• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Simple Questions (Ask Questions Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    I've just received this game for Christmas, and have just beaten the second gym on the first island and have delivered the letter to Steven. My only Pokemon is a level 23 Combusken. I am wondering what other Pokemon are around this area that I should catch, because I believe I should have 1 other Pokemon before going to the next Gym and training both my Pokemon to level 30/35. I can only find fighting Pokemon and Tentacools, so what do you guys recommend?

In the Cave on Dewford Island youwill find Abras. They may seem pointless having only "Teleport" as amove, but their evolutions become Special Attack monsters. So I would suggest that. Of course, if you ask me, one of my favourite Steel Pokemon are in there - Aron. He takes a hell of a long time to evolve, but he's a real physical sweeper.

But if you're going for a specialty team, I would highly recommend Abra as one of the strongest Psychic Pokemon. But beware of Natures - my Abra had a nature that made Defense extremely weak, and nearly any move could take him out in one or two hits. But his Special Attack... wowsers. LOL

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2006
    I didn't see any Abras, but I'll look. If he only knows teleport, then should I just put him out at the beginning of battles and them switch him out to level him up?

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
    I didn't see any Abras, but I'll look. If he only knows teleport, then should I just put him out at the beginning of battles and them switch him out to level him up?

He only knows Teleport... and yes that is the best way to train him at that time. It can be quite frustrating after awhile though...

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2006
    I can't seem to catch an Abra, they broke free of both my Great Balls and 2 Pokeballs. Any other recommendations?

Paranoia

FC: 1375 3660 8982
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    I suggest an aron as the final evolution looks beast, but remember to get the old rod in that town from a fisher and catch a majikarp as it will evolve into a gyrados at level 20, the bad thing is though while the it is a majikarp it has only one move which is splash and does nothing until lvl 10 or 15 it will learn tackle, so youll have to put it infront of the party then switch out at the start of the battle to your combusken.

Mudkip85

A.K.A ~KIPPER~
    Years
    I can't seem to catch an Abra, they broke free of both my Great Balls and 2 Pokeballs. Any other recommendations?

Abra shoukdnt really be that difficult to catch. Abra teleports from battle nearly everytime you encounter it so make sure to put i to sleep, or have a pokemon that knows mean look to trap it in battle. Just make sure you weaken it before attempting to catch it prefebly get its Hp into the red. Do this and you should be fine use greatballs.

~Kipper~

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2006
    I finally got lucky and caught one first try with a Pokeball, my is now a level 32 Combusken, a level 27 Kadabra and a level 20 Aron. My goals for the next gym are Kadabra at level 30, Aron at level 32 and Combusken at level 36, should that be good for the fourth gym?

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    I finally got lucky and caught one first try with a Pokeball, my is now a level 32 Combusken, a level 27 Kadabra and a level 20 Aron. My goals for the next gym are Kadabra at level 30, Aron at level 32 and Combusken at level 36, should that be good for the fourth gym?

My suggestion for training your Kadabra is to train it in the volcano ash place, and beat a truck load of Spindas - as the EV discussion has gone. This will boost your Special Attack. Also let Kadabra hold the Macho Brace. It decreases speed, but Kadabra is pretty much fast enough to override that.

EDIT:

Also, I'm starting to EV train my Beldum - I'm trying to get it near perfect. I started with HP, and battling Whismurs. I did the math, and I'm going for 140 EV points for HP. With Pokerus and Macho Brace, it decreases the amount of Whismurs to 35. I did this last night, with putting Beldum out first, and then switching to Rayquaza to dominate the Whismur, but it didn't seem like Beldum gotmore than the normal HP increase(+3 each time), even though puting him in first and switching SHOULD give him the full 4 EV points. And I'm paranoid to mess up with EV training, since I worked my behind off to get him to an Adamant nature. I'm just wondering if I'm doing this right. He's at Level 11 right now with some 36 HP, and that's being finished with the HP portion of EV training. Can someone please tell me that I'm doing this right? LOL

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Hey I'm not really sure how Choice Band works... heh, so if anyone could help me out :)

It does just what it says--it boosts the power of the move that you use but prevents you from using a different move.

Now, for my real reason for posting...

Paranoia said:
    I suggest an aron as the final evolution looks beast, but remember to get the old rod in that town from a fisher and catch a majikarp as it will evolve into a gyrados at level 20

...Did you just suggest the horrible Gyarados to someone?

Paranoia said:
    Also i believe this combo would work with their last poke so i would be the one laughing at there pathetic attempt to try and beat me,
    and they would only switch out if they were as intelligent as you, some people don't even know what EV training is

That would require being able to survive that long, but with only two usable attacks to work with it isn't very likely. And it has NOTHING to do with EV training. Just bad technique. ...Although......maybe combined with a SpikeSkarm (not the right name, yeah, but brain is half-gone)?

