• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • I have picked up the mouse and opened paint once again.

Lucaseyecatch.png

Lucas Devamp

Dawneyecatch.png

Dawn Devamp (I'm not really too happy with this one)

gol

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2010
    @ Siper X

That probably belongs in the fusions/recolors thread...

First, it's JPEG'd. Always save as PNG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Second, The pallette is basic paint colors.
    Third, it's stretched out (or is that the JPEG?)

Try to fix those, and it will be better!

Years
  • I'm NOT a spriter, but I decided to try revamps. I have a lot that I want done for my hack so I picked up the mouse and tried.

mareeprevamp.png
    blastrevamp.png

How are they? I've never done revamps before, my only experience with Pokemon sprites is recolouring and a tiny bit of fusions. So don't be too harsh on me :3

Dots

Temporary Avvie. ^^'
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2012

Right now, it's pretty bland, and doesn't really fit in with the official style. The pose is a little boring too. Wouldn't a cobra/snake pokemon have a move coiled tail? The one you've got is too straight to look natural. As a pointer, always compare your sprites to official ones while working, in this case, Ekans and Arbok, to make sure you're on the right track and to avoid having to redo all of the sprite.

Spr_4d_024.png
    Spr_4d_023.png

(Ekans and Arbok from Platinum)

Honestly, I can't really tell what this pokemon is based off. What you have now seems to be a frog/lizard mix with sand flowing out of it. I cant really offer any tips on this one because of its vagueness, but I advise you to fix the anatomy and face structure to make whatever it is based on a little more recognizable. As for the sand, you might want to use Hippowdon as a reference picture.

450.png

(Hippowdon from Platinum)

Bunneh! Unfortunately, this guy's going to need a lot of work before fitting in with the official sprites. The most noticeable errors you've got there are the bend of the ear, which looks unnatural, and the fact that it's going to topple down because of its disproportionate body. The eyes look hollow and unnatural too, as if someone had stuck two gems there. Buneary used as a reference would be helpful.

Spr_4d_427.png
    Spr_4p_427.png

(Buneary from Diamond/Pearl and Platinum, respectively)

Um ... ? Loads of work needed since this looks very unrealistic. The most notable thing about it is how the shading doesn't reflect the possible bents and curves featured in hanging sheets. Also the color is too monotonous and the eyes follow the same method you used for the previous pokemon. For folds, you might want to check Duskull and Shuppet out, since they might offer guidance on that sort of thing.

Spr_3r_353.png
    Spr_4d_353.png
    Spr_4d_355.png

(Shuppet from R/S/E and Platinum, Duskull from Platinum)

Most importantly, your concepts need and basic outline are what need the most attention. I hope this post has helped you improved and I'd to see the results after they're finished. Keep working and you'll gradually improve!

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    I haven't tried fakemon in a long time, so I tried this design of a steel beetle I've had and I really would like some criticism, as well as which variation of the stance is better

000000000xP001.png

000000000xP001a.png

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
    Years

• From a glance I can already name at least 3 ways you can fix up the sprites.

1. Smoothen the outline (The outline you currently have is sketchy, look at some pokemon sprites they dont have sketchy outlines)
    2. Put in some shading, The pose if fine but if you dont have any shading/lighting it looks flat
    3. Never save as .jpeg, save as .png instead.

Your going to have to resprite this using a program using layers, either that or respriting it completely.

MiniM00se

Toad in a stroller
    Years
  • I made this badge for a Pokemon League thing where I'm the Ice type gym leader (On different forums).

It's the Arctic Badge.
    12938392.png

Thoughts?

fudgy

so i herd you liek mudkipz?
    Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2010
    programs.

which programs do you use? (pixel art)
    currently lost photoshop, and cant get used to the default paint :(

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
  • Well, as long as the topic exists, I guess it couldn't hurt to answer...

I prefer MS Paint, since it has the simplest UI. It's actually what I used in all of my tutorials.

fudgy

so i herd you liek mudkipz?
    Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2010
    ty, i now should read the the posting rules, sorry my b.

Years
  • I'm NOT a spriter, but I decided to try revamps. I have a lot that I want done for my hack so I picked up the mouse and tried.

mareeprevamp.png
    blastrevamp.png

How are they? I've never done revamps before, my only experience with Pokemon sprites is recolouring and a tiny bit of fusions. So don't be too harsh on me :3
    Pretty good job with those. I don't think you need to keep much of the dithering from the original since you have 16 colors to work with, but all of it is in less noticeable areas for the most part. I would smooth out the highlight over Blastoise's eye and possible the arm, too. They're a bit jagged. Also, on that same arm the nail furthest to the right has a lighter outline than the left side when it should be the other way around to be consistent with the direction of the lighting.

I made this badge for a Pokemon League thing where I'm the Ice type gym leader (On different forums).

It's the Arctic Badge.
    12938392.png

Thoughts?
    Well, ignoring the fact that snow flakes have 6 arms instead of four, it's not bad. A little bit simple design-wise, but the colors are good, the reflection effect with the lighter area is good. I don't really like how the outlines on the points are one pixel off. It seems a bit halfway to me. I'd either make the whole thing straight or I'd make the difference greater and go with a more elaborate outline.

i did major editing on my ghost-dude, seeing that it is my worst at the time(other than the sand- thing, but i dont see a way of that being fixed anytime soon)
    021ps.png
    It's an improvement, but I think you could get more out of this. The eyes are a nice design element. Having the one cut off makes it look like they're flat on the 'sheet' and the cut off one is wrapping around the edge. That's fine, but I'd be nice to see a little more of it since over half is missing.

Right now it looks as though we're staring at it at about eye level. Its eyes are equal in height. The shading is mostly of a left/right variety. All this makes it look a bit static, a bit like it's a flat picture. On the official sprites you'll notice that a lot of the time the eyes are not equal in height (or size for that matter) and usually aren't so close to the top of the head, or the portion of the body we can think of as the head. When the eyes are the focus of your sprites (because let's face it, there's not much else to look at here) they need to do more than sit there.

The shading is getting there. Cloth is hard to make look realistic. Right now you shading is smooth and that would be perfect for something round, but with folds and ripples you get weird shapes. I'd look more at the ghost pokemon sprites Dots pointed out. For a real world exercise in shading you can also try holding up something like a shirt to a lamp to see how the light plays with it. That's to get the 'feel' of shading. Spriting it will be trial and error.

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    Here are some fakemon I made. They are supposed to be the three starters plus the first of an early Normal-type family.

Bloomeow.png

Bloomeow
    Grass

Flaribbit.png

Flaribbit
    Fire

Squill.png

Squill
    Water

Furmine.png

Furmine
    Normal

Comments? Critiques?

Last edited:

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    does anyone know what size a challenge sprite(like my avatar) has to be?
    The same size as the one in your avatar? Well the height, according to the one I just checked, is 64 pixels in the official ones where they cut off the picture. The width is something around 90 or a hundred, but none get cut off on both sides so its hard to tell exactly. That helpful?

Years
  • Decided to dabble into spriting again and surprisingly made a trainer I'm actually proud of, although I think the parts I used are a little too obvious....

30m1qg8.jpg

Comments and advice on improvements are more then welcome.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back