• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Something I'd like to see...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalylia

Pokemon Breeder
Years
Okay, I don't mean to be harsh around here or anything, but I'm an old time PCer. I realize that this account isn't very old, but I was around long before I started this one. And I remember a time when almost every RP on PC was full of long, delicious posts and plots. I remember when twists and turns were around every corner, and everyone stuck with every RP they began.

And now, it seems all of that has gone away.

Posts are short, sometimes less than a line in length. There is no detail, no feeling behind most RPs. People sign-up and then never start, or go for three pages and drop out in the middle of something important.

I'd like to see this change.

I would love to see an RP Guild get set up. Something along those lines, anyways. I'd like to see something that gets "good" RPers together and lets them pair up with newer people to the scene or those looking to improve their skills. Once paired, there could be one on one work. We could even set up one huge RP to let them grow and learn in.

What do you guys think?

Amy-chan

Has vacated the premises
Years
You have some interesting points there, and some excellent ideas regarding how to improve roleplaying on PC. I agree with you; I, too, am rather disappointed by the way the quality of posts in PC's RP sections seems to have fallen to an all-time low. I miss the way things used to be in the RP forums. Perhaps your suggestions would be helpful in restoring RPs around here to their former glory.

There is a thread called The RP Faction in the Group Discussions branch of Other Chat. It seems a bit similar to your concept of a RP guild, but I have a bad feeling it's dead.

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
Years
Hm...I always knew they were better before (unless you are talking about a different time) But anyways...there was a thread similar to this. A thread that um...an admin made I think. Anyways it tried to get a group of rpers to actually finish an rp (sad, no?) without it dieing.

Now that I think of it though...when has an rp ever finished? I put the blame on the people that sign-up and then don't even begin. And worse; the people that do rp for a while, but then drop out. And, worse case scenario, you cannot get anywhere until that character posts; so therefor, the thread has no choice to die.

Sad, really. =/

But yeah, I just wish it can go back to when I was rping with my old friends T_V Posts were long then, and we really got into it at some points.

Now is....now is good, but I still liked it more back then..

Kalylia

Pokemon Breeder
Years
These are the reasons I want to see that get set up again. The thing being, I know it's been tried in the past, but there hasn't been enough interest. We need to get people interested. Good RPers and newer ones alike. Also, the thread needs to be in each one of the RP forums, not in the Group Disscussions area. Most of the RPers that need some help aren't in there, and if they are, they don't join. In a best case scenario with my idea, there would be two seperate RPs, both with an amount of RPers deemed "good" by, well, probably the RP mods, and pleanty of those who need some help. These threads would be stickied at the top and ALWYAS open for new sign-ups.

As for when an RP has actually finished? Well, WAAY back when I was known as Mew13, We finished two full years of THe Pokemon Academy and I think three years of The Midsadventures at Hogwarts.

One Charmed Dude

♥~*~♥Charmed One♥~*~♥
Years
You know you are right when some people reply to ny threads they're so short, i wonder if they are telling the truth!!!And also i have a question, what in the world is an RP? I see it all over the pc and have absolutey no idea or clue to what it is to be a RP!!! I'm probalay sounding like a total moron not knowing what it is, but can you tell me please?

NO SERIOUSLY WHAT IS AN RP???????????????????????????????????????

Last edited:

Amy-chan

Has vacated the premises
Years
RP stands for roleplay. Maybe you should check out this if you still don't fully understand, as it probably explains it better than I could. Note, however, that some of the types of roleplaying listed in that index NEVER take place here. I hope I helped, One Charmed Dude.

Kalylia

Pokemon Breeder
Years
*sighs* Okay... if you don't know what an RP is... I don't know why you'd be posting here in the first place...

Anyways, here is the ultimate question. How many people do you think we need to get interested before a mod will stickied the suggested threads.

One Charmed Dude

♥~*~♥Charmed One♥~*~♥
Years
Yes Thank You, You Did Help A Lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, i think you would need a lot of people. You would probaly need about 20 or mabey as few as 10 because they can spresd the word!!!

