• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2024
    This is my second try on my first fakemon.

Spriters Showcase Thread

If i ever make a hack this will be a starter.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Proportions are really bad, shading is pretty lacklustre (where the outlines at?), those look nothing like boxing gloves (Go study some of Balrog's sprites or something) and you know those feet are terrible.

This is my second try on my first fakemon.

Spriters Showcase Thread

If i ever make a hack this will be a starter.

Completely unneccessary dithering and colours. You barely need to use any dithering and rarely do Pokémon show more more than three shades of colour - flat, shadows and a very sparsley used highlight. The light source should be coming from the top left as opposed to directly above while its spines should see a much more noticeable change in brightness when being in the light.

Biggest problem is that it's facing far too much in profile (side-facing) for a Pokémon sprite - they should be facing much more towards the screen at an angle.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • SI: I only got problems with the face xD and the sweatshirt has bad shading, maybe thats why?

Bwb: ..Try not to use some much dithering. Its ok, but use "normal' shading more. and also the position of the sprite effects where the highlights/shadows are. there not just top-left : bottom-right. and make it face a lil towards us. not too much.
    Otherwise good job

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    I'd made some changes before you'd posted, Mega:
    Spriters Showcase Thread

And I'll follow your advice, thanks :D

The only thing I can see that is off is that the hoodie pulls and the atari design make it look like the sweatshirt is facing the left instead of the right. They should be shifted more to the right instead of centered between the arms, to line up with the actual center of the shirt if he is facing that way.

Years
  • The shading on the pants look quite boring and very layered. It doesn't look natural, you could try using some references by searching or getting some images. I think there could be a slight bend on his back leg and the pants itself lacks some more contrast.

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2013
    Thanks for the feedback on the ant. I've fixed his cap, but I can't really do much with the mouth at that scale. Anyway, I have another sprite I'd like to be critiqued. Whilst for the ant I had a concept sketch to draw the outline over, this one was done entirely from scratch. I present Fotolo, the projector pokemon. Judge away!

Attachments

• Spriters Showcase Thread
      132.png
      5 KB · Views: 17
    Last edited:

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
  • Hey, I am making some trainer sprites for a hack, and I am wondering which changes I need to make:
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Also, which one is the most professional of these.

Last edited:

Blizzard-Prince

digitalARTIST not for hire
    Years

Rate my fire ant too please? :)

@Spherical Ice- You have quite some issues with shading on both the pants and the hoodie. For me, you should 'thin out' his upper legs more. The gloves look better now.

The other problem I have would be his back foot. It's bent at a really odd angle. Maybe you should make it point just a bit lower down? The white sole of the shoe at the very back shouldn't be visible too, if we're taking perspective into order.

^SuitUp^

Awesome Soon to be Spriter
    Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2012
    Can anyone tell who my sprite in avtar is? its my first trainer sprite.

Tv: I'd use the second one.

Last edited:

dr4g0n12

Δράκος
    Years
  • Hey, I am making some trainer sprites for a hack, and I am wondering which changes I need to make:
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Also, which one is the most professional of these.
    The 3rd one is the best.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

A sprite I made, not sure what it really is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
  • Okay, I need some serious C&C for this.

I'm trying to get all my resources for a game I'm trying to create.
    I'm making a VS Sprite of the 1st Gym Leader, who is Mira from D/P/Pt. It's heavily based on her Sugimori artwork.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Considering I kinda suck at making sprites, I quite like this one.
    From looking at the VS sprites in game, I thought the outline had to be black, so I adapted to that.
    But I'm having a lot of trouble spriting the face. I only managed to make one average eye. Can someone give me any tips? I've been staring at VS Sprites from actual games for hours now...

Also, am I shading everything correctly?

EDIT:

Updated the sprite with a few little nit-picks I found.
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Last edited:

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
  • I also need some harsh C&C on these two:

Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread

I know they both kinda suck, so I need to know how to improve them. Especially the colours.

Years
  • I also need some harsh C&C on these two:

Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread

I know they both kinda suck, so I need to know how to improve them. Especially the colours.
    The eyes are a good place to start. They are not pokemon VS sprite style, for starters. Barring some of the new Gen V ones the eyes come in three broad categories and have a different "feel" to them.

