• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

greg0915

Tomorrow is a new day
Years
  • whats a good set for a Cradily? I really love Fossil Pokemon and Cradily is one i haven't a lot of experience with.

And also Would its DW Ability (Storm Drain) be better?

PikachuGuy

THOSE CHU'Z
    Years
  • Aloha everyone.

I just hatched a Male Adamant Dratini. I'm completely new to the EV training thing, so I'll need a bit of help. I want to EV it in attack and speed, so I bought the power bracer and power anklet. Question is, when do you START EV training? Do you start right at level 1 or can you start when it evolves into Dragonite? And I get the idea that the power items add 4 EV's in that stat plus the EV's that the wild Pokemon gives. Example: Dratini holds power anklet, he defeats 1 Magikarp. He gets 5 Speed EV's, 1 from the Magikarp and 4 from the power anklet. And another thing is, how do you know when the stat has maxed out?

dreyko

Isolated System.
    Years
  • for EV training its best to begin right away. the power items just double the amount of EV's you get when you defeat a pokemon. so in 5th gen if you were to have the dratini hold the power anklet and you defeat a basculin, which gives 2 EV's, the power anklet doubles that so you would get 4 EV's in the speed stat. in order t know when the stat is maxed out you reallly just have to keep track of the EV's yourself. so write the number down or if you have a very good memory you could keep track of it all in your head.

furthermore there can be a maximum of 252 EV's in one stat. so if you were to EV train your future dragonite in attack and speed the Ev spread should look like this:
    252 Attack 252 Speed 4 HP

hope this helps =) if you have any more questions just post them because theres a lot more experienced trainers who can also help.

@ greg0915
    i found this nice set on smogon so here it is =)

cradily @ leftovers
    careful
    suction cups/storm drain
    252 HP 252 Sp. Def 4 Def

rock slide
    curse
    rest
    sleep talk

the goal with this set is to curse up your defense and attack and rest to heal of any damage it takes. then from there you sleep talk which randomly uses any move it knows so it will either use curse to boost its stats or rock slide to attack or rest if your unlucky.

as fas as the ability goes, i feel both have their advantages. suction cups laughs at phazers who would roar or whirlwind cradily out, so that it looses its stat boosts. however storm drain will raise its special attack when hit with a water type move, so that ability gets rid of one of cradily's weaknesses. personally i would go with suction cups so that you don't get roared out.

hope this helps =)

Last edited:

PikachuGuy

THOSE CHU'Z
    Years
  • Thanks, dreyko.

I'm EV training in Heart Gold btw. But it says that the power items add 4 ev's to that stat regardless of the Pokemon fought. Like you can still get speed ev's while fighting a Tangela, which gives 1 defense ev. I'm a little confused but I might be able to get it down.

dreyko

Isolated System.
    Years
  • ok so if thats the case then if you were to beat a tangela you would still get that defense EV which would take away from the max amount of EV's that you could put into attack and speed. so, your better of battling strictly the pokemon that give EV's in attack and speed so that you don't end up wasting EV's in stats that you don't want to EV train in.

dreyko

Isolated System.
    Years
  • well then only problem with ingrain is that you cant switch out if you really need to, but if you don't plan on switching out then it would work. ive actually seen various sets with ingrain put to good use.

but yeah if you use ingrain the you wont be roared out and then your free to set up and storm drain grants an immunity to water type moves. however, you do have to use a turn to use ingrain so if you want to try and set up right away use the suction cups ability, because you will be able to set up immediately.

greg0915

Tomorrow is a new day
    Years
  • What about:
    Ability: Storm Drain
    Item: Leftovers
    Move 1: Ingrain
    Move 2: Recover
    Move 3: Curse
    Move 4: Rock Slide/Stone Edge
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp.Def

Or this set:
    Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
    Move 1: Rock Polish
    Move 2: Swords Dance
    Move 3: Recover
    Move 4: Rock Slide/ Stone Edge

Would either of these sets be viable in today's metagame for a Cradily?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Im pretty new to this but.... How does my team look?

