• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
    very good your facesprite
    and the silhouette of the body drawing by NiKaNoRoU, fits very well ^ ^
    only now rolling out lack color
    here a girl trainer sprite ^^
    Pretty good, but the clothing seem like a rip-off of Dawn. :/
    Watch the outline on the right part of the hair.
    Also, you can add details to the hands, they're quite generic that way. Good luck!
    Sorry for creating a new thread, I thought this didn't count as a sprite.
    Thank you for the advice Alistair and NiKoNoRoU. I've taken that, and improved it:
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Life boats and an anchor added, lower deck windows improved, windows put back from the wall for more realism and the chimney and pools improved.
    Here's the old one for a comparison:
    Spriters Showcase Thread

@Nicolas: That's really good, I love the style of it and you've got a good palette too.
    @~BrenDan: But too obviously a splice, still quite good though.
    Much, much better (you can call me NiKa if you have trouble spelling my name btw).
    Here guys, my first badge: The Mirror Badge. It's pretty basic, but I'll get better soon. The type it represents is the Normal Type, the Gym Leaders are Lisa & Liza.

Spriters Showcase Thread
    That's uh...pretty plain for a badge. May I do some little editing?
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Well, not really much different, but still.
    My advice: you can get an object to be mirrored in there, or make a more circular shape of the mirror, in order to reduce the size of the glass.
    hmmm.... the pose gave me an idea, just remove the hand and make the body more child-like and it's done! thanks for the idea btw.
    No problem. I wish to see it soon. =]
    Hello fellow members of PC :3
    I have come to you with another crappy sprite :D

Spriters Showcase Thread
    Hey DG!
    Lessee...
    are those feet standing somewhere? if yes, then the pose says no to that. :/
    The eyes and mouth have only one parse of outline, which makes them look like they were drawn AFTER the rest of the sprite was done.
    In contradiction to that, the upper head has a pretty bright outline.
    Is that an eye on the tail? it's not really distinguishing. Maybe you should make it bigger.
    The shading is good, though, the 'blur' is missing. Good job!

Spriters Showcase Thread
    Anyway, what do you think of my latest backsprite. i rushed it, so... xD
    That's okay. As a sprite, I mean.
    But as a backsprite...well, imo, you could make it bigger in the whole, then add shading details on it, and just hide the lower part of the body. That's the principle all backsprites work with.
    Someone please critique this fakemon sprite I just made. It's attached(the blue fox).
    It's the sprite of Kitark, a fakemon made by Ann-Chan1324 for Pokémon Opal.
    I really, really wish I could sprite eyes much better..
    The concept is really good. Maybe you could add some shading to the face, but the rest is what I would expect from you. =]
    Finally, the outline on the tail. Play with it a little. You can make it better, I know oyu can.

P.S: no, you're a great spriter.
    I made a eeveelution :D And gave it a animation :)
    Please tell me what you think!
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    I see Altaria, Arceus...eeeh scratch that.
    Pretty nifty. The face though, doesn't look like it's coming from an Eevee. All I got to say is that, cool sprite.

Well guys, what do you think about this Weavile repose? I think i'm going to animate it and give it to a friend of mine =]
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2010
    Your building completely lacks details and shading.
    Also a colour variety doesn't exist(which has something to do with shading as well).
    And Gen IV doesn't use outlines.

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2021
    Hey DG!
    Lessee...
    are those feet standing somewhere? if yes, then the pose says no to that. :/
    The eyes and mouth have only one parse of outline, which makes them look like they were drawn AFTER the rest of the sprite was done.
    In contradiction to that, the upper head has a pretty bright outline.
    Is that an eye on the tail? it's not really distinguishing. Maybe you should make it bigger.
    The shading is good, though, the 'blur' is missing. Good job!

Thanks, I can't believe you were able to tell the mouth and mini tail details were added after I completed the sprite :o
    And he levitates :)

Sharp observation ;)

Well guys, what do you think about this Weavile repose? I think i'm going to animate it and give it to a friend of mine =]
    Spriters Showcase Thread

I like it :)
    Just 2 things -

The left hand's claws don't look very claw like, maybe make the outline in between them darker?
    And the left foot....just seems off. I tried my best to fix them although I kinda ruined it ^^'

Spriters Showcase Thread

Also a colour variety doesn't exist(which has something to do with shading as well).

What are you talking about? It helps if you quote whom/what your talking to/about and if you only talk about things on the latest page (unless its the first 2-3 posts on that latest page :/)

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
    I like it :)
    Just 2 things -

The left hand's claws don't look very claw like, maybe make the outline in between them darker?
    And the left foot....just seems off. I tried my best to fix them although I kinda ruined it ^^'

Spriters Showcase Thread

I see. I'll try to fix that. But the foot you made isn't the correct stance, so...
    well, I'll just fix the claws.

