• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Simple Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

HowlingWolves

Konnichiwa!
Years
  • demonchaos916 said:
    That won't matter if you know how to gain EVs. When you level up, you gain a base amount of stats, plus additional stats from EVs. If you use Rare Candies to level up you just gain the base amount of stats and only that. But that won't matter cause you can just go fight wild Pokemon and gain the EVs back, so in the end, if you compared 2 of the same pokemon at level 100 (one leveled up using Rare Candies and the second by training), with same personality, same IV/DVs, and with the same amount of EVs in each stat, they would both be the same and equal in power.

BTW: You shouldn't swear. You're not suppose to swear, including using other letters/symbols to bypass the censor.

No, their stats AREN'T the same, the one raised by rare candies is weaker then the one raised by battling.

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2015
    Whatever...I'll just wait til frostweaver or some other Pokey pro comes along...but i'll just post this exerpt from weaver's guide

From frostweaver's guide To Maximixe the Strength of Your Team - 3) In Ruby/Sapphire, stats growth are calculated by EV. You get a hidden amount of EV for every opponent you battle. Every Pokemon gives a different amount of EV in different categories. For example, a Zigzagoon gives you EV +1 in speed, while a Spinda gives EV +1 in sp.att. 4 points of EV means +1 in stats for that category. However, you can only get up to 512 EV, meaning maximizing only 2 category out of HP, Attack, Defense, Sp.Attack, Sp.Def and Speed. So you must choose who to battle. Now that you're at lvl 100, even if you don't have any EV growth, you can still KO anyone. So choose which area of EV to improve on, and choose your opponents wisely. Train for hours until you get an effort ribbon (meaning that your EV has been maximized). Put it in the box like the classical GSC box trick to maximize stats. Voila...

Last edited:

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • HowlingWolves said:
    No, their stats AREN'T the same, the one raised by rare candies is weaker then the one raised by battling.
    rare candy works like this... it gives you 1 lvl worth of normal exp and 0 EV. When you battle, EV will be earned automatically depending on which Pokemon you face. EV is a secret number that determines how much stats you get. A pokemon will grow according to a base stat, while gaining some additional stats depending on EV. Let's use an Alakazam for example.

For simplicity's sake, we'll have a lvl 1 Alakazam (impossible but it'll get the point across)

Lvl 1 Alakazam without EV has this stats assuming 31 IV in all categories
    HP 12
    Atk 6
    Def 6
    Sp.Atk 8
    Sp.Def 7
    Spd 7

Using rare candy to lvl up this Alakazam then... Meaning he will be gaining level without any EV at all. Alakazam will have...

HP 251
    Atk 136
    Def 126
    Sp.Atk 306 (INSANE!!)
    Sp.Def 206
    Spd 276

However, one category of stats can have up to 252 EV, or a 63 point increase. You can manipulate what EV you get by choosing who you're going to battle. So if you use EV training method, and battles nothing but Numel (+1 sp.atk per Numel) and Zubat (+1 EV per Zubat), then you'll get an Alakazam with this...

HP 251
    Atk 136
    Def 126
    Sp.Atk 369 (EVEN MORE INSANE!!)
    Sp.Def 206
    Spd 339

As you see the stats will change for a very significant amount with EV manipulation. If you "train normally", you'll be getting a random amount of EV therefore having varying stats as you go along. However, if you first use rare candy, then EV train and box trick it, then you can have a much easier time manipulating your EV (because at lvl 100, anything dies at one hit so you can choose your opponents). In the end, rare candy is a better training method as long as you also use the EV/Box trick with it. Hope this clear things up.

goku12

Champion of Norath
    Years
  • demonchaos916 said:
    It's free isn't it? I have one to test all the codes I get from the Calculator since I can paste them right on so I don't waste my time entering a code that doesn't work. I forgot where I downloaded my VBA though.
    So, you can downlaod a VBA?

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2015
    Kenta-kun said:
    Yup. just search on Google for Visual Boy Advance

I think you can download one at gbxemu.com...isn't this kinda like the wrong place to be talking about ROM/Emu?

goku12

Champion of Norath
    Years
  • demonchaos916 said:
    I think you can download one at gbxemu.com...isn't this kinda like the wrong place to be talking about ROM/Emu?
    I'm talking about cartidges.

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2015
    Are there any moves like Confuse Ray and Attract that can be learned by Gengar?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • Gengar can learn will o wisp, toxic, destiny bond, nightshade, seismic toss, mean look, substitute and perish song as well in terms of indirect damage/annoying move. Such a wide movepool and high speed makes Gengar one of the most common used Pokemon out there (it can also be a special sweeper too learning psychic, giga drain and thunderbolt, and thanks for balance as it can't learn wave).

Note: there are physical gengars out there for the sole purpose of Blissey mauling, and a little surprise

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2015
    Physical Gengars??? Does Gengar only have an ATk stat of only like 150? Mine is only like 167.

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2015
    Does the Secret Trainer ID determine what kind of Trainer appears in yuor base on the other person's game file when you mix records???

If it is...how do you figure out what your Secret Trainer ID is?

What are dark types weak agaisnt?

Last edited:

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • When you mix records, a trainer will appear in your secret base. The last number of the mixer's ID will determine the identity of the trainer. I can't remember but I think the list goes like this:

0 and 5 - Youngster
    1 and 6 - Bug Catcher
    2 and 7 - Can't remember...
    3 and 8 - Gentlemen or Lady
    4 and 9 - Cooltrainer (Male or Female)

I'm probably wrong since this is from Memory

Dark type attacks are weak against: Fighting, Dark and Steel
    Dark Pokemon are weak against: Fighting and Bug

~ MCD

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • it is illegal to Nintendo's standard but there are websites out there hosting them.

PC itself does support hack but we do not support roms, so i'm afraid we can't help you on this one ^_^;

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2015
    How do I get Wurmple to evolve into Silcoon...or was it Cascoon? Whichever one evolves into Beutifly is the one I want. I've evolved 5 Wurmples and each time I get Dustox.

Years
  • demonchaos916 said:
    How do I get Wurmple to evolve into Silcoon...or was it Cascoon? Whichever one evolves into Beutifly is the one I want. I've evolved 5 Wurmples and each time I get Dustox.

I always thought that a female wurmple would become a beautifly but that didnt work out I would recommend just catching a silcoon that already evolved from wurmple.

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2015
    Where do get a Good Rod? I started a new game so I kinda forgot everything

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • demonchaos916 said:
    it depends on the time of the day you evolve Wurmple. At day time it's Beautifly, and at night time it's Dustox.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Actually, it's completely random. I used to think that, but when I started a new game in Ruby, I got two Wurmples, and I trained them both to get a Dustox to trade to my brother. It was 9:00, and the first one evolved into Dustox (as expected), but the second one evolved into Beautifly. I then consulted some of the other guides om the web, and they confirmed that it was random.

~ MCD

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back