• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Smoking

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    I think the major companies should become governmentally regulated in the form of looking over the shoulders of the manufacturers to make sure what they're putting in the cigarette is kosher. Don't put that tar in there, don't pack in those carcinogens, don't put 'extra' flavour in the form of a toxic fluid used to clean windows on a ship. . .

If anyone were to smoke I think they should either smoke a decent cigar or a brand of cigarette that uses only tobacco and paper. It's funny, only a few cigars put out an odor strong enough to turn my nose, but most cigarettes contain some sort of 'bad smell' that I just can't place.

Oh, and be considerate at least. Don't walk and smoke, sit at a spot and smoke because people behind you can get wind blasted by your brand, and they probably didn't tap you on the shoulder and say about your second hand smoke: "Please sir, can I have some more?"

Exactly this! What irritates me the most however is when people smoke right outside the door to a store or another business. Especially if it is one where children pass by. Just today I saw a lady smoking outside of the grocery store, and it really bothered me. I wan't even going into the store, but if I did I would have had to go through her smoke. Part of the reason it happens there(because I notice it happens pretty frequently at this store) is because the way the front of the store is designed, it kind of tucks you away from the main walk way--but that doesn't mean your smoke isn't going to come around. It especially bothers me because its a store where people are constantly in and out with their small children/babies etc. and THEY AREN'T EVEN OLD ENOUGH TO MAKE A CONSCIOUS DECISION ABOUT SMOKING.

Years
    I personally don't smoke and never will. I see the health (and financial issues) effects that it has on people based on my family, so I'd rather not live my life dealing with a similar issue.

Here in the United States, the attitude towards smoking has changed quite a lot in about 15-20 years. I remember there were smoking and non-smoking sections in almost all restaurants, now the only buildings that allow smoking are bars, and even then it's up to management. Advertisements for cigarettes have vanished and there are actually PSA commercials talking about the harms of smoking along with various other drugs. Some jobs wont hire you at all if you smoke, I've also heard that some insurance companies won't insure you if you're a smoker.

Spiff

love child
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 30, 2023
    I smoke and I honestly don't understand the stigma behind it at all. There are so many worse things I could be doing with myself, lol and I'm getting criticized for this? I feel like I could be ODing on pills everyday and I'd get less of a stink.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    I smoke and I honestly don't understand the stigma behind it at all. There are so many worse things I could be doing with myself, lol and I'm getting criticized for this? I feel like I could be ODing on pills everyday and I'd get less of a stink.

Frankly I don't care what you do to yourself. Chug gasoline and snort crushed glass for all I care. But the moment what you do affects me, it becomes an issue. I.E. Second hand smoke.

Spiff

love child
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 30, 2023
    Frankly I don't care what you do to yourself. Chug gasoline and snort crushed glass for all I care. But the moment what you do affects me, it becomes an issue. I.E. Second hand smoke.
    I can dig that man. Designated smoking areas are cool for that but most smokers I know don't really subscribe to the idea. Probably because of their cool and rebellious nature. Oh well.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    I can dig that man. Designated smoking areas are cool for that but most smokers I know don't really subscribe to the idea. Probably because of their cool and rebellious nature. Oh well.

And even to that extent, unless the designated smoking area is an air tight box where the only opening is well above my head I'm still very likely to be subjected to second hand smoke. Especially if the designated smoking area is just off the street or in area that sees frequent foot traffic. If it was tucked away somewhere I wouldn't have to reasonably walk past to get from place to place then I suppose that'd also suffice.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Reformed smoker myself. Diehard at that. I was under the legal age to purchase cigarettes but smoking was my god given right, dammit, and Surgeon General be damned I am an American and I will destroy my body if I please.

I've since grown up and quit after a series of medical and social problems I confronted due to smoking. And I like to think that quitting has dramatically improved my quality of life! I didn't realize how much my sense of smell and taste was actually dampened from smoking, let alone my actual health. I consider myself lucky to have quit when I did.

As for the laws regarding tobacco products, I think it would be unbelievably short sighted and foolish to outright ban it. As Gavin stated, it's just a single thread in the web of human addiction and reversing the legality of tobacco would just create an uproar. This is something that is so tightly woven into the fabric of society, and will not be leaving anytime soon no matter how much we regulate. If anything, tighten up the laws to prevent anyone under a legal age from getting started and make alternatives and treatments more available for those who do wish to quit.

Speaking of alternatives, I'm surprised no one has mentioned vaping yet. It's basically the methadone for cigarettes.

Last edited:

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    I just wanted to drop this article here from my local newspaper. It details that my county has received an "F" from the American Lung Association's State of Tobacco Control. Which is pretty dang bad. If you live in the US, you can check here for your area's grade.

Have the results shocked you? I know they shocked me when I found out about the area I live in. From what I understand, of the 3-4 categories you get graded on, we received 4 points in ONLY ONE--the rest have zero points--for a grade in that subcategory of a D. Which makes our ultimate grade with something like 4/76 points an F. I couldn't even imagine scoring that low on any test I've taken in my life so I don't know how its okay for the place that I live to score so low when it adversely affects so many people!