What are you talking about? It helps if you quote whom/what your talking to/about and if you only talk about things on the latest page (unless its the first 2-3 posts on that latest page :/)
    It's about a thread that was moved here, but apparently something didn't go well. No heed.

KajiVenator

The Flame Huntzman
    Years

I assume you're talking about me, then? So, basically, get rid of the outlines, add details and shading and make a variety of colors? Alright.

Edit: How's it look now?

Here's a side by side comparison.

Last edited:
    Years
    @KajiVenator, your building appears to lack an instinctive amount of depth. Granted, you've structured the lineart, but there are three things that bother me about the colouring.

1. The dodgy shading of the half-globe on the very top of the pyramid-shape, it does not match the form of the outline. The half-globe itself is spherical therefore demands a shade of colour that correlates with the curve of the outline.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Here I've depicted the half-globe and two kinds of shading. The kind of shading you see in the middle section is called "cut up shading" and is not recommended for henagonal shapes, as a henagon simply has one edge, while such shading would only be suitable for a shape that boasts of two or more sides, such as a triangle or a quadrilateral.

2. Your light sourcing is quite confusing in certain parts of the building. From what I can see, the light source is stemming from the top left hand corner of the building, therefore all aspects of the sprite should signify exactly that, but they don't. There are inconsistencies with the shadowing.

The reason for this is the lack of shading in certain areas, and some that could use a darker shade.

Spriters Showcase Thread

The lack of shading on the building contradicts that of the half-globe. Where is that spot of light coming from?

Spriters Showcase Thread

That area of the half-globe is coated in shadow while the P remains completely untouched.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Surely it isn't night time, the sunlight ought to seep somewhere in this area. Imagine a block of lego next to a table lamp. Turn the lamp on and try to figure out what areas of the building AND the ground will illuminate, whether completely or even slightly. Those are the areas you need to consider.

3. The colouring of this entire building is far too simplistic and the pallet itself is questionable, but that's my personal preference. However, I do advise looking at building sprites already in one of the games for a good idea on how to lay out your shading.

So overall, there's room for improvement. But no worries, it's better to keep trying. Nice building, but there are a few areas that do need tweaking.

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
    The concept is really good. Maybe you could add some shading to the face, but the rest is what I would expect from you. =]
    Finally, the outline on the tail. Play with it a little. You can make it better, I know oyu can.

P.S: no, you're a great spriter.

Ok!
    haha, thanks. I'm getting a lot better. ^^
    I actually tried re-doing the eyes right after I posted earlier. It's attached.
    I started the back sprite, but it's not done yet, so the outlines shouldn't be critiqued!(that's all I have to do besides adding shines)

KajiVenator

The Flame Huntzman
    Years
    @KajiVenator, your building appears to lack an instinctive amount of depth. Granted, you've structured the lineart, but there are three things that bother me about the colouring.

1. The dodgy shading of the half-globe on the very top of the pyramid-shape, it does not match the form of the outline. The half-globe itself is spherical therefore demands a shade of colour that correlates with the curve of the outline.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Here I've depicted the half-globe and two kinds of shading. The kind of shading you see in the middle section is called "cut up shading" and is not recommended for henagonal shapes, as a henagon simply has one edge, while such shading would only be suitable for a shape that boasts of two or more sides, such as a triangle or a quadrilateral.

2. Your light sourcing is quite confusing in certain parts of the building. From what I can see, the light source is stemming from the top left hand corner of the building, therefore all aspects of the sprite should signify exactly that, but they don't. There are inconsistencies with the shadowing.

The reason for this is the lack of shading in certain areas, and some that could use a darker shade.

The lack of shading on the building contradicts that of the half-globe. Where is that spot of light coming from?

That area of the half-globe is coated in shadow while the P remains completely untouched.

Surely it isn't night time, the sunlight ought to seep somewhere in this area. Imagine a block of lego next to a table lamp. Turn the lamp on and try to figure out what areas of the building AND the ground will illuminate, whether completely or even slightly. Those are the areas you need to consider.

3. The colouring of this entire building is far too simplistic and the pallet itself is questionable, but that's my personal preference. However, I do advise looking at building sprites already in one of the games for a good idea on how to lay out your shading.

So overall, there's room for improvement. But no worries, it's better to keep trying. Nice building, but there are a few areas that do need tweaking.

Explanation for the P: I was trying to go for the it's lit up from the inside look

Anyways, that was a very helpful post as I am completely hopeless at shading as of right now. Hopefully it looks better now because I think it does. Here's the version 4 of the pokemon center. Please note that the dark version you were critiquing was the version three, and my last post included both of them for a side-by-side comparison.

