• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

So THAT'S how you say it!

Years
    The title of this thread is pretty much my response every time I see the anime or the "Who's That Pokémon?" bit in the middle of it lol, there's so many names I get wrong haha xD

I think it depends very much on how you normally pronounce certain vowels etc, like to me Mightyena sounds like "Mighty-eena" as opposed to how it's meant to sound which I think is "Mighty-eh-na" lol :) Sometimes the anime helps with pronunciation (like with the puzzlement that was Suicune haha) but there are others like Mightyena which I remain stubborn on lol :)

Bobbylicious

Banned
    Years
    There are probably more, but I remember when ruby and sapphire first came out, I didn't know how to pronounce makuhita, namely. Excuse it's name was too long and I was too lazy to read it all and I was like 8 or 9 and I think I pronounced it mar-ku-ta, I didn't know it's proper name until it appeared in the anime. I knew I was pronouncing it wrong all along though, so now sure if that counts.

Ok I remembered more.
    I pronounced jirachi as Ji-ra-kai
    Raikou as rai-koo (not that huge a deal)

Most of the ones I have trouble with are 5th gen Pokemon. I was in japan a few weeks after 5th gen came out over there, so I bought a copy whilst I was there, and it really helped me learn the Japanese names of the 5th gen Pokemon, so when thppthey came out in English, as I'd already played it I basically just spammed A so I never really learned half the English names for fifth gen. Most of the time I have to think a little bit when I hear the English name because I'm not familiar with it.
    Even when I have to type a fifth gen pokemons name, I almost always type it's Japanese name and then I'm like "o rite" and if it an remember it's English name I'll change it, if not then I'll have to google it.

But yeah, that's basically the only ones I have, I've always found my inability to pronounce 5th English names interesting tbh

Op waiti remembered another when I was reading through the thread.
    I pronounced groudon as groo-don and kyogre as Kai-oga-ree and then when my friends were pronouncing them differently I was like "yea groodon is it's name before it's awakened, and when you awaken it it's called groudon, and it's called kaiogaree before it's awakened, and kyogre after it's been awakened" lol good times

Also think I used to pronounce meganium as meg-nanium and banette as ban-a-tee
    O yea and ofc arceus as ar-see-us and regice as regi-ice (I still pronounce ipthese as ar-see-us and regi-ice coz yolo)

Last edited:
    Years
    For Rattata, I still say "Rat-tatta" instead of "Radada".

I also used to say "Ook-see" instead of "Youk-see" for Uxie, until I saw the anime.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    It's been a while since I watched the anime so I honestly can't remember how they're really supposed to be pronounced ... I just pronounce them how I see them being said. xD Notable ones, though, include the weather trio. The second a of Rayquaza, I used to pronounce it as a short a instead of a long one, Groudon was Gru-don and Kyogre was Kyo-gre instead of Kayoger.

Flow So Gorgeous

Flipping Awesome
    Years
    As a kid, I never knew when to stop when pronouncing Rattata. It would end up being something like "Rattatatata" or "Rattatat." Also, I didn't know Seadra's name, so I called it Ernt.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
    I speak french so imagine me try to pronounce a pokemon name XD
    A lot of pokemon aren't prononced the same way here XD Like one of my friend say "I-VEE" for Eevee (but I say E-VE)
    Thanks to the anime I know now how to pronounce some names, like Frogadier (we used to say Fro-ga-di-é, but it's Fro-ga-di-ere"

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I think the only pokemon I pronounced incorrectly (and I still do) is Giratina. I seem to pronounce it Jiratina...

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    The only name I ever remember pronouncing wrong was Suicune. I still have no idea how to pronounce Dragalge or Dedenne, or if I even spelled the first one correctly.

Back