• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Hey everyone, I was wanting to get some suggestions on my last two moves for my Charizard. It is Timid, with the EV spread in SP. Attack and Speed. I already have Flamethrower and Air Slash as main stab moves. I was thinking Roost and Dragon Pulse as my last two, but I am no expert.

Charizard isn't that great with Roost because it lacks the bulk to use it effectively. I reccomend using Hidden Power Ground and then either keep Dragon Pulse in the last slot or use Solarbeam with Drought Support.

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2015
    hey i'm trying to run an ampharos set as its one of my favourite pokemon.
    i want it to be bulky with the help of cotton guard, one of my favourite moves
    how does this sound...?
    Ampharos with leftovers
    Calm Nature (+ Special Defence, - Attack)
    252 HP, 252 Special Defence, 4 Special Attack
    Cotton Guard
    Charge Beam
    Rest/Substitute
    *One More*

Cotton Guard to raise defences, charge beam to raise special attack whilst attacking, rest or substitute to help toxic/burn or to not get toxiced/burned and i need one more attacking move
    I need help on whether to use Rest or substitute and the other attacking move (it can't be a hidden power as it takes too long to get it sorted out

Years
  • hey i'm trying to run an ampharos set as its one of my favourite pokemon.
    i want it to be bulky with the help of cotton guard, one of my favourite moves
    how does this sound...?
    Ampharos with leftovers
    Calm Nature (+ Special Defence, - Attack)
    252 HP, 252 Special Defence, 4 Special Attack
    Cotton Guard
    Charge Beam
    Rest/Substitute
    *One More*

Cotton Guard to raise defences, charge beam to raise special attack whilst attacking, rest or substitute to help toxic/burn or to not get toxiced/burned and i need one more attacking move
    I need help on whether to use Rest or substitute and the other attacking move (it can't be a hidden power as it takes too long to get it sorted out

Honestly, Ampharos isn't that good and probably never will be. While the concept of winning with your favorites seems like a good idea, it's easier said than done. That being said, if you still want to use Ampharos, use Focus Blast in the final slot.

AquaticWartortle

Teh Best Wartortle
    Years
  • Some Movesets I've made

I felt like sharing some movesets I teach my Pokemon which could be helpful for your team if you are trying to build one! Enjoy & please rate these movesets in the poll! ;)

Moveset 1: Blastoise (Single Battle)

Moves:
    Surf
    Blizzard or Ice beam
    Earthquake
    Hydro Cannon

Moveset 2: Blastoise (Double Battle)

Moves:
    Surf - Muddy Water
    Blizzard or Ice beam
    Earthquake or Dig
    Hydro Cannon

Please rate these movesets & more movesets are coming soon! :)

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Hydro Cannon is generally considered a poor move choice. Why? Well, over two consecutive turns, you actually lose out on power. IIRC, Hydro Cannon has 150 BP and Surf has 95. Therefore:

Surf: 95bp + 95bp = 190bp
    Hydro Cannon: 150bp + 0bp = 150bp

Hydro Cannon seems like a super powerful move, but overall it's not nearly as good as a move like Surf. Blastoise, however, shouldn't be the one using offensive moves like that in the first place.

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
  • Don't forget the essentially doubled chance of landing a critical hit (or side effect in the even that Scald is chosen over Surf). Idk what else to say, so I'll leave it at that. I guess this goes for all moves that have those charging turns.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Anyone have a good moveset for a Gastrodon trained in Hp and Atk? I've given it Waterfall, Body Slam, Rain Dance and Earthquake so far... But Body Slam and Rain Dance seem to be wasted. Any other ideas?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Anyone have a good moveset for a Gastrodon trained in Hp and Atk? I've given it Waterfall, Body Slam, Rain Dance and Earthquake so far... But Body Slam and Rain Dance seem to be wasted. Any other ideas?
    Have you tried a Curse Gastrodon? You have to breed for Curse, but it's pretty much Gastrodon's only viable physical set. :
    -Curse
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge/Waterfall
    -Recover
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef (you don't need to EV train in Attack because Curse will boost it for you)
    Item: Leftovers

Rider542

Master of the... Magikarp?
    Years
  • Hmm, someone help me improve my ghastly (will become a gengar) moveset:
    Quirky nature,
    Ability: levitate
    -hypnosis
    -dream eater
    -thunderbolt
    -right now i have mean look
    I'm looking to replace mean look with something else, maybe ice beam or shadow ball? or calm mind, maybe. Any suggestions, or improvements you could make to the other moves?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Hmm, someone help me improve my ghastly (will become a gengar) moveset:
    Quirky nature,
    Ability: levitate
    -hypnosis
    -dream eater
    -thunderbolt
    -right now i have mean look
    I'm looking to replace mean look with something else, maybe ice beam or shadow ball? or calm mind, maybe. Any suggestions, or improvements you could make to the other moves?
    Gengar can't learn Ice Beam or Calm Mind. It also can't afford the low accuracy of Hypnosis and Dream Eater is unreliable. It really needs a STAB move (Shadow Ball). This is the Gengar set that almost everyone uses:
    -Substitute
    -Disable/Pain Split
    -Shadow Ball
    -Focus Blast
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/Life Orb