And to answer your question, read: YOU CAN NOT BREED A MALE POKEMON WITH ANYTHING OTHER THAN A DITTO OR A FEMALE VERSION AND GET A PRE-EVOLUTION OF THAT POKEMON. Period. End of story.

what?

an 815 survivor :P
    Years
    • Seen May 23, 2007
    just a quick question:
    what is the maximum "feel" level before the pokemon cannot eat anymore berries?
    is it 255? i think it was....

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    just a quick question:
    what is the maximum "feel" level before the pokemon cannot eat anymore berries?
    is it 255? i think it was....

APokemon can eat as many berries as you want. It's Pokeblocks that have a limit. It's not based on the level or feel. I believe it's just 15 Pokeblocks max a Pokemon can eat. 255 is the maximum for EV points.

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2006
    I now have a level 32 Lairon, a level 31 Kadabra and a level 38 Blaziken. I've just acquired surf, so I can go almost anywheres, and am wondering if I should get a good water pokemon or get a different type of Pokemon. What do you reccomend now?

what?

an 815 survivor :P
    Years
    • Seen May 23, 2007
    APokemon can eat as many berries as you want. It's Pokeblocks that have a limit. It's not based on the level or feel. I believe it's just 15 Pokeblocks max a Pokemon can eat. 255 is the maximum for EV points.

weird, i saw 12 pokeblocks on several guides,
    and
    when i fed my pokemon a pokeblock with 73 "feel", 1 star became 3.

Years
    I've just received this game for Christmas, and have just beaten the second gym on the first island and have delivered the letter to Steven. My only Pokemon is a level 23 Combusken. I am wondering what other Pokemon are around this area that I should catch, because I believe I should have 1 other Pokemon before going to the next Gym and training both my Pokemon to level 30/35. I can only find fighting Pokemon and Tentacools, so what do you guys recommend?
    I would personally use Ralts instead of Abra. Ralts is located on Route 102 and is rare. However if it is under level 6 it will only know Growl and will learn Confusion at Level 6. A full list of its moves can be seen here.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Also, I'm starting to EV train my Beldum - I'm trying to get it near perfect. I started with HP, and battling Whismurs. I did the math, and I'm going for 140 EV points for HP. With Pokerus and Macho Brace, it decreases the amount of Whismurs to 35. I did this last night, with putting Beldum out first, and then switching to Rayquaza to dominate the Whismur, but it didn't seem like Beldum gotmore than the normal HP increase(+3 each time), even though puting him in first and switching SHOULD give him the full 4 EV points. And I'm paranoid to mess up with EV training, since I worked my behind off to get him to an Adamant nature. I'm just wondering if I'm doing this right. He's at Level 11 right now with some 36 HP, and that's being finished with the HP portion of EV training. Can someone please tell me that I'm doing this right? LOL
    That mainly depends on what HP IVs your Beldum has. A Lv11 Beldum with max IVs (31) and no HP EVs will have 33 HP. If you truly finished your HP EV training (140 EV points) and its HP is 36, that means your Beldum has HP IVs of 22-30. Not too bad at all. It is always important to find out the IVs of your Poke before you start EV training. You can do this by using Stat Calculators that can be found on the web. A weak IV stat can sometimes counter-effect your EV training.

Hey I'm not really sure how Choice Band works... heh, so if anyone could help me out :)
    Choice Band increases the Poke's Atk by 1.5, but you can only attack with one of the Poke's four moves, hence the name Choice Band. Keep in mind that the power increase is to the Poke's Atk, so if you choose a special attack, it will not be affected. Most people don't use it because they don't understand it or realize the benefit of it.

I would personally use Ralts instead of Abra. Ralts is located on Route 102 and is rare. However if it is under level 6 it will only know Growl and will learn Confusion at Level 6. A full list of its moves can be seen here.
    I agree. In-game, Gardevoir can be more effective than Alakazam, especially since it can learn Calm Mind earlier than Zam and it can even learn Thunderbolt, while Zam has to either be bred with Thunderpunch, or you need to wait to get to the Emerald Battle Frontier to purchase it. Competitively though, I still give the nod to Zam with its superior speed and power.

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2006
    I'm not sure if I can get an Alekazam, because I have a DS and I don't think DS can connect GBA games. Also, What other pokemon do you reccomend? I can't seem to find any good ones, only crappy ones. (Not that I'm that sure they're crappy, but they look crappy).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back