• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jappio

Prophet of Lightning
    Years
    Got some info on my sprite in a few spots, so I've made updates. I'm liking a lot how it's turning out, but I fear I'm probably not done with it. Comments and criticisms are still very much welcome.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Edit:

Ok I actually did a tad more messing around with the face. Different angle obviously. Lost the Cyclops look in the least. I tried fixing the pose up too.

Spriters Showcase Thread

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
    Going to make a 5th gen thread.
    Here's the start.
    Female Side OW
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Male Front OW
    Spriters Showcase Thread

NOT FOR PUBLIC
    I'm looking forward to that thread of yours. As of now, your overworlds seem fine. There's something bugging me about them, but I guess it's just the style that looks weird. After all, 3D is going to be implemented there. Also, you can work on the outline of the hair for a bit. Good luck Ben =]

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Hay PA, long time no see. Here, have a sprite. It's the first one I've made in months.

Spriters Showcase Thread

I've been working on this for the past couple of days. In case you couldn't tell, it's a GSC styled sprite of Tropius, based off the art on this card.

I would like to animate it but I'm not very satisfied with it at all, so this is probably all I'll do with it.

Years
    First of all, I quite like the way you've shaded this, it definitely looks like a devamp and you didn't cut corners with the colour. However, I feel a few weak spots lie in the outline itself.

What I've noticed first is the lack of definition in its green leaves. As you can see from the card image, the leaves are cut up near the end of each of them, and the shape appears to be more oval and like an actual leaf. So it'd be great if you could add more detail to them so they do look more like leaves.

Secondly, the jaw of the Tropius is shaped rather oddly. Again, you should take a closer look at the jaw in your reference picture and perhaps reshape it to fit its original depiction.

Thirdly, the back leg bothers me a bit, judging by the CG, its hind frame should be pushed further up and slightly tilted to the left, which would accurately depict the largeness of its body. Tropius is no small Pokemon, and in other pictures of it you can tell that its body fat and largeness is mostly emphasised on its back rather than its front.

Being a little nitpicky now, the hooves are usually yellow, yet here they are green. I know the devamped style is very limited in colours, but since the hooves are a light colour, perhaps you could have reflected that by colouring them white? I don't think it matters too much really, just thought I'd point it out.

Anyway, that's all I have to say after taking a look at it. Despite everything I said above, I think it looks nice. :)

Years
    Alright, the first thing I noticed about your Weedle is its unnatural posture, it looks about ready to topple over. And I say that because it looks as though it hasn't got much to support its weight on. Granted, most pictures of Weedle show it to have a slightly bigger front than its tail, but the tail itself in those pictures are still at reasonable sizes...so much that it looks like it can actually support the weight Weedle is putting on it by standing its figure up. Here the difference in size is much more glaring, you can see how big the body is at the front in contast to its...small tail. You've drawn it far too small and thin. If you zoom in on the sprite and look at it more closely, you will see that the tail is small, stiff and straight, while the rest of Weedle's body fairly big, slightly tilted to one side and unable to control its own form, you can see this as it is leaning further to its right, making it look as if it's going to fall over. I'd suggest increasing the size of its tail at least, and perhaps straightening up Weedle's head and body so it is shown to actually be up straight.

Moving onto your Pikachu, one look at it and you can already tell there's something very odd about it. In fact, when you first glance at this sprite, the first thing you will notice is its very circular head. Come on, dude! This isn't a Jigglypuff you're drawing!

Remember that Pokemon were also born with skeletons, so when drawing one you've got to bear in mind where exactly you need to change pace with your outline. In some areas, you may be required to add certain curves, in others you may need to go linear. You'd better help yourself if you had a reference picture with you so you can better understand how you should draw the frame.

So let's find a reference picture, shall we?

Spoiler:

Look at its Pikachu, see its head? It compliments the body quite well, and it is not overly spherical as it appears to be in your sprite, instead...it is at a reasonable size and slots quite well on the body, the back of its head is smoothly outlined with a slight tangent, and the only real curve that you can see is on Pikachu's cheek. Of course, its cheeks are cushioned, chubby if you like, so artists should always put emphasis on that. Now take another look at your sprite, as you can see from its head, there is no definition, you've made its head look like an outright balloon. I'd recommend using this image to help you tweak your sprite, since this is the most glaring disproportion on the figure.

