• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spirited Away

Sean Fury

It's tricky
    Years
    Spirited Away is a fantasy adventure with a ten year-old girl, which starts in everyday Japan but goes somewhere very different. For young Chihiro and her family, a mysterious tunnel and haunted town lead to the Land of Spirits, inhabited by gods and monsters and ruled by the greedy witch Yu-baba. Chihiro's parents are transformed into pigs; to rescue them, she must surrender her name and serve in this world. Luckily she finds friends and allies, including the handsome but mysterious boy Haku. Initially sulky and listless, Chihiro (or Sen, as she's now called) finds inner strengths and establishes an identity in this strange world. But can she win back her name and return home?

--------------------------------------------

The greatest director in the world, in my opinion (Miyazaki Hayao)! This movie nearly tops every Englsih one I've ever seen, PERIOD! The artwork in this movie is enough to make you cry; the animation is so realistic, espically how Chihiro acts, and the way she runs is almost exactly identical to that of a ten year-old girl! The characters are creative, the storyline is fantastic, the music fits perfectly...and oh, did I mention Haku will own you all? I didn't know his name at first, so I called him Trunks for awhile (because of his hair anyway) Anyway, Haku is awesome, espically with that ability to transform into a dragon...an awesome looking dragon at that, I don't want to give anymore away so I'll stop.

Skye

a dreamer...
    Years
    It really is a fantastic movie. If you liked it you should check out Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke, and Kiki's Delivery Service! All are excellent, and by Miyazaki. I also heard Grave of the Fireflies was good, but I have yet to see it!

Sean Fury

It's tricky
    Years
    I LOVED Kiki's Delivary Service and Princess Monoke, I've wanted to see Grave of Fireflies and Castle in the Sky for a long time now. But, how was Castle in the Sky?

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    I've only seen two Miyazaki movies, those being Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke, and both were better than any American animated film I'd ever seen...his attention to detail and plot is amazing...Spirited Away is the most artistic movie I've ever seen. Disney is nothing compared to Studio Ghibli. Anyway, Spirited Away is one of my all-time favorite movies.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Sadly, I've only seen Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke, but Miyazaki is AMAZING. As for the last few years I've aspired to be an animator, his work is very inspiring. =3 I love how everything is so realistically done, and I first noticed when Chihiro put her shoes on at some point in the movie and tapped her toe on the ground to get them on properly. o_o I've seen kids do that plenty of times. It's just amazing.

Er... I lied. I saw about half of My Neighbour Totoro (or whatever it's called) one day, but it was in Japanese without subtitles, so I didn't understand most of it. ._. Besides that, people were being loud so I couldn't hear anyway. =\

Sean Fury

It's tricky
    Years
    The artwork in all his movies is so amazing, but I really think Spirited Away is the best he's done. The artwork is so finely tuned, that even the leaves are perfectly done, the sand and dirt is so beautiful, that you could even compare that to the beautiul sky art in the movie. The only thing I disliked, was the unrealistic shadows, they were kinda just...blobs. :/

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Ya it's one of his best work's but i think that the "spirited Heart" Spin off he's working oon is going to be way better...i loved the rat in the movie man i wish i had the englsih version.

Skye

a dreamer...
    Years
    Castle in the Sky was really phenominal, though I must agree that Spirited Away was one of the best I have ever seen. The animation in Castle in the Sky is not as well done, but I think it is an earlier film than Spirited Away, so that may explain it. I do believe, however, that Grave of the Fireflies may be the best, though I have yet to see it. Also, the anime movie Metropolis (not sure who it is by) is also a fantastic movie, and if you like Miyazaki, you'll love this too!!

Deoxys55

Deoxys Collector
    Years
    blue said:
    Ya it's one of his best work's but i think that the "spirited Heart" Spin off he's working oon is going to be way better...i loved the rat in the movie man i wish i had the englsih version.
    If you mean an english Spirited Away they do have one

Charocal

Pokemon Fan
    Years
    This I had to say was totally awesome. I liked the part where the baby is turned into a hamster and the bird into a tiny little bird. The artwork is phenomenal. I would defiantly say if you havn't seen this movie you should really watch it.

Cherrim

Years
    Deoxys55 said:
    If you mean an english Spirited Away they do have one
    Yeah, he means he wants that one. ^_^; Although, I must say, I highly prefer the Japanese version. Chihiro's voice really irks me in the dubbed version. =\ It's too high pitched and whiny if you ask me.

:3 I loved the little sootballs or whatever they were. They're so adorable~ I'd much rather have those under my bed than dustbunnies. XD

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    not only a great movie, but also a barely edited version of the original...truly amazing

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    digispirit virus said:
    not only a great movie, but also a barely edited version of the original...truly amazing

Odd...I thought that the people who bring Miyazaki-san's movies to America promised to not edit anything from them...I thought that was a big part of the deal o_O

Cherrim

Years
    It was uncut, but Disney (the company who brought it over) didn't advertise it well enough because they wanted to promote their new movie Lilo & Stitch over Spirited Away. I think they got their Just Deserts when the "underdog" won best animated feature. =3

Back