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
Years
one charmed dude you shouldn't of even spammed in here in the frist place -0-.

On topic now, you don't want too many people to join, but you will need a quite a few.

The reason is if you have too many, then the rp will most likely get too over crowdid, possibly leaving a few behind with all other posts, or if one gets confused by too many characters. I was afraid of that almost happening to my Mightyena rp (thank god it didn't though lol)

But you also can't have too little, because then what happens if someone has to leave for a few days? Or what if someone decides to drop out?

Or what if the rp just dies from not having enough? x_X

These things also have to be considered. =/

Kalylia

Pokemon Breeder
Years
This is true, and also why I consider the idea of setting up a place for people to come and just pair up one-on-one. You can RP over MSN or through PMs or whatever. That way, we wouldn't run the risk of too few or too many. And if all the work was done one-on-one, the pair could go at a pace that works for them.

I don't know, I guess it depends on what works better in the raising-interest area.

Years
the Academy was nice... I was in that rp from the verryyyy beginning, it was awsome. We should start another one this year...

What if we had a community rp? Sort of like... An rp with no REAL plot (I've tried this before, and mods have always locked them because of just that; it had no plot)

You see, the way I looked at it was that in every rp, the plot is really just an outline... and then depending on character's actions, twists and turns arise. That's what makes rps interesting!

The community rp idea would sort of work like this:

The setting would be a... small community! Set up an area, maybe by the water. Maybe it's in secluded area? Maybe it's an urban metropolis!

bring some main areas... Cafes, schools, malls... Places where people can rp within the community.

Every now-and-then, have a community event... I don't know what it could be... In December, have a christmas party! In the summer, have a beach-party... Maybe make up different holidays and festivals. Give the community some history, or let the rpers create the town's history!

Each Rper might control a person, a family, siblings, whatever.

The purpose: It would be an on-going rp. New Rpers would rp in it, and older Rpers would rp in it as well. As this rp continues, Rpers can comment on each other's posts, and would eventually help each other grow into fantastic rpers! I don't see why there would be any reason for an Rper NOT to join the rp... It could be a HUGE Rp, and could bring together the Rpers themselves! Some people might feel uneasy Rping with people they've never Rped with. This way, everyone knows each other... Or at least everyone that takes part.

Gee... I don't know if I made any sense, but hopefully you all understand! If it was too sloppy, just tell me, and I'll write up a more formal, organised proposal... Just a suggestion

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
Years
Well it does sound cool, but I...don't really think it would...GO anywhere o_O

Like say, if you did have a plot and a problem within the story. See then the characters actualy aim for SOMETHING, instead of just like, posting random things and spamming up the thread. idk. Maybe I'm wrong x_X I just like rps to have plots..I think the better the plot the less spammy an rp is...and thats kinda true. O_X

Kalylia

Pokemon Breeder
Years
I think what RT is trying to get across is the fact that with something like a training RP, adding in a plot might complicate things. I mean, if the objective is to teach newbie RPers to roleplay better, I don't think a plot is necissary. Just letting the characters interact in a normal setting might actually be good, as it's something universal, everyone's familiar with it. That way, the focus can be more on the skill of the RPers. Those skills learned can be taken to OTHER RPs with actual plots. But for the training ones, something simplistic would be best.

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
I totally agree. I think that's a great idea, and this massive RP idea is a very good one, because unlike before with the RP partner master apprentice thing, this one will actually let RPer's that aren't as good as others learn while working on a real RP, instead of just getting criticized and getting told to do this and that over PM.

I vote yes for this idea!

And, a plot would indeed complicate things, although, I think we should have one plotless RP, and one plotted RP. Plots make RPer's follow a certain road, and that can seriously help when learning how to RP properly.

A plotless RP can be used to simply hone grammar and capitalization skills, description and the such.

The plotted RP can have a simple plot that is easy to follow and is flexible, while still leading the RPer's somewhere, instead of everyone wandering around aimlessly.

