may not cohere but it's what the writers want. It's pretty whimiscal by nature but it's the joist the show has followed since.... the second, if not third episode. Or fourth. Yet I don't see that as a reflection of how the characters have changed.

By "became more mature and evolved", I meant that Ash is no longer the largely brash, introverted (by "introverted" I mean amply self-interested), impulsive, and very naive character he was in the first and second season. In that way he has matured and evolved into a more accepting and reserved person (as I would expect him to).

weedle_mchairybug said:
    Maybe, but couldn't they at least give some more hints as to what exactly a Pokemon Master does? I mean, if you give someone a goal, and it's not even clear on anything other than what the goal is called, and they don't even follow up on said goal, it would probably cause loss of fans and viewers, as they need some explainations to several things (one key element of whether writing in a movie is considered good writing or not is whether they make the goal clear enough for them to keep trying to watch, so if it's completely vague in every single thing besides the name, it's almost a pointless ordeal.).
    I can relate to that altercation. But there are times where I like that the direction isn't given as much definition and specification as it could. Accentuation on what you don't see rather than what you do. That adds more of an imposing and fearful tone to the show to me (for I would say mystery commands fear). Though, things like a Pokémon master, Ho-Oh, Ash's father... these things are rather strung tight in the amount of information delivered. In a way I can appreciate that - I wouldn't want to be disappointed by knowing the story behind those things and getting less than expected (but then again I've been disappointed many times on that aspect with the series). I only want to know so much about a character and that character's relations and background as anything copious can lower the impact. But that's just me.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I don't think Jessie, James, and Meowth count in regards to that. Take May - she's progressed immensely since her advent in the series and yet she's duped into the same things Ash and other company are, with but a thought. The characters are purposely lesser than they should be in that way to give Jessie, James, and Meowth room enough to do... what they always do at their leisure or not at their leisure. It may not cohere but it's what the writers want. It's pretty whimiscal by nature but it's the joist the show has followed since.... the second, if not third episode. Or fourth. Yet I don't see that as a reflection of how the characters have changed.

There are ways for JJM to ambush the Trainers without using disguises. I mean, they were relatively skilled in digging bear/tiger traps. I mean, they could have tried to use a net or entrapment device to capture them (plus, it can be disguised so that even the most observant viewer will be caught in surprise). That way, they can have Team Rocket ambush the Protagonists [thus give them something to do], and yet also have Ash and co. keep their wits in the process, since at least there, they have a legit reason for being sneak attacked/tricked.

By "became more mature and evolved", I meant that Ash is no longer the largely brash, introverted (by "introverted" I mean amply self-interested), impulsive, and very naive character he was in the first and second season. In that way he has matured and evolved into a more accepting and reserved person (as I would expect him to).

You know, Ash was still somewhat impulsive [he takes rather dangerous risks to save/stop something in a manner that even action stars would doubt doing. I mean, I know he likes to help, but can't he try to assess the situation?]. Plus, didn't he chase and shout at Aipom when she took Ash's hat for the second time, even though he didn't exactly mind her doing it in her capture episode? I also heard in a movie thread that Ash threw a fit when he didn't get the chance to restore the Oraceon device in the Tower of Time and Space.

I can relate to that altercation. But there are times where I like that the direction isn't given as much definition and specification as it could. Accentuation on what you don't see rather than what you do. That adds more of an imposing and fearful tone to the show to me (for I would say mystery commands fear).

I can see a bit of your point, but if they don't try to explain some things, we have things call errors and plotholes [which is one reason why we have some things like "Misty appeared with no hint whatsoever in the Togepi Arc", "Misty leaving was random", "Psyduck's capture was random", and the complaints of the Kyogre/Groudon Arc [as they have a lot of holes in it.]

Though, things like a Pokémon master, Ho-Oh, Ash's father... these things are rather strung tight in the amount of information delivered. In a way I can appreciate that - I wouldn't want to be disappointed by knowing the story behind those things and getting less than expected (but then again I've been disappointed many times on that aspect with the series). I only want to know so much about a character and that character's relations and background as anything copious can lower the impact. But that's just me.

I'm not saying we should "blab and explain everything a Pokemon Master is", I'm just saying give a bit more hints on what it's like, not too much, just a few hints.

ShadowDeeps

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2021
    weedle_mchairybug said:
    You know, Ash was still somewhat impulsive [he takes rather dangerous risks to save/stop something in a manner that even action stars would doubt doing. I mean, I know he likes to help, but can't he try to assess the situation?]. Plus, didn't he chase and shout at Aipom when she took Ash's hat for the second time, even though he didn't exactly mind her doing it in her capture episode? I also heard in a movie thread that Ash threw a fit when he didn't get the chance to restore the Oraceon device in the Tower of Time and Space.
    He's still impulsive and audacious to a degree. Everyone has their impulsive moments. Driven by chemical reactions, maybe (but then one could say all chemical reactions are a tad inane). It's that quirk of intuition and that quirk of what's to happen that allows Ash to move away from or move against what is perceived to be dangerous (which I suppose could be said for us all), as well as his Pokémon (though Pikachu tends to get that limelight). Heck, if Ash wasn't impulsive at all, he wouldn't be... Ash. But the impulsive moments are much more a window than they used to be for him.

weedle_mchairybug said:
    I can see a bit of your point, but if they don't try to explain some things, we have things call errors and plotholes [which is one reason why we have some things like "Misty appeared with no hint whatsoever in the Togepi Arc", "Misty leaving was random", "Psyduck's capture was random", and the complaints of the Kyogre/Groudon Arc [as they have a lot of holes in it.]
    And things like the GS Ball.... plotholes and errors can arise from that but they also can be misconstrued as such. The Pokémon anime doesn't quite rely upon story elements to work but rather since the games are RPGs the anime sort of follows the same format. Because of that, through my opinion the plotholes can be interpreted as something other than plotholes (especially when it comes to what's unsaid), but there are some pretty jarring discrepancies in the series (that will hopefully be tied up by or at the end).

Last edited:

wee187

Beat 358/2 Days on 10/5/09
    Years
    I think Ash should try to do both gyms and contests as well... or maybe something new that they'd come up with. He won't stop gym battles cuz that's the goal of the games, and that won't change anytime soon.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back