• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    Hey everyone
    I was just wondering, what's wrong with Milotic. I go on Serebii a lot and it brings up the terms "Bulky Water Pokemon" a lot but when they do it's always Swampert, Suicune, and Slowbro. If they mention Milotic, it's always "and to a lesser extent, Milotic". And to top it off, Milotic dwells in the borderline tier.
    I need a special wall on my team, and I don't like Blissey or Snorlax because they're too easy to KO (come on, say what you want but physical fighting attacks like close combat are just too rampant) so I decided to go with milotic. The thing has 125 base Special attack managable 95 base hp, decent base 79 defense backed up by Marvle scale activated when Milotic is hit with a status attack. It also has only 2 weaknesses which only comes with one consistant counter (Electivire), a reliable recovery move (with 10 PP), access to hypnosis and a good movepool backed by a 100 base special attack. Frankly, I don't see why Milotic isn't OU and why it's regarded as worse than Swampert and Slowbro.

First, this is the wrong section, this should be in the strategies and movesets. And secondly, BL mean border-line, which means that it is the same/better/just as good as many OU Pokemon but it isn't used as much. That is why BL is known as the 'fake' tier.

devilicious

dream
    Years
    Would Cacturne/Shifrty work? They both are able to beat water types w/Ice moves (starmie), and Psychic types. If so, which one should I use, and who should I replace. And do you think that the team has the capability to take on an OU team?

First of all, I'll start with your last question.
    Yes. Any [constructed] team can beat any other team, if it's in the hands of an experienced player. In the end, it all comes down to the players. However, I wouldn't count on it too much. If you want to play against OU teams, use an OU team.

Now, both Cacturne and Shiftry are good sweepers- I prefer Cacturne to go physical, and Shiftry to go special. I have used both and can tell you they work great if played right. [But remember, if you're going to play UU, you're not really going to meet Starmie anytime soon.]

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    First of all, I'll start with your last question.
    Yes. Any [constructed] team can beat any other team, if it's in the hands of an experienced player. In the end, it all comes down to the players. However, I wouldn't count on it too much. If you want to play against OU teams, use an OU team.

Now, both Cacturne and Shiftry are good sweepers- I prefer Cacturne to go physical, and Shiftry to go special. I have used both and can tell you they work great if played right. [But remember, if you're going to play UU, you're not really going to meet Starmie anytime soon.]

This is my second team, so I'm far from experienced...
    I think that I should probably go physical, but I like Shiftry as the Pokemon better. And which pokemon should I replace for Shifty/Cacturne?

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    It's not that Milotic is bad at what it does it's just that other Pkmn do the job better.

That's the main reason. Suicune in particular completely outclasses it.

And is quite hard to get.

No it isnt, wifi means it is extremely easy to get hold of either an already EVed milotic or one to breed from. Rarity is never a factor in determining competetive tiers.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
    That's the main reason. Suicune in particular completely outclasses it.

No it isnt, wifi means it is extremely easy to get hold of either an already EVed milotic or one to breed from. Rarity is never a factor in determining competetive tiers.

No, in getting it yourself, to max out a Feebas beauty is quite hard.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I think that this post got lost and overlooked with the merged thread, but:
    Would Cacturne/Shifrty work? They both are able to beat water types w/Ice moves (starmie), and Psychic types. If so, which one should I use, and who should I replace. And do you think that the team has the capability to take on an OU team?
    (this conversation was with Deviruchi)

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
    What. No it isn't. Just abuse the Beauty Poffins.
    It's actually ridiculously easy.

To make it more accurate, you'd have to abuse Pamtre Berries to make Berries suitable for a suitable Feebas. I did it for my Vaporeon, since I sent her through the Beauty Contests. But so long as you've access to the Berries required, and are decent at making Poffins, its pretty easy to get a Milotic. Not ridiculously, though. I'd say an average on ease.

Super Puppy

The Jar of Almonds
    Years
    I wouldn't suggest going with Milotic (or other Waters) as a Special Wall; as Thunderbolt is one of the most common special moves out there and nearly every competitive team has a Pokemon with it. That's actually quite unfortunate, as there are many Water-rypes with fantastic SDef.

devilicious

dream
    Years
    I wouldn't suggest going with Milotic (or other Waters) as a Special Wall; as Thunderbolt is one of the most common special moves out there and nearly every competitive team has a Pokemon with it. That's actually quite unfortunate, as there are many Water-rypes with fantastic SDef.

Just run Mirror Coat. Hah.
    Wacan + Mirror Coat Mantine is pure love. ♥

Years
    The only thing better is surviving a Calm Mind Blissey's T-Bolt (at a crit) and Mirror Coating it to death.

Hax be praised.

I got this Riolu

Adamant
    Steadfast
    ATK: 25
    Speed: 27
    Sp.Def:30 (WTF)

Wonderful, right?

Yucky.
    Aim for 30-31 in Attack and Speed.

A 31 IV in speed keeps you above Timid Heatran...

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    Well of course I'd aim for that, it's whether I get it or not. I can't be too picky now, I only have a small amount of time to battle.

Regardless, I'll rebreed, but if I don't get anything better soon, I'll use that. Attack doesn't have to be max, at most, it only results in a 3-4 point different in damage. As for speed, that is also pretty iffy. It does have a priority move to make up for it, and I already have three Heatran counters.

Two if it has HP Electric for whatever reason.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    Then Tangrowth can handle it.

As long as it doesn't have Blaze Kick :P

I'll rebreed, but I feel absolute max attack isn't a necessity. I'll try for speed, but as I said, I can't afford to waste my entire wifi summer on it--I only have 3 weeks of battling. My summers are short :(

However, I do think I need speed. I try harder for it.

The Hero Without a Name

Da bee dee da ba mouse...
    Years
    I was talking to someone about this on Smogon. Where there is a tie for two or more IVs, the characteristic is completely random. This becomes a pain when you are breeding a wall, usually with at least 3 flawless IVs.
    Holy crap... I was considering raising a Togekiss with a Timid/Modest nature and 31 SPATK and SPD IV's. But getting THAT, along with Serene Grace, is really gonna make me rip my hair out.

It almost seems bad enough trying to get that Buneary with perfect ATK/SPD IV's and passing them on to a Sneasel.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back