Just suggestions, but here's another one:

Wouldn't it be fun if we had a journey plot roleplay, and had professional RPer's play as important people, like gym leaders and the such? Then the newer roleplayers can get a taste of how gym battles should take place within their own posts (so that they don't become, 'hyper beam pichu, go! Yes! We won!' < <;; Actually, that's a really scary line, but anywho) It would also give them a taste of a battle that isn't entirely controlled by one person, and it would help with lowering the endurance of their pokemon, and how powerful their attacks are.

(Ever seen a battling roleplay where the pichu just got battered by a hyper beam, a hydro pump, and a dragon rage, and is still unscathed? Those are scary.)

Years
(so that they don't become, 'hyper beam pichu, go! Yes! We won!' < <;; Actually, that's a really scary line, but anywho)

LOL.

Yeah, I like that idea! Having 2 Rps... Or having like a loose, basic sort of plot. Anyhow, at least I've sparked some ideas, so I feel special, haha

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
Years
RPer co-operation? Yeah, there was some guy around here (can't remember his name. xP) who was trying to set up some kind of discussion or the other a while back, but that was the time when my keyboard and mouse decided to go haywire so I really don't have a clue about what became of that. o.O

And yes, there is the RPing faction, but last I checked that thing was pretty dead so, nyah, I'm not to keen on that bit. Those coalition-type things only get the members who happen to stumble in.

Moving on...community RPs I've heard of, yes. But I've only attended one and the result was quite far from satisfactory due to a certain destructive PvP battle. (Someone here might know what I'm talking about. <<) Contrary to intuition, plotless RPs are actually very tricky to maneuver around in. Imagine our newbie RPer sitting there in front of his/her computer screen with only a description of the area and concept of the RP in front of him/her. I guarantee you, there's going to be something along the lines of

Joe walked down the road. "What a beautiful day." said Joe, smiling.

OOC: Like, I dunno what to post.

To just start carving out your own plots and schemes in an environment created by someone else requires quite a bit of confidence in one's own skills, and I'm not so sure that all newbie RPers can live up to that. I think a simple and flexible plotline (Bell's suggestion sounds good to me) would be easier, because with the experienced RPers making sure that the story follows a plot of sorts and consequently ensuring that no-one gets left out (This tends to happen in too freeform RPs), the newbies could focus on building up their writing skills (Not to mention having people to ask advice from) and learning what good RPing is like, what they need to improve etc. (I know I missed this kind of feedback during my own newbie days) and isn't that the key point of a newbie-friendly RP? Learning how to build plots and subplots is all well and good, but one must learn how to walk before learning to run.

Incidentally, a new year of Pokémon Academy could work towards that end too. Think about it, it's a fairly simple, rather aimless setting to begin with (This is what you were aiming for, ne? Please tell me if my reasoning is failing somewhere.) but it would definitely attract experienced RPers (Nostalgic people from the previous years etc.) and newbies sign up for just about anything, so that isn't really a problem. Besides, who could deny the deep symbolism of teaching newbies in a school environment? That place has history...real history, not just the kind you make up on your own to make your setting look less shallow and artificial, and I think that could appeal to newer RPers. I remember it coming around back in my first summer of PC membership but getting closed because of attendance problems and a computer ban. *Stabs real life* ;;__;; But on the flip side, it's vintage. And I understand if it would feel wrong to use it for teaching members of questionable skill. Just something for you to ponder. ^^

Loki

x
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2024
Hey, on the note of 'Pokemon Academy', this could be sort of like an 'RPer's Academy', and we could pick a really really good RPer to be the 'teacher' in which they would be the RP Master, and watch the newbie RPer's with a close eye, while having one or two helpers that are in the RP itself. (hehe, to intimidate the newbie's with super long posts? xDD)

There could be different subjects, like, 'Description', 'Grammar', 'Spelling', 'Capitalization', 'Post Length:Quality & Quantity'. Or, there could be different 'ranks'. Like, Beginner would be the Grammar and Spelling. (Or capitalization, but I personally would prefer to read a post with no caps and good spelling/grammar.) Then there could be Intermediate which would focus on description, (since that is a must that I've been seeing dwindling around here. *raises hand* Guilty on all charges) and a Master level would work on legthening the posts while using all those elements at the same time.