Haxorus @ Choice Band
    Ability: Mold Breaker
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252Atk/ 252Spe/ 4HP
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Brick Break
    - Dual Chop

Chandelure @ Wise Glasses
    Ability: Flash Fire
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 252SpAtk/ 252Spe/ 4HP
    - Fire Blast
    - Overheat
    - Energy Ball
    - Shadow Ball

Weavile @ Life Orb
    Ability: Pressure
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 40HP/ 252Atk/ 216Spe
    - Pursuit
    - Ice Shard
    - Low Kick
    - Night Slash

Gengar @ Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4HP/ 252SpAtk / 252Spe
    - Substitute
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Hypnosis

Empoleon @ Life Orb
    Ability: Torrent
    EVs: 12HP/ 4Def/ 252SpAtk/ 240Spe
    - Agility
    - Surf / Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Grass Knot

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Magnet Pull
    Nature: Naive
    EVs: 4Atk/ 252SpAtk/ 252Spe
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power Fire
    - Flash Cannon
    - Explosion

Apple Juice

who are you
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Jul 15, 2014
    Anyone help me out with a revenge killing Mienshao set? I've got a 252Atk/252Spe/4Def with HJKick/StoneEdge/FakeOut/HP Ice, Adamant. Need help with item, possible moveset changes?

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2012
    Anyone help me out with a revenge killing Mienshao set? I've got a 252Atk/252Spe/4Def with HJKick/StoneEdge/FakeOut/HP Ice, Adamant. Need help with item, possible moveset changes?

If you already fully EV'd it and would rather not train, this would work but U-Turn should go over Stone Edge and you should get a hasty nature preferably.

dreyko

Isolated System.
    Years
  • for meinshao, if you want it to be a revenge killler the you can go ahead and and give either a choice scarf or a life orb. choice scarf ensures that you out speed who you are trying to kill but a life orb will add some extra power, which could make a difference.

also meinshao has a good ability: regenerator, which allows it to recover around 33% of its maximum HP when it switches out. so, in order to take advantage of this you could utilize the move U-turn, which also works for scouting. and with the regenerator ability you can heal off some of the life orb recoil, if you choose to use this item.

personally i prefer the move drain punch over HJK because of accuracy and the bonus of recovering some HP, but this is really just a personal preference so, you can choose HJ if you really want to pack a punch, i mean kick lol =)

anyways i hope this helps =)

greg0915

Tomorrow is a new day
    Years
  • What about:
    Item: Leftovers
    Move 1: Ingrain
    Move 2: Recover
    Move 3: Curse
    Move 4: Rock Slide/Stone Edge
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp.Def

Or this set:
    Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
    Move 1: Rock Polish
    Move 2: Swords Dance
    Move 3: Recover
    Move 4: Rock Slide/ Stone Edge
    EVs: not sure :S

Would either of these sets be viable in today's metagame for a Cradily?

So has anyone got any ideas?

dreyko

Isolated System.
    Years
  • which pokemon is better in competitive play: escavalier or accelgor? also what would be the a good move set, item, Ev spread ect. for the better of the two?

Years
  • which pokemon is better in competitive play: escavalier or accelgor? also what would be the a good move set, item, Ev spread ect. for the better of the two?

To the best of my understanding, they fill two rather different roles. Escavalier is ideal for a Trick Room team, and also makes a pretty good bulky attacker even without TR, as long as you have a fire absorbing Pokemon to swap out to if necessary, since it's only problem is a blazing fire weakness. It's movepool is rather lacking, but Bug Gem boosted Megahorn is so deadly that it doesn't usually matter, except against Jellicent. I gave mine:

Escavalier @ Bug Gem
    Swarm
    Brave - 252 Atk, 252 Def, 4 Sp. Def
    Protect
    Megahorn
    Iron Head
    (debatable)

I gave it swords dance in that slot but never have had the opportunity to use it. Mine was a TR sweeper so it's nature is speed down, and it has 0 speed IVs.

Accelgor is the total opposite, frail and speedy as anything. It can be used as a special sweeper, or as a support Pokemon. So it all depends on which suits your team better.

Im pretty new to this but.... How does my team look?