Years
    I just wanted to drop this article here from my local newspaper. It details that my county has received an "F" from the American Lung Association's State of Tobacco Control. Which is pretty dang bad. If you live in the US, you can check here for your area's grade.

Have the results shocked you? I know they shocked me when I found out about the area I live in. From what I understand, of the 3-4 categories you get graded on, we received 4 points in ONLY ONE--the rest have zero points--for a grade in that subcategory of a D. Which makes our ultimate grade with something like 4/76 points an F. I couldn't even imagine scoring that low on any test I've taken in my life so I don't know how its okay for the place that I live to score so low when it adversely affects so many people!

Out of interest is grading from the number of Tobacco related deaths (i.e lung cancer) .

In the part of the UK I live the lung cancer rate is amoungst the highest in the UK (and the council area and city next to my town are the worse in the whole of the UK).

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    Out of interest is grading from the number of Tobacco related deaths (i.e lung cancer) .

In the part of the UK I live the lung cancer rate is amoungst the highest in the UK (and the council area and city next to my town are the worse in the whole of the UK).

The grading is based off of three categories: Smoke Free Outdoor Air, Smoke Free Housing, and Reduction of Tobacco Sales, with the ability to gain bonus points based on emerging issues such as flavored tobacco, tobacco samples etc. It doesn't bring the fatality rates or the contraction rates of lung cancer of the area into consideration when giving the grade.

Years
    The grading is based off of three categories: Smoke Free Outdoor Air, Smoke Free Housing, and Reduction of Tobacco Sales, with the ability to gain bonus points based on emerging issues such as flavored tobacco, tobacco samples etc. It doesn't bring the fatality rates or the contraction rates of lung cancer of the area into consideration when giving the grade.

Oh ok, I would be interested in how towns in the UK would rate. Interesting how the grading takes into count both the local government (smoke free zones, laws that encourage or discourage tobacco sales) and the individual (smoke free homes).

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    Oh ok, I would be interested in how towns in the UK would rate. Interesting how the grading takes into count both the local government (smoke free zones, laws that encourage or discourage tobacco sales) and the individual (smoke free homes).

When they refer to smoke free housing, it is in regard to things like apartment complexes and condominiums. Especially ones that have shared common areas like laundry rooms, hallways, lobbies, rec rooms etc. That being said, it does ONLY take into account the LAWS regarding this--and not company policy that might also prevent these things from happening.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
    If I got a nickel for everytime someone complains about them being broke when they spend $20-30 a week on cigs then I'd be rich. Idk if they realized it yet; but if they didn't smoke I'm sure they wouldn't be as broke because they wouldn't be spending all that money on cigarettes. People who are addicted can stop, it's all a mind state. They say they wanna quit yet they do nothing to help their addiction meaning they don't really wanna quit. I've seen people quit cold turkey after smoking for years. My grandpa used to smoke like a chimney, he had a carton of smokes threw all but one pack away and by the end of the week he only smoked 2 cigarettes and threw it away and said, "I don't need this". So when someone say's they're addicted and wanna quit but come up with excuses I don't even bother to believe them. I don't mind that people smoke, but I think they're stupid for doing so if they can barely afford them and I don't want the smoke around me.

As for illegalizing cigarettes, no. The government already has enough control of us as is. But I wouldn't mind if they made it illegal to smoke indoors everywhere or places enclosed where people are exposed to it. Outside, it's hard to get exposed to the second hand smoke so I don't see a point in banning smokers from smoking outside.

As for marijuana, it's completely different. I smoke marijuana on occasions (used to be a chronic smoker when I dealed) because it gives you a nice relaxing sensation that you can't get anywhere else. When I'm stressed or in major pain I just light up and let the miracle plant work it's magic, non marijuana users THINK they know about marijuana but they know nothing. I don't see why it's illegal, it has no reason to. Safer than cigarettes yet it's illegal, makes no sense. I've been smoking marijuana for years and I'm as healthy as a horse. So I don't see the big deal.

Last edited:

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Smoking is fine. I don't think I have inhaled second-hand cigarette smoke in a very long time. I find people are usually quite respectful of other's choice not to smoke cigarettes, and typically smoke their cigs somewhere they won't intrude on too many people. If it doesn't bother me, I won't bother you. It's your body and you do what you want with it. I can see why somebody might like to smoke - it gives an immediate sense of relaxation. It's a downer that works almost instantaneously and you can really feel it. And it doesn't last very long, either.

As far as smoking illegal herbs, again, it's your life. Or, in this case, my own. I'll either get a serene feeling of relaxation when smoking weed or get a fuzzy sense of difference (precise, I know). I enjoy it and who are you to tell me not to? I don't drive under the influence, I don't threaten under the influence. No one is endangered when I smoke weed. The only thing I'm doing wrong is empowering the black market on some sort of level. I don't know if what I buy comes from a grower in my own city, or the Mexican cartel. I sure hope it's an indie grower in my own city, but either way I don't have much control over that. But we all know who does!!! :)

Back