Next thing I noticed is the tail, it looks far too wonky and stiff. Take another look at the reference picture, you can see that Pikachu's tail is more upright, and its ridges appear to be spaced out; like a zig-zag. What I recommend is using the Line Tool on Paint to draw this out. A Pikachu's tail is littered with many pointy edges, so it would be ideal. I assure you, a tail drawn with that tool would look a lot better with your sprite.

Another thing I see wrong is its feet, namely the one to its right. One thing you've got to take into consideration is perspective, if a Pokemon is to face a certain direction, how would its features look? When I look at your sprite, I noticed that you were trying to bring Pikachu's foot towards us, not only is that perspective odd, the foot is too low down to actually reflect it properly. Take another look at the sprite, you can see Pikachu is not looking towards us the viewers, but to its right, therefore shouldn't its leg at least show that much?

Let's find another picture...

Spoiler:

Can you see Pikachu lifting its leg up? You can see its knee and its foot quite clearly, can't you? Personally I think the way this leg is positioned would look much better on your sprite. And should you decide to tweak it at all and add that spice, remember that it would change the position of its left foot.

So to summarise, it's good that you are trying to make sprites from scratch, and they were certainly good attempts, but you're a lot more likely to botch up the proportions in which the sprite is supposed to have if you don't look at references. Do it, they help out a lot more than you think they would and they give you a better idea of how to structure the form of whatever Pokemon you're trying to draw. Same goes for that Weedle, use a reference picture to give you a better idea of how to draw certain things about it.

Dots

Temporary Avvie. ^^'
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2012
    Leaving the feet and tail aside, I could notice a few errors in your sprite. Pikachu's supposed to be a bit rounder at the bottom where his body is attached to his feet. His eyes are a bit further apart on the references posted above your post, so I suggest you put a pixel more into the distance between them. Pikachu have straight long ears that end with a sharp point, and you've got to include that in your sprite.

You're getting better at this. Keep trying! ^^

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
    Years
    I love the pose ray :3
    Anyways, you overkilled it with the dithering :3
    its especially noticeable on the leaves. (I'm assuming your doing gsc style)
    You usually don't want too much lighting or it might look pretty ugly, even if its a superb outline and pose.
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Now I made a few edits of my own to your sprite. Some of the outline was a bit too rough for my tastes so I smoothed it out. But as you can see I really focused on the leaves. Now you see I didn't really put in too much lighting, because since your only using about 4 and usually your only lightsource will be white. You don't want to overkill the lighting. You did a fine job on the shading though ray. I also put some lighting on the neck, It just seemed so blank over there.

Anyways its a wonderfull sprite ray, just needs some minor alterations fixed up, and it should be wonderful sprite. (And maybe you can even animate it)

Dots

Temporary Avvie. ^^'
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2012
    The dinosaur is ... unnatural. His tail bends at a 90 degrees angle, which you won't find in nature no matter how hard you try. The outline is choppy and there isn't a defined light source. Keep in mind that for pokemon sprites, the light source is at the top left corner.

Diglett looks fine although the outline could use some more tweaking. For your Weedle, paying attention to what Signomi mentioned a few posts above would drastically help.

Electrode could use some shading, right now it looks as if it has a dent in its side. You might want to look at the official sprites and use them as shading references.

For the cloud, it looks anything but natural ... Looking at sprites with wool/cotton might help with adding texture to your work after you round up that outline.

I have nothing to say about your Luvdisc Evolution(?) other than that the outlining is inconsistent and that the shading could use some more work.

Years
    I love the pose ray :3
    Anyways, you overkilled it with the dithering :3
    its especially noticeable on the leaves. (I'm assuming your doing gsc style)
    You usually don't want too much lighting or it might look pretty ugly, even if its a superb outline and pose.
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Now I made a few edits of my own to your sprite. Some of the outline was a bit too rough for my tastes so I smoothed it out. But as you can see I really focused on the leaves. Now you see I didn't really put in too much lighting, because since your only using about 4 and usually your only lightsource will be white. You don't want to overkill the lighting. You did a fine job on the shading though ray. I also put some lighting on the neck, It just seemed so blank over there.