Haxorus @ Choice Band
    Ability: Mold Breaker
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252Atk/ 252Spe/ 4HP
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Brick Break
    - Dual Chop

Chandelure @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252SpAtk/ 252Spe/ 4HP
    - Fire Blast
    - Energy Ball
    - Shadow Ball
    - Protect

Weavile @ Life Orb
    Ability: Pressure
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 40HP/ 252Atk/ 216Spe
    - Pursuit
    - Ice Shard
    - Low Kick
    - Night Slash

Gengar @ Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4HP/ 252SpAtk / 252Spe
    - Substitute
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Hypnosis

Empoleon @ Life Orb
    Ability: Torrent
    EVs: 12HP/ 4Def/ 252SpAtk/ 240Spe
    - Agility
    - Surf for sure
    - Ice Beam
    - Grass Knot

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Magnet Pull
    Nature: Naive
    EVs: 4Atk/ 252SpAtk/ 252Spe
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power Fire
    - Flash Cannon
    - Explosion

Changes are in bold =) other than that, looks pretty good!!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2015
    I'm needing a Physical Sweeper for a gen 5 OU team
    i currently have a Volcarona, Hydreigon, Hitomontop, Ferrothorn
    My volcarona if a bulky special sweeper with 252 Ev's in HP and Defence with Morning Sun, Quiver Dance, Flamethrower/Fiery Dance, Bug Buzz
    Standard Special sweeper hydreigon set
    Standard bulky stall Ferrothorn set
    but my hitmontop is technician with fake out, mach punch, bullet punch and rapid spin

So i need a physical sweeper (probably not a dragon as i already have one in my team)
    Also does my hitmontop have a viable moveset?

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • I'm needing a Physical Sweeper for a gen 5 OU team
    i currently have a Volcarona, Hydreigon, Hitomontop, Ferrothorn
    My volcarona if a bulky special sweeper with 252 Ev's in HP and Defence with Morning Sun, Quiver Dance, Flamethrower/Fiery Dance, Bug Buzz
    Standard Special sweeper hydreigon set
    Standard bulky stall Ferrothorn set
    but my hitmontop is technician with fake out, mach punch, bullet punch and rapid spin

So i need a physical sweeper (probably not a dragon as i already have one in my team)
    Also does my hitmontop have a viable moveset?

Hitmontop's set is viable. Volcarona should have Fiery Dance. It's all around better than Flamethrower.

Maybe try Conkeldurr, it's not a sweeper as such but it can sweep teams. ;-; I just contradicted myself, I know. It can tear teams apart soooo.

Terrakion is an excellent Physical sweeper.

4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Stone Edge / Close Combat / X-Scissor / Quick Attack @Choice Scarf/Band Jolly/Adamant

That's a pretty fierce set, it can sweep entire teams. :3

What would be a good moveset for a Gen V Torterra?

Well it depends what you're wanting it for. There's a defensive lead

Torterra @Leftovers
    Ev's: 252 Hp / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Impish Nature [+Def; -SpA]
    Ability: Overgrow
    - Stealth Rock
    - Leech Seed
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge/Wood Hammer

Orr there's the offensive set

Torterra @Leftovers/Yache Berry
    Ev's: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature [+Atk; -SpA]
    Ability: Overgrow
    - Rock Polish
    - Swords Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Wood Hammer

From experience I'll say that the first set is the best.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2012
    Musharna moveset

Musharna @Leftovers
    -Hypnosis
    -Calm Mind
    -Psychic
    -Barrier

A friend of mine told me that this is destined to fail because im trying to do too much, but, after 1 calm mind its special defense is 475 and after 1 barrier its physical defense is 590. Just after 2 turns its defenses are immense and after 2 more they'd be all but unbreakable. The Inly downside is a lack of recovery move other then rest but I don't think it would do all that bad would it?

dreyko

Isolated System.
    Years
  • can i have some feedback on my starmie set please?

stamie @ choice scarf
    modest
    4 HP 252 Sp. Attack 252 Speed

ice beam
    thunderbolt
    surf/ hydro pump
    grass knot/ psychic

so, i plan to use this starmie on my rain team. i know it is, in some ways, outclassed by rotom- w, but i wanted to try something different. since i used a modest nature, i gave it a choice scarf to help it outspeed the opponent. however im still unsure about the item to give it. LO seems to also be effective too. also, im kinda lost on the last move slot so i need some help with that.

thanks ahead of time =)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back