Now, some might say that, if all those were seperate RP's, that'd be too many RP's to work with, and they'd get confused! Well, first off, newb's are new, but they're not nessiccarily stupid. < <;; And by giving them a lot of RP's to work with, they'll learn how to juggle their time in making long posts when they've got a chock-full of RP's to post in. (I found that difficult in my newbie days, because there were so many RP's that I wanted to join, but could never find the time to post elaborate and neat posts in.)

How's that idea sound to you guys?

Oh yeah! And, in the academy learning session, I vote yes to adding a 'Plot writing' subject to it. o O;; Plot's that aren't too long for the newest newbie people to read/be intimidated by, but aren't too short that nobody knows what they're doing.

And the reason I'm talking about intimidation is because in one of the RP's I was in, there were 3 really great RPer's (excuse me if I flatter myself, but by great I mean length of posts) and 1 really n00b rper. Now I'm not saying the person was a n00b themselves, I'm saying that they used asterisks and hyphens for actions. < <;; And yes, this n00b was capable of getting embarrassed that he was sort of like, having zero effect on the roleplay while three people were posting paragraphs and paragrahs, while he was posting one-liners. So he left. At the moment, I was like, 'yes! finally!' but now that I think about it, he would've been very dedicated to the RP, but was too embarrassed to continue with so many people that were obviously pitying him. >.< So there should be time to fix that problem here, because I don't want to see anybody at PC embarrassed because their RPing skills aren't as good as anyone elses. (Although I find that rarely happens. < <;; )

Of course, that was at a different forum where one-liners are freakishly allowed, but here, it seems all the n00b RPer's don't realize...they're n00b RPer's. < <;; (In a way, I think I'm insulting myself, but in another way, I don't think I'm insulting myself. xDD)

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
Years
Yeah, I really like the idea of having an RP for new RPers to learn in would be nice. It would be nice to cut back on the amount of newcomers that are either confused or lacking in skills. Some of the RPs I have been in on here I've lost interest in because of the spamming/poor quality posts. It's no fun to post in an RP with people who are intimidating, and it's also no fun to post in an RP with people who don't know what to do.

Suffice it to say, I know I'm not the best RPer out there, and my posts can sometimes get lazy... ^-^; but I think that this idea will not only help new people, but those of us that are acceptable but still learning. After all, there's no better way to learn something than to teach it to someone else.

But, Bell, I don't know about how many people would want to participate in an RPer's Academy... they might find it a bit boring. I mean, it would end up being more like school and less like fun time on the computer at home. I think the best way to go about would be to include those things/lessons under the guise of a normal RPG.

I have a final comment: if you do start this thing up, make a banner for it. That way participants can put the banner in their sigs and viola! Free advertising! XD

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
Years
Yeah, I really like the idea of having an RP for new RPers to learn in would be nice. It would be nice to cut back on the amount of newcomers that are either confused or lacking in skills. Some of the RPs I have been in on here I've lost interest in because of the spamming/poor quality posts. It's no fun to post in an RP with people who are intimidating, and it's also no fun to post in an RP with people who don't know what to do.

Suffice it to say, I know I'm not the best RPer out there, and my posts can sometimes get lazy... ^-^; but I think that this idea will not only help new people, but those of us that are acceptable but still learning. After all, there's no better way to learn something than to teach it to someone else.

But, Bell, I don't know about how many people would want to participate in an RPer's Academy... they might find it a bit boring. I mean, it would end up being more like school and less like fun time on the computer at home. I think the best way to go about would be to include those things/lessons under the guise of a normal RPG.

I have a final comment: if you do start this thing up, make a banner for it. That way participants can put the banner in their sigs and viola! Free advertising! XD

Kalylia

Pokemon Breeder
Years
Well, now that you're a mod, Bell, you HAVE the power to get this started!!

And, I very much agree with the banner and free advertising banner. *smiles softly* And hey, if you don't have the time to get a plot and things going, PM me and let me know and I'd be glad to get things rolling if you'll provide the sticky!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back