Shadow Ball and Focus Blast provide perfect coverage together. Substitute is there to protect Gengar from statuses and Pursuit and gives Gengar an easier time to use Disable or Pain Split. Thanks to Disable's upgrade to 100% accuracy, Gengar can use it to great effect with Substitute and against Pokemon who only have 1 move to deal with it (like Conkeldurr). Pain Split also works well with Substitute. With it, Gengar can beat Blissey 1-on-1 by blocking paralysis from Thunder Wave and to get it down to Focus Blast's 2HKO range.

Rider542

Years
  • i like the hypnosis/ dream eater combo, it cripples and does pretty good damage.
    i have actually never actually used substitute in my team, and im not clear on the concept. i dont like that it cuts the hp though. maybe could you explain it a little more for me?
    on a different note, i think i will go for shadow ball.
    maybe i will replace my hypnosis/ dream eater combo for focus blast, because it does more damage and its accuracy is a bit higher. so right now i have:
    -focus blast
    -shadow ball
    Im not sure about substitute, pain split, or disable.
    thanks for the input, i am new to this stuff. if you could explain some stuff a little more, that would be awesome :)
    btw, blissey, really? i have never seen anyone use a blissey before. should i look out for one?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • i like the hypnosis/ dream eater combo, it cripples and does pretty good damage.
    i have actually never actually used substitute in my team, and im not clear on the concept. i dont like that it cuts the hp though. maybe could you explain it a little more for me?
    on a different note, i think i will go for shadow ball.
    maybe i will replace my hypnosis/ dream eater combo for focus blast, because it does more damage and its accuracy is a bit higher. so right now i have:
    -focus blast
    -shadow ball
    Im not sure about substitute, pain split, or disable.
    thanks for the input, i am new to this stuff. if you could explain some stuff a little more, that would be awesome :)
    btw, blissey, really? i have never seen anyone use a blissey before. should i look out for one?
    For the general concept of Substitute: Gengar can come in on something it can force out (like a wall that can't do much to it such as Blissey) and set up a Substitute as it switches or tries to status Gengar. When a Substitute is up, Gengar is protected from status problems and attempts to use Pursuit, or Dragon Tail on it. Though the HP loss is problematic, it can be mitigated by the use of Leftovers (which restores a little HP a turn) or Pain Split (though it's a bit unreliable, the fast depleting of HP through Substitute and Life Orb, which boosts the power of Gengar's moves at a cost of some HP, will cause Gengar to restore a lot of health when it's up against a healthy opponent).

For Sub/Disable: Gengar can come in on a Pokemon that has only 1 move that can hit it and use Substitute. When the opponent breaks the Sub with said move, Gengar can use Disable to disable the move for several turns. Because the opponent mag be hard pressed to hit Gengar in this way, they may be forced to switch, giving Gengar a free turn to set up another Substitute or hit the switch in with Shadow Ball or Focus Blast. The HP lost through making Substitute can be mitigated through Leftovers.

For Sub/Pain Split: See first sentence of Sub/Disable. However, Pain Split works well with Life Orb and against high HP opponents (Snorlax, Chansey, Blissey, Vaporeon). The combination of said item will cause Gengar's HP to go to a dangerously low level and then it can use Pain Split against the opponent to restore a lot of HP. In case you didn't know, Pain Split averages the current HP of the user and the opponent.

Blissey is a rather uncommon sight in OU; it walls most special attackers.

Rider542

Years
  • ok i think youve convinced me. i think ill go w/ disable, substitute and leftovers. along with shadow ball and focus blast. thanks for the help :)
    im ev taining my ghastly for special at. and speed :)

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    i like the hypnosis/ dream eater combo, it cripples and does pretty good damage.

If I may offer some words on this... Hypnosis and Dream Eater, while they seem really good and effective, actually aren't at all. The reason here is that your opponent simply isn't as dumb as the in-game AI; they know very well that once your Pokemon is asleep, they can just switch out and then your Dream Eater move will fail and you can't sleep anything else because of Sleep Clause. Dream Eater is a move that only works when you're facing a sleeping Pokemon, meaning that the vast majority of the time it won't be working, meaning you're also wasting a moveslot because the move you put there doesn't work 90% of the time. Hypnosis is okay on Gengar, but there are indeed better moves to try.

Rider542

Years
  • Good point, i had never thought of that.
    But Platinum Dude already convinced me to change it. Now my moveset is:
    -focus blast
    -shadow ball
    -disable
    -substitute
    and holding leftovers.
    thanks anyways :)

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    Ha ha, I'm back again with another quick question.