Here's the old version, new version and pokemon center picture in that order:

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
    Years
    you kinda have the shading down... but also, i'm noticing with the structural layout of your building, that little portico isn't 3D like the roof is... you should have that taken into account, or else you're portraying a strange angle of the building (where it looks almost curved from top to bottom)

KajiVenator

The Flame Huntzman
    Years
    I actually removed the roof above the doorway so I could keep track of the doorway. I know that it would look better with it, probably, but I want to make sure that the actual building is done first and then I'll do the little roof. Building first, roof second.

Robert Conley

GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley
    Years
    I like the second one better.

But why has no one said anything about my pokecenter? ._.

I don't really do anything with buildings so I can't say much but to me it looks a little bland color wise and the color of the buildings shadow at first glance causes it to look like part of the building. If you could somehow make the color of the building more different than the shadow that would probably be better.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2012
    I'm not sure if this is considered spriting as it is not pokemon related, but it uses the same technique
    Spoiler:

Here are three custom pokemon
    Spoiler:

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
    Here's a couple of sprites I've done:

This is a repose of Mudkip:
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    I just though Mudkip would look really cute pointing at the player :)

And a Fakemon, Fersine:
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    This was my original sprite, but the pose was WAY off and it looked kinda awkward, so...

Spriters Showcase Thread
    This is my improved sprite, where I tried to put it in more of a 'battle' pose.

CC wanted?

Asgard

Why you little...
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 31, 2020
    @BlueDartX: I like the tree in the first image. There isn't a lot of shading in it, but it kind of works somehow. The trunk is a bit straight, though. It's also kind of thick - it seems like it would belong to a tall tree, but the person standing next to it is nearly as tall as it. The person's arms are a bit short (or the hands take up too much of the arm, one of the two). The blue fluffy thing is cute and simple - reminds me of a cross between a cloud and a dog. xD; The other tree you have isn't as good as the first one. The highlights seem like they were put randomly, and the large bright parts stand out too much. I'm no good at spriting scenery myself, so my suggestion is to look at either/both pictures of trees or sprites of trees next time. :>

The first Fakemon you made seems really rough. There are a bunch of places where the angle of the line changes suddenly, causing angles where there shouldn't be angles. There isn't a lot of shading, especially on the wings. The shading there is seems a bit messy. The eyes are also kind of weird shapes - they're different shapes, too... :< I like the concept, though.

Your other two Fakemon are much better. If you were going for Pokemon game style, there is a bit too much black outline (seen on the wings of both, but mainly the second one's right wing). I love the second one's face and concept - the colors are nice, too. Am I correct in assuming that the third one is the evolution of the second? If so, I'd suggest adding a red belly to the third - it would make it more interesting to look at, since it's kind of plain in comparison. In my opinion, the third Fakemon is the best of the three, and besides adding the red belly I would think about making the head face a bit more towards the viewer. The pose is awesome, by the way.

@Conan: The black outline of the eyes and the mouth kind of takes over the rest of the face, especially since the head is not outlined in a dark color itself. I would experiment with giving the head/hands a darker color and the eyes/mouth a lighter color.

@Kon~: Aww, what a cute Mudkip! I think that the head should be facing the viewer a bit more though :> The eyes also look a little beady.

Fersine's new pose looks a lot better than its old one, in my opinion. My only complaint is that the entire sprite looks a bit... rounded and smooth, especially the mane thing (or is it supposed to be rounded there? I dunno). The joints kind of look like spaghetti-joints - the 'elbows' are all rounded and curved like elbow pasta =w=; (I apologize for my lack of ability to explain things) Also, its back left foot curves down a little bit. I think it would look more natural if it were straight. :> The color scheme is kind of bland (the two colors are pretty similar) and there aren't many special markings that make it memorable, though. I would suggest playing around with other color schemes/shades of the colors you have already (or maybe adding another color?) - but it might work if you just added some markings/colorations to the body. :>

Wow that took a while =w=;

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
    @Kon~: Aww, what a cute Mudkip! I think that the head should be facing the viewer a bit more though :> The eyes also look a little beady.

Fersine's new pose looks a lot better than its old one, in my opinion. My only complaint is that the entire sprite looks a bit... rounded and smooth, especially the mane thing (or is it supposed to be rounded there? I dunno). The joints kind of look like spaghetti-joints - the 'elbows' are all rounded and curved like elbow pasta =w=; (I apologize for my lack of ability to explain things) Also, its back left foot curves down a little bit. I think it would look more natural if it were straight. :> The color scheme is kind of bland (the two colors are pretty similar) and there aren't many special markings that make it memorable, though. I would suggest playing around with other color schemes/shades of the colors you have already (or maybe adding another color?) - but it might work if you just added some markings/colorations to the body. :>

I can see what you mean... sorta. ~

Yes, the mane was supposed to be rounded like that, but I can see your concerns about the elbows etc. I'll see what I can do about ... hardening (?) them a little, and I'll straighten that back foot. I can also (NOW) see about the colouring. In all honesty, I had no idea of what to do about the colours, so I'll spend some time redesigning and see what I end up with.

Thank you!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back