• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Sky Battles

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2015
Sky battles are a new type of battle being introduced in X and Y, they include Flying types and those who use Levitate.

sky_battle_1.jpg

How do you feel about sky battles, do you have any ideas about factors in sky battles that are different?

Do you think it will be purely restricted to flying and levitating, or will there be other ways to participate with other pokemon that appear that they can fly or can learn fly (Such as Golurk)

And more importantly...what about Gyarados, he is a flying and water type, but it sure would be weird to see him in the sky, will be allowed to fight in these battles?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
All Pokémon that have the Levitate ability should be able to participate in sky battles, and so should the ones that are able to learn Fly. I think sky battles will limit you from using ground-type and rock-type moves, since it just wouldn't make sense to use them here. Personally, I'd like to see them introduce some sort of an item that can enable any Pokémon to participate in these battles when they're holding it, such as a jet pack or maybe even rocket boots. xD

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2015
There is the balloon, but that pops in one hit.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
Years
I like the idea of sky battles... (for obivious reasons...)

I do wonder if they'll inculde pokemon holding an Air Balloon...
But unless Air Balloons become unbreakable in Sky Battles, that'd be pointless...

& as for Gyarados, it should FINALLY put it's Flying-typing to a use.
(It has Bounce, which I understand is ACTUALLY used in competitive battling,
but I think being able to fight in Sky Battles will still be a better use of being "Flying".)

EDITED IN:
@ Perdition Haze:
Pfft... since when does "sense" matters in the world of Pokemon?
Does any of these make sense?:

Wailord and Skitty breeding

Doduo & Dodrio flying when their pokedex entries SPECIALLY said that they CAN'T fly.

Scyther uses it's scythe-like arms a LOT, but nevers actually cuts it's foe what-so-ever.
(At least, not from what I've seen...)

I could go on & on, but these should be enough to prove my point...

By the way, the "let's fly together" theme you made is AWESOME!!!

Last edited:

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2015
I still think it'd be weird, he'd just be floating

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
Years
I still think it'd be weird, he'd just be floating
Perhaps it "swims" though the sky? or does something similar to Drifblim?

EDITED IN:
Actually, "swimming" though the sky makes more sense to me, not that sense matters in the world of Pokemon...

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2015
I guess he has a similar shape to Rayquaza, who also doesn't really have wings

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
My thoughts go to weather in Sky Battles. We have been notified of a weather summoner, Mega Charizard. With the ability Drought it can summon permanent sun and it keeps it's secondary Flying type. Now I'm curious as to whether the other weathers will get the same respect or not. Also how useful will this actually be. Will teams be built around battling Mega Charizard or carry Pokemon that have the weather skills.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2013
I made this to show all the old Pokemon I think will be able to participate. I think it took me a couple hours... but I had fun!

skybattle_zpsc3884ecd.png

Notes:
*Mistakes:
--Forgot to add Togekiss ><

*Pokemon I DID NOT include:
--Natu: supposedly can't fly
--Mantyke & Mantine: purely because it doesn't feel right
--Doduo & Dodrio: yup
--Dunsparce: can only flutter around briefly
--Cottonee & Whimsicott: Haven't seen them flying much
--Archen: mostly jumps around

*Pokemon I DID include:
--Heracross: he can fly, canonically
--select Psychic-types: shown levitating almost always
--select "magnetic" Pokemon: shown levitating almost always
--Gyarados: snake dragons can fly
--select "mysical" Pokemon: often seen floating around
--Porygon: inexplicably flies around
--select Bug-types: they fly, of course
--select Ghost-types: the ones that levitate without the ability
--Castform: he obviously flies
--Kricketune: same as Heracross
--Arceus: he can do pretty much everything
--Golurk: PURE AWESOME
--Unova legendaries: they fly, oddly enough

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Spoiler:

If you did this to see who can participate, they have already stated that only Flying Type Pokemon and Pokemon with Levitate can be used in Sky Battles. If they don't fit either criteria then they can't participate. A Pokemon shown with the ability to fly (Through HM) most likely won't be able to enter even though they can fly. Also Anime plays little to no part in involvement with Game Mechanics so just cause they can fly in the anime doesn't mean they'll be included.