I know that "Trick Room" allows slower pokemon to move first, but how does this interact with "Gyro Ball"? Does "Gyro Ball become useless once "Trick Room" comes into effect?

Edit: Sorry for this post, I just looked it up and found my answer. (It's Yes, they work with eachother. :P)

Last edited:

PikachuGuy

THOSE CHU'Z
    Years
  • Hey everyone, I'd like a good moveset for Garchomp. Thinking about replacing Dragonite with this guy, he's a beast with access to Swords Dance and higher speed than 'Nite. I first thought Adamant like my 'Nite, but since he can learn SDance, I feel Jolly would be a better choice. Jolly = nice speed with 252 EV investment, and SDance to raise his attack to insane levels.

Jolly Chomp @ Choice Band/Lefties/Life Orb
    252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP

Dragon Claw ---- I feel this would be the most reliable slab Dragon move, I could always go with Dragon Rush, it's the accuracy that matters.

Earthquake ------ Another STAB move, very powerful after a Swords Dance.

Swords Dance ---- Pretty much self-explanatory.

Fire Fang ------ Covers his Ice weakness, and also takes care of Steels who try to switch in, such as Bronzong or Skarmory.

Other options: I like Stone Edge as a filler for Fire Fang (Takes care of 'Nite and Mence)......however, the TM for Stone Edge is a real pain to get.

I'd also like a nice moveset for a Bronzong of my own. I managed to hatch a Relaxed natured one with Levitate.

B-Zong @ Lefties, Occa Berry
    Relaxed nature
    252 HP, 126 Defense, 126 Sp Defense, 6 Attack

Gyro Ball ------ His slow speed will work excellent with this move, it will put the hurt on real speedy Poke's who can't KO him before he does them.

Stealth Rock ------ Rock-setter, I feel this move is a must on all Bronzongs.

Earthquake ------ Takes care of Fire types, which is his only weakness, thanks to Levitate.

Explosion ------- Use this when somebody manages to get you down there in the yellow or red health.

I could also run Dual Screens, Stealth Rock, and Gyro Ball.

Thanks for taking time to stop by and read my post, feel free to send me a pm for further discussion.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Hey everyone, I'd like a good moveset for Garchomp. Thinking about replacing Dragonite with this guy, he's a beast with access to Swords Dance and higher speed than 'Nite. I first thought Adamant like my 'Nite, but since he can learn SDance, I feel Jolly would be a better choice. Jolly = nice speed with 252 EV investment, and SDance to raise his attack to insane levels.

Jolly Chomp @ Choice Band/Lefties/Life Orb
    252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP

Dragon Claw ---- I feel this would be the most reliable slab Dragon move, I could always go with Dragon Rush, it's the accuracy that matters.

Earthquake ------ Another STAB move, very powerful after a Swords Dance.

Swords Dance ---- Pretty much self-explanatory.

Fire Fang ------ Covers his Ice weakness, and also takes care of Steels who try to switch in, such as Bronzong or Skarmory.

Other options: I like Stone Edge as a filler for Fire Fang (Takes care of 'Nite and Mence)......however, the TM for Stone Edge is a real pain to get.

Yup, you're using the right set. You can also consider Outrage for more power than Dragon Claw at the cost of leaving you confused after 2-3 turns, but that can be solved with Lum/Persim Berry or by switching. Just as an FYI, a neutral STAB Earthquake does more to Ice Pokemon than a super effective unSTABed Fire Fang would. Dragon Claw and Outrage also do more to Dragonite and Salamence than Stone Edge would. Don't bother with Dragon Rush; its low accuracy has the tendency of costing you a match.

Years
  • need a lil help on figuring out how too make my team

i am really sick of loosing online with my current team soo i wanna make ampropper team i am completly new too the world of competitive battling after talking with a friend a bit this is what i decided i wanna use on a team yanmega already have at lvl 100 evd 252 spd 252 sp attack 6 hp the rest of my team i need too build i wanna also use ferrowthorn dragonite blaziken blissy not sure what too do for my last slot i was suggested a jellicent by abfriend also i need ideas on what they should have equipped and move sets and what natures and ev's they should have

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    i am really sick of loosing online with my current team soo i wanna make ampropper team i am completly new too the world of competitive battling after talking with a friend a bit this is what i decided i wanna use on a team yanmega already have at lvl 100 evd 252 spd 252 sp attack 6 hp the rest of my team i need too build i wanna also use ferrowthorn dragonite blaziken blissy not sure what too do for my last slot i was suggested a jellicent by abfriend also i need ideas on what they should have equipped and move sets and what natures and ev's they should have

You can find most of the standard movesets here (just CTRL+F and type in the name of the Pokémon you're looking for - make sure it's spelled right, too!). Once you've picked out your sets and Pokémon, feel free to try it out with Pokémon Online or posting it here on PC where we can try to help rate it. It's really pointless for us to flat-out build the team for you, but if you build it yourself and then ask for some help then it becomes a lot easier, and you get better at it in the process. :>

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back