• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen So my Silver Version's battery just died :(

GXS

<---Following Red ;P
Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2012
    Today, for the first time in over a year, i decided to fire up my old Silver version That I got from my parrent christmas 2000, and to my suprise "Continue" Did not show up. I then realized that my internal battery had run dry. I had over 160 hours on it and it was the first videogame i had ever owned.

Im thinking about getting it repaired just so i can play it all over again, so what im asking is:

Do you think it is worth going through the trouble of getting it repaired? I have a gameboy and id much rather have MY original cartridge than use an Emulator or something.

And im not asking how to repair it or if i can save it or anything. I know the answer to both of those questions, just trying to find out what other fans of the second gen would do if they were in my situation.

GXS

<---Following Red ;P
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2012
    Yeah, I know my save is permanently lost but i think im gonna play through it again, for old times sake. Ive had so many memories with that game, the last place i was was saffron over in kanto, sad just thinking about how i lost the save :(

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2014
    I think you should definitely get a new battery put in it, Silver is a great game.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Most of the GB version of Pokemon Silver are worth less than expected these days. It's better to buy a fresh copy than having to spend money on replacing a dead save battery.

GXS

<---Following Red ;P
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2012
    I have soul silver and a rom, the main deliema here was it being my first ever gift and wanting to keep the original, well i just got it all set up for repair and payed for the parts, its just to big a part of my childhood to let go ha

GXS

<---Following Red ;P
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2012
    I was Actually looking online to buy a monster brain when i found out that my game died :(

GXS

<---Following Red ;P
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2012
    That sucks, GXS... I'm really sorry you didn't buy it in time. But that's what happens from time to time.

I actually see Monster Brain as something every RBY GSC gamer should have, and that's just for the backup capabilities. The cheating stuff is just a bonus.

Anyhow, you can buy brand new ones from the internet for as little as 3-4 dollars. I bought mine from a place called Game Liquidations.

And if you don't have it it's not that bad creating new memories with new playthroughs. It's actually very fun!

@ ZachLMedia- I noticed my Gold was dying on me when the internal clock started to act up. I think that's when you should be on the watch and prepare for changing the battery. I panicked a little, but eventually I came to my senses when I realized I had a backup device.

I'm not trying to act smug or advertise or anything here, by the way, I'm just trying to help, I don't want anyone to get the wrong picture.

Nah dont worry you were just being helpful, i knew i was on borrowed time with my game and kinda put off trying to back it up, maybe other people whos games are dying will see your post and look into getting a monster brain to save their games, so it's good that you let other people know how you saved you saves

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2012
    What kind of watch battery does the game use? Is it just like changing the battery in a watch? If you had a friend or family member that worked there, you could try taking it to a local hardware or jewelry store. I also don't know how much the batteries cost or if they are typically stocked :/

XDragonRiderX

Time flies.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2021
    That sucks, GXS... I'm really sorry you didn't buy it in time. But that's what happens from time to time.

I actually see Monster Brain as something every RBY GSC gamer should have, and that's just for the backup capabilities. The cheating stuff is just a bonus.

EVERY GAMER WHO HAS R/B/Y AND/OR G/S/C NEEDS A BACKUP DEVICE.
    My Red died just a day ago. I saw a Monster Brain for sale, but didn't buy it. Then, when playing Stadium 2, it erased my file. 200 hours down the drain. :'(

Ataraxia

Wanderer
    Years
  • Definitely get it repaired! My Crystal died on me in the same way a few months ago, and I still haven't gotten around to repairing it.
    I will at some point though, loading up a cartridge you've had for years into an old GBC or GBA is so awesome!
    NOSTALGIA! :D

Flashmeteor

Awkward silences are the best.
    Years
  • I can emulate GBC games on my DS, so no internal battery issue for me. Since it's still on a console, I think I still have 97% of the gaming experience. :D I don't see anything wrong with using emulators to be rid of never having to replace another internal battery.

GXS

<---Following Red ;P
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2012

EVERY GAMER WHO HAS R/B/Y AND/OR G/S/C NEEDS A BACKUP DEVICE.
    My Red died just a day ago. I saw a Monster Brain for sale, but didn't buy it. Then, when playing Stadium 2, it erased my file. 200 hours down the drain. :'(

Yeah its a horrible feeling when you realize your game you spent so much time on died

Years
  • Something like this happened to me. I turned on my Crystal game after over a few years, and I saw the continue in the menu gone. However, I didnt now the battery died. It's been a few days already, and I'm able to save the Crystal game still (except everytime I turn on the game, the times of day is never saved and I can change it)

Does this mean the crystal game battery will restart the game again soon?

GXS

<---Following Red ;P
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2012
    Something like this happened to me. I turned on my Crystal game after over a few years, and I saw the continue in the menu gone. However, I didnt now the battery died. It's been a few days already, and I'm able to save the Crystal game still (except everytime I turn on the game, the times of day is never saved and I can change it)

Does this mean the crystal game battery will restart the game again soon?

Yeah mine did that too, it will delete soon again :/

Frisky Arcanine

Jumpluff Hugger
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2011
    Man, I had two copies of Crystal left, and I lost both of them =/ I REALLY want to play 'em, too. Using an emulator is just not the same; pokemon games are awful on the computer, and I don't alternative means. I'm definitely considering getting another copy now, but I know I'm going to have to change the battery around. Have you found out how much it costs to replace?

And Martian, I know you've done battery replacements, would you say they're easy at all?

GXS

<---Following Red ;P
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2012
    So Good news all, I got my game back and it is in full working condition! I ended up finding someone reputable online with expierence in fixing dry gbc batterys and he did a good job replaceing it.

Thanks for everyones help and opinions, I really appreciate it.

Back