• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pysncrono

Spriter / UU Battler
Years
  • I really like the small versions of Sugimori art, if thats what they are, coz they dont like ingame sprites too much...

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Here is a charmeleon sprite i'm working on
    It's the first i've ever done really.

I'm having the hardest time learning to shade.
    Any pointers?
    I think the best way to learn how to shade with pokemon sprites is to look at already existing sprites and try to emulate them, at least while you begin.

but first you need to remove all the jpg artifacts from the original image, go over the outline in a single colour (i.e. black) and go from there. Same with your squirtle.

Years
  • But i never even saved it as a jpg.
    It's in PNG format

EDIT*

You know why it's like that?
    Cause when i flattened the sprite it flattened over the art i was tracing over. haha. my mistake.

Last edited:

Pysncrono

Spriter / UU Battler
    Years
  • So is this thing a wanabe pixel over? Pixel overs look much different and they take a lot of time. Its basically the same as wwhat you are doing, but it involves reshading and colouring with the colours of a sprite. And since you cant eraser trick colour a sugimori artwork, you have to individually select a border and fill in the colours from there.
    I havent done these, but Ive seen some very good ones over at SPPF..

[NovaPirate]

And the rest went riding on.
    Years
  • Well gee, maybe you should start with something easier than a pixel over, because obviously you do not know what a pixel over should look like. The Dragonfly Cave has a nice tutorial on it though.

You'll need a few more shades than that, and maybe a better understanding of shading, which points to starting out with easier sprites.

Years
  • I did trace the outline in black.
    I can show you the trace if i want you to.
    And yeah they need work on shading these were my first attempts.
    I want to get better.

Pyscrono, i didn't just color in someones artwork.
    I went over it in black, then colored it, and attempted to shade.

Pysncrono

Spriter / UU Battler
    Years
  • Yeah, thats what I said. You trace it on, then colour in WITH SHADING using the sprites colours. You should REALLY CHECK out SPPF' especially a thread by WTA.
    I'll try one today and post my result :D

Yume Tsuki

(/ ゚ヮ゚)/彡 ┻━┻
    Years
  • wich one is the revamped one? the left one is too bright for teddyursa and the right one too dark:

Put a DS or GBA sprite next to it. Then you whipe out it's old shading with the colors of your ds/gba sprite then you redo the shading.

Anyway i like the shading of the left one the most ;)

Pysncrono

Spriter / UU Battler
    Years
  • Blazers08:
    To revamp you need to go over the shading COMPLETELY. The body of Teddi soenst have much shading, and I dont think uyou used all the shades needed. But its good for a first, Ive seen much horrible revamp debuts

BTW, here's my OWN Ursaring:
    Revamp-Ursaring.png

Yeah so people said that this was quite good, one of my best even. I changed and added shading patterns and shaded the outline better
    Tell me what you think!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back