Only those that are Flying Type or have the ability Levitate are able to enter.

Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
So are they planning on doing surfing battles or dive battles, then? Because that's the next logical step.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
So are they planning on doing surfing battles or dive battles, then? Because that's the next logical step.

Seriously doubt it since we've had Surfing battles since Gen 1 and changing that now would be pointless...we also had unhindered Dive battles in Gen 3 so I don't see them changing that either. Both are somewhat mandatory in their respective playthroughs so limiting what can battle on them prevents you from moving forward as if the only thing capable of participating faints you lose and start back from square one.

Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2013
If you did this to see who can participate, they have already stated that only Flying Type Pokemon and Pokemon with Levitate can be used in Sky Battles. If they don't fit either criteria then they can't participate. A Pokemon shown with the ability to fly (Through HM) most likely won't be able to enter even though they can fly. Also Anime plays little to no part in involvement with Game Mechanics so just cause they can fly in the anime doesn't mean they'll be included.

Only those that are Flying Type or have the ability Levitate are able to enter.
Actually, bubba, they said there were "some exceptions." Deal with it.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Actually, bubba, they said there were "some exceptions." Deal with it.

Some exceptions to the two specific listed. Not all Flying Types and Levitators can participate, but last it was said Only those two specifics were allowed in. In the old thread I was in support of others as well, but since then its been made clearer as when first announced they said some Pokemon can participate. Upon release of official info, they said Flying and Levitators only.

Its currently stated that only Flying and Levitating Pokemon can participate. All screen shots shown fit this as well.

Bulbapedia is currently keeping the info as up to date, and it still only lists the currently known restrictions.

I don't really seem Gamefreak going out of their way to add in extra Pokemon onto the list either. They're most likely to keep it with the two restrictions placed.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I know it's rumored that not all flying types and levitators maybe able to participate but if they all were there's quite a lot of diversity with 84 flying types (counting formes of Shaymin and Rotom) and aproximately 35 pokemon with levitate (36 if one counts Fan Rotom). Best of all that's not even counting the new Gen VI flying types so there's bound to be a lot more.

Decimosoma

Free to dream, free to smile
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 13, 2014
Here is a list with a few Pokémons that can't learn Fly:

Butterfree
Scyther
Gyarados
Hoppip
Skiploom
Jumpfluff
Gligar
Gliscor
Beautifly
Masquerain
Ninjask
Mothim
Combee
Vespiquen
Drifloon
Drifblim
Chatot
Yanma
Yanmega
Mantyke
Mantine
Shaymin (Sky form)
Rotom (Fly form)
Emolga

Despite being a flying-type doesn't mean you can be a turboblazer and take off into the clouds like a high-speed jet, some flying-type Pokémons have limits of how far they can get in the Sky. (Unless you're Wilbur's Pidgey which no flying-type stand a chance against! Just kidding.) I believe none of them will be able to participate in Sky battles unless they get the Levitate ability or get little update in XY where some of them can learn Fly. In my opinion Sky battles should only be available for pure Flying-type Pokémons who are most of the time in the skies.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 11, 2023
I believe sky battles merely add variety in battles, it is a nice addition!

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2015
I made this to show all the old Pokemon I think will be able to participate. I think it took me a couple hours... but I had fun!

skybattle_zpsc3884ecd.png

This is Great! I can see this being put on Serrebi, but I can't see Genisect up there...he as no wings, I feel that bug types are an odd addition, How would Joltik get up in the sky?

Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2013
Joltic isn't on my list.

Genesect learns Fly and flies around the entire time in the Genesect Movie. I didn't say all Bug-types, just the ones that fly around.

Well, to be honest, if the qualifier for participation is Flying-type or Levitate only... and we all know not all the Flying-types are gonna make it in... That's kind of a small pool to pull from. But if that's how GameFreak is gonna do it, it sounds like it's not going to be as much fun as I had hoped. When I heard there were exceptions, I assumed that meant outlier that could participate, not just even greater exclusivity.

Back