• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sneasel vs. Nyura

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
  • (and no, before you ask! This isn't a pokemon vs pokemon thead!)

Simple question: do you sometimes prefer calling certain pokemon by their Japanese names, instead of their English names? Or do you completely perfer English Pokemon names?

For example, I'm more tempted to call Conckledurr: Rooposhin, its Japanese name, and I really like calling Sneasel: Nyrua (if the title says it enough).

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I was fooled :(

I've never done the Japanese name thing, cause I never got into a game enough to learn the Japanese names before the English came out. Even with Black and White I only knew the word Isshu before they came out in America so I never really use Japanese names. xD

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Shikijika is the only one I really call by its Japanese name, and Crimgan. XD

Past generation Pokemon I don't know their names, soo :x Except like Bulbasaur and Squirtle. Oh and Torchic. OKAY THAT'S ALL.

But yeah English for the rest :)

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Ha. I tend to still call Snivy and Oshawott, Tsutarja and Mijumaru. I like those names much more anyway.

Other than that, I just get way more used to the english names due to the anime and games.

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
  • I never watched the Japanese Pokemon, only dubbed, so I don't even know the Japanese names...And I don't think I want to re-watch the japanese one to memorize another 649 names D:

So I prefer the English names, at least they seem vivid....

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • I try and memorize Japanese names, until they are released in English then I don't care enough to remember their Japanese names.

Juzey

I love Shaymin!!!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2012
    Don't know most Japanese names, so I always call them by their English names. Always call Isshu Isshu though, it just sound much better.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    no because i am not a giant weeaboo and i dont like unnecessarily confusing people who aren't the circle of devoted pokemon followers that memorise every last name

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2012
    No, I generally try to stick with the english names. Although, I do think some of the changes were silly. Braviary versus Wargle...I think I know which one is more bad ass.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2014
    I tend to lean more toward the English names mainly because I don't really know any of the Japanese names.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
  • I prefer the English names, I find it hard pronouncing the Japanese names >.<'' But I keep mistaking Tepig for Pokabu in English :P

The Nightmare

"I fight for what I belive in"
    Years
  • I would prefer the engilsh names to say the pokemon names easier but sometimes the japanse names are better, so I would choose both of them.

Years
  • The only Pokemon that I use the Japanese name for is Mijumaru, but it's not on purpose, I just forget it's actually named Oshawott. Sometimes I'll nickname a Pokemon as it's Japanese name, but I'll still refer to it as its English name.

Years
  • When the pokemon are first released ill call their japanese names but when the english names come out i always will call them by their english name after that

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I usually go with English, but with Pokemon (and characters) that I've learned in Japanese first or gotten used to calling by their Japanese names... I'll use those often. Also, in the anime, I use Japanese names when referring to the original and English when referring to the dub. Dent, Mijumaru, Maggyo, Yanappu, Ishizumai, Tsutarja, Pokabu, etc... I definitely prefer using those over their English names.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
    Years
  • I refer to a few pokemon by their nipponese names (mostly the Unova starters and a few others). I was always introduced to the starters as Mijumaru (the nickname of my Samurott :P), Tsutarja and Tepig, and I was used to them by the time the english names came out.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    If I refer to a pokemon in Japanese, they all need to be named by their Japanese names, or else it just seems out of place to me. And I can't remember all the Japanese names, so I just use the English names.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I've never had any preferences, well except maybe using the English names more than the Japanese ones. But come on, I'm not Japanese and I don't even understand Japanese that much, and it'd just make no sense if I run around and yell Japanese Pokemon names since they're "better" and that the English names doesn't make sense.

And 'sides, they all mean the same thing anyways.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I use the English names for the Pokemon. I use the Japanese names for the Pokemon only when they haven't been released in the US yet and start calling them by their English names when they're revealed.

Last edited:

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
  • I tend to call most of the Gen 5 pokes by their Japanese names because they sound better, imo, and I kinda got used to it. >n<;; However, I don't call the previous gen pokes by their Jap names because I don't know them D:

Back