• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Simple Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razzzzzza

The Ultimate Charzard Owner.
Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2006
    What are the Major differences between Fire Red and Red? I mean I have not gotten far, are there new pokemon new areas? :P or is it the same with a paintjob?

THIRTY-SIX

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2015
    its basically a paint job but after completeing the game as far as the elite four you can go to islands to get johto pokemon... so on kanto regien no "new" pokemon

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Razzzzzza said:
    What are the Major differences between Fire Red and Red? I mean I have not gotten far, are there new pokemon new areas? :P or is it the same with a paintjob?
    Here are the major differences/improvements from RBY to FRLG:

1. When one of your Active Pokemon levels up, blue lines will appear from it.
    2. If another Pokemon levels up but isn't active, its picture and new level will appear in the upper right corner.
    3. When you capture a Pokemon, stars will appear around the ball's center.
    4. The items now have pictures to show what they look like.
    5. When you view your Pokemon's stats, the Pokemon's icon will jump based on your current HP and status. Even their cries change. That's cool.
    6. After you give Celio the Sapphire, you can battle the Elite Four a second time and they have stronger Pokemon. Have fun!
    7. Text is now color-coded: blue for boys, red for girls, black for info.
    8. There's a Revive instead of a HP Up in Mt. Moon.
    9. You can move an item from a Pokemon straight to the PC, not to mention the fact that Pokemon can now actually hold items.
    10. When you capture an extra Pokemon, it will tell you what Box it went to.
    11. You get 600 steps instead of 500 while in the Safari Zone.
    12. Elevators are now time-based. You'll be stuck there longer depending on the distance between selected floors.
    13. You can no longer deposit into your PC anything that isn't a disposable Item (no Key Items, no Poke Balls of any kind, no nothing).
    14. The Lapras you receive in Silph Co. is Lv.25 instead of Lv.15.
    15. Revive a fossil and find that it's only Lv.5 instead of Lv.30!
    16. Dragonair can now be found by fishing with the Super Rod in Safari Zone.
    17. The Moon Stone in Pokemon Mansion has been moved.
    18. The first question in Cinnabar Gym has been changed (for clarification).
    19. The last question in Cinnabar Gym has been slightly changed.
    20. Moltres now resides in Mt. Ember on One Island instead of Victory Road.
    21. Indigo Plateau's Pokemon Center now has Gym music.
    22. Jr. Trainers are the only Trainers from the color games that no longer
    exist. They are now called Picnicker (female) and Camper (male).
    23. The Unknown Dungeon is now called "Cerulean Cave."
    24. The TM/HM list copies that of Ruby and Sapphire.
    25. Text for Hail damage has been changed (pelted instead of stricken).
    26. When you white out, it walks you through what happens.
    27. You can see items being used on your Pokemon.
    28. When you load your game, it will recap recent events in case you forgot.
    29. Gamblers are now called Gamers.
    30. The TM and Berry pockets in your bag have been replaced with Key Items.
    31. Team Rocket will vanish from Mt. Moon and Rocket Game Corner once you beat them there.
    32. In the color games, if you had the Dig TM in your pack, the man who owned it will say he doesn't need it. However, if you used it, he will continue to chastise Team Rocket. Not so in this version.
    33. PP remaining will change in color as you use it up.

I am sure there are other small improvements, but these are the most obvious.

Last edited:

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    #1 Mimi Fan said:
    I need help I can't find the best pokemon to start off because my starter gets so powerful real easy
    If you are worried about that, then train a wider variety of Pokes at the beginning. That will limit the amount of time you use your starter, thus not leveling it up so quickly. Besides, there are TONS of UU Pokes that need some love too.

trjessie579

Rocket Member
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jan 24, 2008
    1. Beat the Elite Four.

2. If you haven't already, get 60 Pokemon in your 'Dex and go talk to Oak, he'll give you the National Dex (if you had 60 Pokes when you beat the E4 he'll give it to you right away).

3. Go talk to Celio and he'll give you the Pass for the other Islands.

Remember that you can't get to Islands 8 (Deoxys) or 9 (Lugia/Ho-oh) without a special Ticket you can only get at Nintendo-sponsored events.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2006
    My Golbat keeps "trying" to evolve. For the last 4 or so levels, it starts evolving but then just stays as Golbat and the message "..?" appears. Do I need to raise its happiness even further?

Also, on the same subject, whenever I go talk to Daisy she just says "If your pokémon get tired, give them a rest" (or something along those lines) - but I wanted her to tell me my Golbat's happiness! (And offer me a grooming too!)

So... Answers anyone? :)

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Agent9 said:
    [After you beat the Elite Four, you need to get 60 pokemon species and talk to Oak, He will give you the national Dex, then raise your Golbat by one level and poof, Crobat.
    That is not entirely correct. Crobat only evolves when its Happiness rating is above 220. You can go to Pallet Town and speak with your Rival's sister, and she will tell you how happy your lead Poke is. IIRC, she needs to say that she even feels happy looking at it (not sure about the FRLG phrases). Once that is done, THEN when you level it up it will evolve into Crobat.

Thanks to Tootache for correcting me. I was too lazy to go back a page to find out that Agent9 was responding to a previous question. Please disregard this post.

Last edited:

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
  • Shane, the point is her Crobat already has enough Happiness to evolve. The only problem is you need the National Dex to allow evolution. If any Pokemon tries to evolve but automatically stops itself, get the National Dex and it will evolve on the next level.

trjessie579

Rocket Member
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jan 24, 2008
    To clarify a little bit, Golbat is in the Kanto Pokedex, Crobat is not. That is why you need the National Dex before it can evolve. It's the same with Chansey.

mew_rocks

Sell the kids for food
    Years
  • ok on emerald u can use slugmas flamebody ability to hatch eggs faster, but is there any thing in fire red and leafgreen that will like the hot springs or something?

THIRTY-SIX

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2015
    nope, i asked a similar q and that was the answer, it was only introduced in emerald...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back