Anyways its a wonderfull sprite ray, just needs some minor alterations fixed up, and it should be wonderful sprite. (And maybe you can even animate it)

Personally I feel as though your rendition of his sprite is a lot worse off, in fact it looks very unnatural. You criticised his use of dithering and overdose of lighting, however, in that eagerness to mend that you've actually rid the leaves of their distinct form. The highlights you've given the leaves are scarce and makes them look more like inflated bubbles rather than flat, shimmering leaves. Not only that, the dominating base colour of the leaves create a complete contrast to the light source that was actually noticeable in the original sprite. Have you wondered why Amachi used a lot of highlighting on the leaves? It is because the light source is shining onto Tropius from above, and leaves being made out of the glossy coat that they are, would reflect that much by letting the sun's rays illuminate much of it.

Spriters Showcase Thread

See the shine on the leaf of Chikorita's head? By your calculation, that shine should be replaced with an odd white pixelled line floating in an odd direction. Tell me, would that look any better? No, it wouldn't...because you've stripped the leaf of its proper attribute, being that it is supposed to be a part of nature that glistens towards the light that faces it.

I can agree, however, that the shine on the Tropius sprite should be tapered slightly so it reflect what angles on the leaf are more likely to be shined upon, and which are most likely to be shadowed.

InfernoHo-Oh

has returned
    Years
    Can I get a rating etc on this revamp?
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Thanks :) Also, this is my style of shading, it's not meant to be like R/S/E or D/P/Pt, HG/SS.

Dots

Temporary Avvie. ^^'
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2012
    Everything look great about it except the hair and side-ribbons. For the hair, the outlining could be rounded up more it make it seem like it's billowing behind him, right now it doesn't really look well.

Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread

See here, for example, the lines marking the boundaries of the first sprite's hair are smooth and look realistic. The outline is colored, with the highlights visible only at the tips where the light-source is and the shadows where it'll barely reach. Adding color to the outline and replacing the highlights would do wonders to your revamp. Same applies to the ribbon.

Your attempt is a good one, and your shading style doesn't really differ a lot from the official one. With the things I pointed out fixed, I'm sure that this revamp would look almost the same as the one I posted above. ^^

Years
    Here's my grass starter.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Fawleaf. Comments?

How adorable. :3

Anyhow, I'd like to bring up that the outlines are pretty dark. =o I suggest to use the second darkest shade for some outlines. ^..^
    I'm not sure if it's just me, but the white sections in the sprite look odd. I wish I had a suggestion for the white parts of the sprite. Oh, and lastly, The pose is nice, but one of the front legs look awkward. =o
    its pretty good. but i see that inbetween the legs, there is a small bit of shading that should be on the stomach

i added some color to my pikachu. also, i edited the ears.

Spriters Showcase Thread
    Alrighty, I'll give come tips and comments.
    It's a cute pose you're trying to make, I'll give ya that.
    Well, there's some problems with it, though. =x I'll start with outlines. The outlines are all one color, and it's gray. Okay, well, I'm no big fan of a single colored outlines when it comes to sprite art. I always suggest to use the second darkest shade for some outlines. The shading is kinda sloppy.
    The best idea I had for you was to study some Pikachu sprites. You get an idea of shading and sizes of body parts. Example; The size of the tail you made. It's too big. =[ The tail shouldn't be bigger than its face. Speaking of the face, there's some errors there, too. The eyes are placed too close to each other, and one looks like it was cut in half. O..O;; Like I suggested; study the Pikachu sprites, and see how far or how close the eyes should be placed. =] For the arms, it's cute, but I think you should add some fingers. ^..^;; And last, I'll talk about the feet. Check out the third Pikachu sprite. Look at where the foot is placed when the sprite has the foot raised and the other foot below.
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    Anyway, to both of you, you guys made pretty cute sprites. You just need some work, and your sprite could be even better. =]

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back