The big anime-style eyes:
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread

The smaller anime-style eyes:

Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Spriters Showcase Thread

And the tiny-dot-in-a-big-white-eye style:

Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Except for the last category none of them have any white showing at the bottom of the eye. Generally it's a colored iris, usually dark, with a light grey to one or both sides. The faces are around half light and half dark with more light on the big eyed sprites for that extra bright quality. Too much shadow makes them look sinister, but even those need some light on them and I don't think your first sprite has enough of that. Too much shadow and the whole sprite overall looks too dark. The official sprites have varying light and dark areas and I think it makes them look better. They're more dynamic, I guess you could say.

I also think the first sprite's eyes are too large. If you want something more 'cool' or a more mature feeling you need smaller eyes to reflect that. Also look at the shapes of the mouths. They are longer on the faces that are smiling or grinning, generally. (These aren't the best examples, but you can look at others). I'd suggest shortening the mouth or opening it a little and adding some of that white that gets used there.

You have some complicated hair to work with. Generally you'd want just two shades for the main part of the hair (light and dark) and maybe a third darker shade for line work. Hair highlights as you've made them aren't used much and when they are they're not as large. Having multicolored hair is another challenge. I can suggest removing the outlines between the two colors. I think it would be okay to have the black and red touching and it would mean you don't loose space for outlines.

On the other sprite you don't need to have as much detail in the hair. You should also alter the way the head is shaded since the light on the body is more from the top and the head has some sideways lighting going on. Tone down the colors, too. The green especially is too neon. The eyes should not be exactly the same shape, and I don't know why you have no dark pupils in them, but it's of course not pokemon-style to have them that way. Also, it would be okay if the mustache extended past the outline of the head, but you seemed to shorten it a little on left side.

Yeah, I think that's enough for now. @_@

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
  • The eyes are a good place to start. They are not pokemon VS sprite style, for starters. Barring some of the new Gen V ones the eyes come in three broad categories and have a different "feel" to them.

The big anime-style eyes:
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread

The smaller anime-style eyes:

Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Spriters Showcase Thread

And the tiny-dot-in-a-big-white-eye style:

Spriters Showcase Thread
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Except for the last category none of them have any white showing at the bottom of the eye. Generally it's a colored iris, usually dark, with a light grey to one or both sides. The faces are around half light and half dark with more light on the big eyed sprites for that extra bright quality. Too much shadow makes them look sinister, but even those need some light on them and I don't think your first sprite has enough of that. Too much shadow and the whole sprite overall looks too dark. The official sprites have varying light and dark areas and I think it makes them look better. They're more dynamic, I guess you could say.

I also think the first sprite's eyes are too large. If you want something more 'cool' or a more mature feeling you need smaller eyes to reflect that. Also look at the shapes of the mouths. They are longer on the faces that are smiling or grinning, generally. (These aren't the best examples, but you can look at others). I'd suggest shortening the mouth or opening it a little and adding some of that white that gets used there.

You have some complicated hair to work with. Generally you'd want just two shades for the main part of the hair (light and dark) and maybe a third darker shade for line work. Hair highlights as you've made them aren't used much and when they are they're not as large. Having multicolored hair is another challenge. I can suggest removing the outlines between the two colors. I think it would be okay to have the black and red touching and it would mean you don't loose space for outlines.

On the other sprite you don't need to have as much detail in the hair. You should also alter the way the head is shaded since the light on the body is more from the top and the head has some sideways lighting going on. Tone down the colors, too. The green especially is too neon. The eyes should not be exactly the same shape, and I don't know why you have no dark pupils in them, but it's of course not pokemon-style to have them that way. Also, it would be okay if the mustache extended past the outline of the head, but you seemed to shorten it a little on left side.

Yeah, I think that's enough for now. @_@

Ah, thank you thank you thank you :) !
    I'll work on them :)

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years

Well, I'm not sure if .gif's are allowed here, but is this a good animation?
    And I tried to add something extra to VS sprites by including teams, so it's kinda like the Wifi in B/W

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back